Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 79661 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart
« Reply #540 on: January 14, 2013, 02:30:13 pm »

Told you so.

The KS comments kind of disgust me. Those people were all baying for blood and calling Dullard a thief one day ago, heh.
As stated, most of us were simply concerned with the lack of updates.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:45:09 pm by forsaken1111 »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:48 pm »

Told you so.

The KS comments kind of disgust me. Those people were all baying for blood and calling Dullard a thief one day ago, heh.
As stated, most of us were simply concerned with the lack of upsated.
I was just wondering what happens if someone does do it.
Good that he back and it looking good wish him all the luck.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 14, 2013, 05:41:47 pm »

Glad everything had a happy ending but man, he has no one but himself to blame for what people thought.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #543 on: January 15, 2013, 01:55:53 pm »

good to see he is alive,

I think he has made some pretty huge mistakes when it comes to communication, but mistakes are there to be learned from.

so yeah, keep on trucking and don't make the same mistakes again.
Same. But I think it was reasonable that we reacted the way we did.

EDIT: And hey, Backer Rewards may still be fulfilled, so I don't need to do my "thing".

Hey, B12ers. Sorry I didn't leave a post here on B12 simultaneously with the one that went out on Kickstarter; I was so tired that I couldn't manage it. But this place is really where I have my roots in the online gaming community, so while I work today, I'll be composing a post for all of you as well.

The reaction by the community to this situation has been extremely reasonable, from my point of view; putting myself in their position, I would have been just as critical. Still, the responsible thing to do is to acknowledge my mistake and try to do better in the future. I wasn't trying to intentionally hide and deceive people, but cutting off contact with them had the same effect, so for all intents and purposes it was the same.

That said, I'm going to try and spend as little time discussing the whole affair as possible, and instead just focus on making progress and increasing transparency and accessibility to me. Better to move forward than to get stuck on something that happened as a result of a disparity between my initial perceptions and the reality of the matter.

One thing I do want to note is that while Alex Poysky did a fine and admirable job as a PR manager for the campaign, more PR is really not needed right now, from my point of view. I would rather discipline myself into maintaining a more active presence so that the community gets the message "straight from the horse's mouth", as it were, than to involve another layer of possible confusion. In fact I think this was my initial mistake with my approach to the campaign; it would have been better for me and for the Cult community if it had stuck to its more humble (but tighter-knit) roots from the outset and crossed the finish line as a 'just made it!'. That would have eliminated a lot of the confusion about the amount of time and effort it necessarily takes to develop a game as complicated and eclectic-by-nature as Cult is. In fact I would caution other indie developers with more ambition than experience who want to use the crowd-funding platform to avoid over-exposure. Luckily for me I still believe all of the rewards and promises made are still achievable, if I work hard and maintain a more healthy relationship between myself and the community.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 15, 2013, 02:20:06 pm »

One thing I do want to note is that while Alex Poysky did a fine and admirable job as a PR manager for the campaign, more PR is really not needed right now, from my point of view. I would rather discipline myself into maintaining a more active presence so that the community gets the message "straight from the horse's mouth", as it were, than to involve another layer of possible confusion. In fact I think this was my initial mistake with my approach to the campaign; it would have been better for me and for the Cult community if it had stuck to its more humble (but tighter-knit) roots from the outset and crossed the finish line as a 'just made it!'. That would have eliminated a lot of the confusion about the amount of time and effort it necessarily takes to develop a game as complicated and eclectic-by-nature as Cult is. In fact I would caution other indie developers with more ambition than experience who want to use the crowd-funding platform to avoid over-exposure. Luckily for me I still believe all of the rewards and promises made are still achievable, if I work hard and maintain a more healthy relationship between myself and the community.

I'd be really interested to hear you flesh these thoughts out a bit more. How did having more exposure make the problem worse other than just having a larger community to complain? The only other possible problem I can see is that more backers = more custom forum titles and in game names. That being said, with the missed date of the beta, the in game names part doesn't really add a whole lot of work.

I think more PR could have helped you manage expectations AND given you some much needed insight during the dark times.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 15, 2013, 02:23:30 pm »

I suppose overexposure can be quite stressful?

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 15, 2013, 02:35:27 pm »

I think what he means is that if he had just barely gotten the money he asked for, there wouldn't be so much stress for the stretch goals and such.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:38 pm »

Politicians and leaders have known for a long time that public pressure, and opinion, have just as much weight as any sort of physical blow could.  Whole governments are toppled by public opinion, so drawing bigger crowds and not able to save face and keep the masses happy end up doing the same thing; failing, usually in very interesting ways.  (The Roman Empire, anyone?)

All the same, its good to hear from you, Lord Dullard; and that you're still on task and mostly on schedual with Cult.  Keep up the good work. 8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #548 on: January 15, 2013, 04:39:50 pm »

I could see the same thing happening to me in that position. I'm glad to see this game's still rolling forward.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 20, 2013, 02:38:15 am »

Politicians and leaders have known for a long time that public pressure, and opinion, have just as much weight as any sort of physical blow could.  Whole governments are toppled by public opinion, so drawing bigger crowds and not able to save face and keep the masses happy end up doing the same thing; failing, usually in very interesting ways.  (The Roman Empire, anyone?)

All the same, its good to hear from you, Lord Dullard; and that you're still on task and mostly on schedual with Cult.  Keep up the good work. 8)
Politic is the only world where you can die more than one time. I heard that in BSG, Laura Roslin said to adama that "in politic you can die twice" or something like that.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 20, 2013, 05:16:11 pm »

Glad to hear you're still on track LD.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 20, 2013, 06:55:15 pm »

All's well that ends well I suppose. I am very glad things are taking a turn for the light!

We all wish you the best of luck friend!
Poysky Productions

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:23 pm »

All's well that ends well I suppose.

Sorta it hasn't ended yet.

May I remind you that it has been a week since his "I am not dead" statement.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 21, 2013, 06:09:04 am »

I also haven't seen any post on his own forum,

He's just going on in his own way I guess, while I (and alot of other people) would love to see more of that promised transperancy happening.
I guess we'll just have to wait till there's a large update every so often

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 21, 2013, 06:34:39 am »

The development still seems troubled to me. What I took away from his update was that he spent a month and a half learning photoshop, and still doesn't have the knack for it. A programmer devoted large amounts of development time trying to put on an entirely different hat which won't ever fit him well.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44