Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?  (Read 13610 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 03:11:06 pm »

How do you even fit in the society with such ideology.

HAHAHAH!

How do you fit in society!?

Do you walk around telling people you refuse to buy their products because you can't do whatever you want with them? Because they made them?
I refuse to buy this game because it's not open source! I refuse to buy this movie, they didn't let me film it.
You know what, screw this! I'm going to refuse to buy food until someone lets me farm it myself.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 03:11:27 pm »

Are you stupid, or just trolling?

Dwarf Fortress is his baby.  This is what he does, what he devotes his time and creativity to.  By rights he could and probably should keep it to himself rather than subject it to the ravages of the loud, ignorant, and probably drooling masses of folk like yourself.  But he doesn't.  He actively encourages modding the game and puts a lot in to make it easy.   Hell, the files to edit game functions are the best-documented part of the whole thing. And when somebody comes up with some very good ideas and shares them with him, such as the research on densities and thermal tolerance on stone by -- I want to say Uristocrat, but not sure -- those may find their way into the game.  You've got no place to demand anything from him, and a very weak foundation on which to be making such a request.

This post composed in Firefox 12.0 for Ubuntu 12.04.  Bitch.

Ritchard Stallman and other hackers and programmers have been doing the same, with the same passion, but were respecting freedom, and it worked out just as good, if not better. Why are you people so close-minded? We're people, not wolves, it's not like everybody wants to hurt you and steal from you. How do you even fit in the society with such ideology.

Also by same logic you have no right to use free software while actively advocating against it.

I have the right to do whatever I damn well please with what I can create for myself, earn for myself, or am freely given.  I have no right to demand anyone else's tangible or intangible property if they don't want to surrender it to me.  And neither do you.  Go back to Windows kid, you make genuine open source developers and users look bad.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 03:14:07 pm »

Toady isnt making this for anyone else. He is making it because he wants to make it. He would probably be better served keeping it to himself, but thankfully he lets us induge orselves in his project. The makers of LibreOffice, Ubuntu, whatever, are making it to distribute a free bit of software. There is a big difference in philosophy there, and I dont think you grasp it.

Open source does not equal better. This argument has been had on here many times and Toady's opinions on it are well known.

If toady makes it for himself- why there are forums set up? Why there are devlogs published? Why he accepts donations and even implements donators requests, like with new animals? Why he gives interviews?

You could say just the same about all the free software developers. And they could set up their proprietary software sites and live off donations, while claiming that they don't actually mean to distribute it to anybody. But free software developers are better then that and this argument is flawed.
And i think that Toady is better than that, but closed-minded people like you keep him from accepting progress.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 03:15:45 pm »

Ok, so at first it was Toady's fault for not letting others at it.
Now it's our fault for for "keeping him from accepting progress".
Who's fault will it be next? Hitler? I'm expecting Godwin's Law to be invoked immediately...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »

No, it's my fault.  At 6 foot and 350 I'm much bigger and stronger than Toady, and I'm a big old hypocrite who hates open source development, despite enjoying its benefits every day.  I intimidate him into monopolizing.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »

How do you even fit in the society with such ideology.

HAHAHAH!

How do you fit in society!?

Do you walk around telling people you refuse to buy their products because you can't do whatever you want with them? Because they made them?
I refuse to buy this game because it's not open source! I refuse to buy this movie, they didn't let me film it.
You know what, screw this! I'm going to refuse to buy food until someone lets me farm it myself.

I just don't use proprietary software as well as i don't support people who act against freedom and good will. You can call it idiocy if you will, but i call it strength of character. Also freedom of information doesn't apply to material goods and such arguments are plainly stupid.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 03:19:06 pm »

So you would say there should be total freedom of information? No intellectual property at all?

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 03:20:08 pm »

Nogibator, would you be willing to give me access to all of your finances? It is only right that we make the open source so we can make it so much better than it already is! Also if you want an open source game of DF the closest I can give you is Dungeon Master on byond, and that game went severely downhill when it went open source.

(I know some of you will diss that game but, if it wasn't for that very byond game I would have never found DF.)
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 03:21:34 pm »

So you would say there should be total freedom of information? No intellectual property at all?

Absolutely. You can't restrict information that can help other people.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 03:22:19 pm »

Absolutely. You can't restrict information that can help other people.

Your credit card numbers and expiration dates, now please.

Oh, let's not kid ourselves.  Your parents' credit card numbers and expiration dates.  Now, please.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »

Would Monet have let others paint in his stead, even when he was going blind? Would Michelangelo let every artist in Italy have a chance to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?
NO.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 03:23:13 pm »

Ok. In that case, there would be no income at all from things like software, music, any media really. Because everyone would just claim it was their's and they didn't have to pay for it.

Therefore, they wouldn't exist.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 03:25:12 pm »

Nogibator, would you be willing to give me access to all of your finances? It is only right that we make the open source so we can make it so much better than it already is! Also if you want an open source game of DF the closest I can give you is Dungeon Master on byond, and that game went severely downhill when it went open source.

(I know some of you will diss that game but, if it wasn't for that very byond game I would have never found DF.)

I don't store my finances in form of information, because it's stupid and gives banks freedom to create money virtually from air. I receive my pay in paper currency, and would be willing to go with something more physical, like gold coins, if our government wasn't so fascist.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 03:26:38 pm »

Okay, the rebel without a clue routine is getting boring.  Wake me when you have a new act.  Maybe something with monkeys?  Everyone loves monkeys.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 03:26:53 pm »

I don't store my finances in form of information, because it's stupid and gives banks freedom to create money virtually from air. I receive my pay in paper currency, and would be willing to go with something more physical, like gold coins, if our government wasn't so fascist.

All money is created virtually from air, due to supply and demand, due to things people have and want. Without a market for such things, nothing has worth and there is no money, so once again you're claiming something could be better if it didn't exist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6