Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how deal with a were badger?  (Read 1798 times)

redex 1000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
how deal with a were badger?
« on: June 04, 2012, 08:00:50 am »

this bastard has just crosed the line. he walks up and strikes my dog in the mouth, kncking out every last tooth, then sluaghters the poor thing. it then quickly transforms back into a man and runs out of the map limits before my dwarves can catch him.... how can i reek sweet vengence?

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how deal with a were badger?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:05:16 am »

If you don't have a save set to before he left, then you're out of luck imo. Even if it's possible for it to return (are historical figures like night creatures affected by that same bug as liasons where they stop existing once they leave the map?), the odds of getting that one again are slim to none. Best defense against were-creatures is to just keep your dwarves away so they don't get infected, be glad it only hit a dog I guess.

Maybe it's possible to track it down in adventurer mode?
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:20 am »

Get some plump helmet men to attract him into an area with a  were-rattlesnake.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:43:26 am »

(are historical figures like night creatures affected by that same bug as liasons where they stop existing once they leave the map?)
I thought that was fixed already? I mean, merchants that visited your fort can come back as migrants with any of the wounds they sustained during their last visit.

On topic: Best bet is to have a way to catch trapavoid creatures. I would suggest a retractable bridge with cage traps on the z-level bellow.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:12:19 pm »

Human Law-givers who visit as diplomats still vanish from their civilization listings the instant they leave the map. I had this happen a couple of days ago in a 34.10-generated fort; the human civ had a law-giver/Surgeon and a lady/Whatever.  The Law-giver showed up, said a couple of words to my Baroness, walked off the screen, and the notable figures list was just lady/Whatever.

I haven't even noticed if the same dwarven Liasion has shown up more than once.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:14:35 pm by Ubiq »

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 04:45:00 pm »

Badgers: Bad.
Lycanthropes: Bad.

well yeah you're fucked.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 07:02:59 pm »

how can i reek sweet vengence?

Well, I suppose you could roll in a pile of decomposing sugar.  :P
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »

Stick it full of bolts, throw it in a pit and capture it. Worked for me.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:08:04 pm »

Capture it, pit it, wait till it transforms again, send in unarmed wrestlers in armor that leaves non-vital parts exposed. Ta-da! Soldiers who regrow lost nerves and even limbs every full moon. Just take care that the barracks area is sealed from the fort proper at that time.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »

Capture it, pit it, wait till it transforms again, send in unarmed wrestlers in armor that leaves non-vital parts exposed. Ta-da! Soldiers who regrow lost nerves and even limbs every full moon. Just take care that the barracks area is sealed from the fort proper at that time.

Yeah... This can be improved.
Fully armoured recruits.
I tested around a bit, and exposed areas get torn off quickly, and by that point the Dwarf cannot be saved. Full cloth armour increases the survivability of Dwarves exposed to lycans greatly, and when a lycan latches on, the shaking ignores armour - ensuring infection.