Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?  (Read 13611 times)

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:32:51 pm »

I wanted to start this theme for a while now.

Why Toady keeps df proprietary, when he isn't selling it anyway? Why don't he turn to progressive open-source development? And i mean, if he was a genius-level autistic programmer it could be reasonable to code hundreds of features in his own style and keep lesser men from interrupting, but he is not. Dwarf Fortress is well known for it's issues, there is active feature poll, and it all could be programmed much better and faster, by orders of magnitude, if Toady only turned to repository-based open source development. There are dozens of people here who mod and hack this game as much as they can and they would help develop it.

Toady- I'd like to ask you directly- you claim to be building the game with limitless possibilities. Why don't you let others help?

Are you afraid that somebody may steal your code? But people spew df-clones out at great rate- there are direct clones, there are things like game of dwarves and towns, minecraft, they don't need your code to rip off ideas. Are you afraid that people stop donating? But they didn't go to any other games from dwarf fortress, they won't go to any fork because it's the community that donates you money, and community won't go anywhere from bay12forums.
If that's it, if you are killing this magnificent game because of greed for several thousands dollars- then this is the stupidest monetization method I've ever seen.

And i'd like to urge all the bayers to boycott Toady for disrespecting our freedom. Do not donate- help us make Dwarf fortress better.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: WHY TOADY WON'T RESPECT OUR FREEDOM?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:34:25 pm »

Why do you think this game is owed to you? 

Its his stuff and he can do what he likes with it because you didn't buy it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:39:49 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:41:09 pm »

Why do you think this game is owed to you?

I think it owes much to the community.

Also why are you so aggressive? I merely pointed out objective flaw in development flow. Look at Cataclysm, for example, game is open-source, it has tiny community, and it managed to grow in just a year as much df in all these years.

Why chew a stone when you can make soup?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:48:24 pm »

Also why are you so aggressive?

I'm not being more aggressive than:

He is under absolutely no obligation to do anything for you.  Its his property.  Somehow you seem to think that your "Freedom" is being threatened because a guy won't give out his property to you.  That is frankly just silly.

Why not ask Blizzard for the source code to Diablo 3 and Activision for the source code of MW3 while you are at it? 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:50:08 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 02:51:07 pm »

Consider yourself lucky that someone is willing to share thier life's work with you with little or no obligations on your behalf.
This is a blank sig.

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:52:41 pm »

Wow, you are an entitled little shit to think that Toady is greedy for not open-sourcing his only source of income.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:57:33 pm »

Wow, you are an entitled little shit to think that Toady is greedy for not open-sourcing his only source of income.
^this

You also seem to have a bad definition of the word "freedom".  How about you respect Toady's freedom to handle Dwarf Fortress the way he wants?  It's his game, his choice.  You are trying to take that away from him with your "boycott donations" bullshit.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:59:24 pm »

Also why are you so aggressive?

I'm not being more aggressive than:

He is under absolutely no obligation to do anything for you.  Its his property.  Somehow you seem to think that your "Freedom" is being threatened because a guy won't give out his property to you.  That is frankly just silly.

Why not ask Blizzard for the source code to Diablo 3 and Activision for the source code of MW3 while you are at it?

That's wrong! You haven't heard about free software and non-free software, do you?
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

1. free software doesn't mean "giving" your code to anybody. It means making software free to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve.
2. It's our responsibility to press the developers to make software free, for the good of everybody. Free software is part of freedom in modern society. When people stop fighting for their freedom- at that moment their freedom is often taken away.

Also Blizzard and Activision are pillars of evil and i boycott their products therefore.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:59:34 pm »

+1
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:02:51 pm »

And you are quite entitled to speak for donators. Do you think that people will stop donating because game becomes open-source and much better?
Also insulting people on internet shows lack of arguments.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »

Are you stupid, or just trolling?

Dwarf Fortress is his baby.  This is what he does, what he devotes his time and creativity to.  By rights he could and probably should keep it to himself rather than subject it to the ravages of the loud, ignorant, and probably drooling masses of folk like yourself.  But he doesn't.  He actively encourages modding the game and puts a lot in to make it easy.   Hell, the files to edit game functions are the best-documented part of the whole thing. And when somebody comes up with some very good ideas and shares them with him, such as the research on densities and thermal tolerance on stone by -- I want to say Uristocrat, but not sure -- those may find their way into the game.  You've got no place to demand anything from him, and a very weak foundation on which to be making such a request.

This post composed in Firefox 12.0 as run by Ubuntu 12.04.  Bitch.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:04:50 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 03:04:19 pm »

Toady isnt making this for anyone else. He is making it because he wants to make it. He would probably be better served keeping it to himself, but thankfully he lets us induge orselves in his project. The makers of LibreOffice, Ubuntu, whatever, are making it to distribute a free bit of software. There is a big difference in philosophy there, and I dont think you grasp it.

Open source does not equal better. This argument has been had on here many times and Toady's opinions on it are well known.
This is a blank sig.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 03:08:21 pm »

Are you stupid, or just trolling?

Dwarf Fortress is his baby.  This is what he does, what he devotes his time and creativity to.  By rights he could and probably should keep it to himself rather than subject it to the ravages of the loud, ignorant, and probably drooling masses of folk like yourself.  But he doesn't.  He actively encourages modding the game and puts a lot in to make it easy.   Hell, the files to edit game functions are the best-documented part of the whole thing. And when somebody comes up with some very good ideas and shares them with him, such as the research on densities and thermal tolerance on stone by -- I want to say Uristocrat, but not sure -- those may find their way into the game.  You've got no place to demand anything from him, and a very weak foundation on which to be making such a request.

This post composed in Firefox 12.0 for Ubuntu 12.04.  Bitch.

Ritchard Stallman and other hackers and programmers have been doing the same, with the same passion, but were respecting freedom, and it worked out just as good, if not better. Why are you people so close-minded? We're people, not wolves, it's not like everybody wants to hurt you and steal from you. How do you even fit in the society with such ideology.

Also by same logic you have no right to use free software while actively advocating against it.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 03:08:42 pm »

And i'd like to urge all the bayers to boycott Toady for disrespecting our freedom. Do not donate- help us make Dwarf fortress better.

Yeah, I agree! We should all refuse to support Toady! We should cut off his only source of income he gets from his life work, because he's not sharing it enough with us by refusing to let anyone who wants to grab it with their grubby hands! Why the hell should he be entitled to make money of something he's spent years working on? Who that hell does he think he is!? Letting the main developer starve to death would make DF such a better game!

Sarcasm, by the way, you ungrateful little shit.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 03:10:38 pm »

Ok, think I have seen enough. Assumption: poster is either very deluded or baiting us. Report sent - Toady can deal with it if he wishes, but I am out - I have better things to do than read more of this drivel.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6