Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?  (Read 13625 times)

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 03:28:06 pm »

Nogibator, would you be willing to give me access to all of your finances? It is only right that we make the open source so we can make it so much better than it already is! Also if you want an open source game of DF the closest I can give you is Dungeon Master on byond, and that game went severely downhill when it went open source.

(I know some of you will diss that game but, if it wasn't for that very byond game I would have never found DF.)

I don't store my finances in form of information, because it's stupid and gives banks freedom to create money virtually from air. I receive my pay in paper currency, and would be willing to go with something more physical, like gold coins, if our government wasn't so fascist.
But the banks deserve the rights to your finances just like how the government has the open source to use anything except gold coins you leftist nut.
Although by now I'm pretty sure this guy is just a troll now.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 03:28:22 pm »

So you would say there should be total freedom of information? No intellectual property at all?

Absolutely. You can't restrict information that can help other people.

Your credit card numbers and expiration dates, now please.

Oh, let's not kid ourselves.  Your parents' credit card numbers and expiration dates.  Now, please.

As I've said i don't keep credits. And if you are willing to use such pathetic insults for arguments you are only making yourself look stupid.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:39 pm »

My avatar is a goblin with a fake beard wielding a fork as a magic wand, man!  You think I'm concerned about appearances?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 03:30:09 pm »

When Hurricane Katrina hit, shit went down.
Imagine this scenario:
There are 4 people:
Person A has a car
Person B has food and water
Person C has medical supplies
Person D has a gun

At the end of the day, guess who has everything? So, what is the best investment?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 03:31:50 pm »

No, kids, free software is cool, but are you really saying that any information created by anyone should be shared with everyone? I don't want everyone to read my journals and poetry and that's all, thanks a lot.

I appreciate the effort of Stallman and other, but DF is Toady's baby, and you have no right to it. Feel free to code another, open-sourced one if you want.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 03:33:26 pm »

Imagine this scenario:
There are 4 people:
Person A has a car
Person D has a gun

At the end of the day, guess who has everything? So, what is the best investment?

I'm going to be honest with you, I'm stuck between Person A and Person D, I mean if Person A sees Person D taking out Person B or C, he could use his car to run over Person D, get the gun and then shoot whoever left to get the rest of the supplies.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 03:33:29 pm »

I don't store my finances in form of information, because it's stupid and gives banks freedom to create money virtually from air. I receive my pay in paper currency, and would be willing to go with something more physical, like gold coins, if our government wasn't so fascist.

Pretty much an obvious troll.
But who expected serious discussion in a thread titled with all caps?
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »

Ok. In that case, there would be no income at all from things like software, music, any media really. Because everyone would just claim it was their's and they didn't have to pay for it.

Therefore, they wouldn't exist.
You may not be able to imagine it, but true artists don't work for money, they work for the sake of expressing themselves, that's why it's called art. Also people are willing to donate for people who actually makes good art. Like people here, who donate for df which is not free but free to download. By your logic no one would be donating to df since you can just download it. So called "Intellectual property" leads to abominations like justin bieber making money off plainly disgusting "art" and things like trajectories(google recent boeing lawsuit) getting legally banned from other people.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 03:35:20 pm »

All money is created virtually from air, due to supply and demand, due to things people have and want. Without a market for such things, nothing has worth and there is no money, so once again you're claiming something could be better if it didn't exist.

you don't understand economics, sorry.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 03:36:28 pm »

By your logic no one would be donating to df since you can just download it.

Yes, they would, because they appreciate the work that's gone into it.
By your logic nobody should donate because it's not "free".
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »

Nogibator, would you be willing to give me access to all of your finances? It is only right that we make the open source so we can make it so much better than it already is! Also if you want an open source game of DF the closest I can give you is Dungeon Master on byond, and that game went severely downhill when it went open source.

(I know some of you will diss that game but, if it wasn't for that very byond game I would have never found DF.)

But the banks deserve the rights to your finances just like how the government has the open source to use anything except gold coins you leftist nut.
Although by now I'm pretty sure this guy is just a troll now.

You are just spewing nonsense. Government have open-source for coins? What?

Also you people seem to have great internet discussion tactics:
1. insult you opponent
2. if he isn't lovering himself to your level of argumentation call him a troll
3. repeat

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 03:38:21 pm »

You sir, have succesfully rustled our jimmies. Now please stop while you are ahead.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 03:39:55 pm »

Imagine this scenario:
There are 4 people:
Person A has a car
Person D has a gun

Best investment is not living with savages.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 03:42:33 pm »

Best investment is not living with savages.

We try not to, but somehow they just find our neighborhood, scream and rage about how we won't give them everything they want, throw their excrement around, and then either wander off on their own or are shown out by the authorities.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 03:45:00 pm »

Yeah, sometimes they say that there should be total freedom of information and rpetty much everything else, that the government are fascists with too much control, that economics is flawed and we'd all be better without money, and it's your right to be allowed to grab anything you can and do anything with it.
Savages?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6