Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 79763 times)

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart REACHED IN RECORD TIME!!!
« Reply #405 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:36 pm »

Quote from: Lord Dullard link=topic=110893.msg3544323#msg3544323
But yeah, things are, generally, slow at the moment. Trefall just announced to me that he's finishing his thesis today, which means we can officially begin work on the nice meaty stuff, and I'll soon be rewriting the game engine, which will probably bring about a lot of frustration (on my part) and nifty new screenshots (for you).  :)

You should probably consider posting an update occasionally on the kickstarter and/or the blog, just to let people know progress continues.  For people that don't know you post here/know you personally, it looks like you disappeared as soon as the kickstarter ended.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:18:36 pm by tootboot »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:30 pm »

Awww no kickstarter rewards anymore?

Though this does make things a bit easier... though not really because of Paypal.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:43 pm »

Reviving the topic for the sake of possible knews.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 19, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »

The last news from LD was on Sept 7th
"'The end of the year' was the original goal for an alpha release (or at least a newer pre-alpha). Of course I do hope to release more demos and pre-alphas, but I've been held up quite a bit over the past few months, mostly because I've been tip-toeing around making any major additions before I have to do a rewrite. At this point, considering how long it's taking, I'm on the verge of saying 'to heck with it' and just going forward anyway, though.

What will be dealt with in October will be the extraneous rewards (i.e., posters, existing soundtrack download, et cetera)."
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:42 pm »

No Lord Dullard... don't fall to the dark side!

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2013, 05:08:56 am »

People in the kickstarter comments are verrrry angry right now.  It doesn't look like he's delivered anything to anybody.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 12, 2013, 05:18:41 am »

People in the kickstarter comments are verrrry angry right now.  It doesn't look like he's delivered anything to anybody.

Plus his forum is down.

It sounds like he wasn't mentally prepared for this kind of project to be honest. His constant hiding from the audiance is what is getting people riled.

As well usually his team would chime in to defend him but even they arn't doing that anymore.

I think I may have dodged a bullet.

I mean YEAH he could just be keeping everything ready for a surprise but even a "I am working on it" message would suffice. Even I know how set back videogames can get simply by finding out exactly how bad a programming undertaking something is going to be. I could imagine him working on it for a month and going "wow, this might take six months before I have anything workable." I am rather sensible. Yet when the line of communication completely breaks down, there is an issue.

Heck I am even fine with the worst case scenario where he admits that the project was over his head and he cannot complete it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:25:23 am by Neonivek »

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 12, 2013, 05:32:24 am »

It sounds like he wasn't mentally prepared for this kind of project to be honest. His constant hiding from the audiance is what is getting people riled.

Kinda late to realize you're in over your head after taking $34k.

My guess, based on the one update, is that his friend was the actual programmer, and doesn't have time anymore now that he has a job.  Assuming a good portion of the money has already been spent that doesn't really leave you with any options other than to hide from the internet and hope you don't end up in court.  Could be wrong though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:12 am »

Kinda late to realize you're in over your head after taking $34k.

My guess, based on the one update, is that his friend was the actual programmer, and doesn't have time anymore now that he has a job.  Assuming a good portion of the money has already been spent that doesn't really leave you with any options other than to hide from the internet and hope you don't end up in court.  Could be wrong though.

Well no he is himself the programmer

and no he doesn't have anything to fear from the courts. It is very easy to take and run with the money you get off of Kickstarter. It is why I berrate people who forget what kickstarter is (It isn't a preorder service nor is it a store)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart
« Reply #414 on: January 12, 2013, 09:08:04 am »

He disappeared from the internet around November 13th. That was the last any of us have really heard from him, but don't be too hard on him.

You win some, you lose some.

BTW, from Kickstarter:
Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

They must acknowledge the following: https://ksr-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/creator-responsibility.png

From a legal standpoint, LD could be liable due to the language in his Kickstarter. Each of the reward tiers uses the language "You will receive" which equates to the exchange of goods and services. This makes it subject to UCC(universal commercial code) and therefore he is open to civil lawsuits but not criminal, since he has tried to complete the project.

That being said, you would have to be a real Jerk to pursue legal action against someone who simply got in over his head. That is coming from someone who backed him for $500.

I hope he is able to get something out or open source what he has to avoid any further damage to his good name. We miss you Lord Dullard!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:21:29 am by hemmingjay »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:58 am »

I'd be a lot more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt if he'd opt for honesty instead of silence.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 12, 2013, 09:32:38 am »

That is a fair statement. I have reached out to a few involved parties but have not heard back yet.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 12, 2013, 10:08:09 am »

The last update on the Developement Blog was 11/13.  Not too long ago; especially given the utter silence that some devs provide.  Honestly, I'd rather wait and see; but then again, I never got the chance to opt in for Cult's kickstarter. 
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 12, 2013, 11:23:45 am »

Well i can sit and wait really, i still have hope that he can at least pull through and if it does tank someone owes me alot of beers :P

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:05 am »

So does he get to keep the money if he jump ship?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 44