Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 79776 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart REACHED IN RECORD TIME!!!
« Reply #390 on: July 06, 2012, 12:11:05 pm »

As well Forsaken is right about there being a lot of games that fall into that category (though I am assuming)

I have a bit of trouble thinking of them though. I know there are a lot of games that didn't reach their full potential (Infamosly Fable, a game I love) but I am having trouble thinking of any that you either paid for in advance or donated to.

Mostly because doing games this way is relatively recent. Though I guess if we count pre-orders... though I don't think that is relevant.

Also yes, I wasn't harping on Terraria and it wasn't a comment on its quality (Its an ok game in my mind). Me and terraria have a like/hate relationship but it wasn't why I gave it as an example.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:13:21 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 06, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »

Terraria is probably the best example in the category, being both popular and recent.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 06, 2012, 12:54:44 pm »

All of a sudden, I'm reminded of the cardinal rule I live by. Never listen to what a developer has to say about what they want for their dreams are built on pies in the sky. Seriously, I played Fable, then had no idea what people found so wrong about it, then found out that there was this guy that was talking about it forever and was the developer.

Regardless, for what Cult is, it seems pretty feasible that it'll reach it's goals, slowly but surely. It's had a long dev time as is, and LD is taking more time to work on it through the kickstarter, and so on. It already has monsters and building in place, and so the general shape for all the greatness is in place, and possibly the most boring part of the coding, I'd imagine.Once combat gets in, there's going to be something to do, even if it's armok style rampaging everywhere for no reason, then civs proper come in, and hopefully, magic will follow. At least from the sounds of it, messing with the magic system might be fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 06, 2012, 10:33:45 pm »

For me this is sort of exactly the game I want to start to be made.

Even if Cult only lives up to half the development goals it will be my money well spent (If I can ever get around to amassing enough money to do it... DANG IT!). In fact unlike you Chaoticag I don't believe Cult will achieve all its development goals.

Some people are off put my the sheer amount of leaps I will make when assessing games that arn't out yet or the weird rules I come up with.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 19, 2012, 07:25:49 pm »

So, did this guy take the money and run?  Doesn't look like the guy has so much as tweeted since the kickstarter ended.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 19, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »

I severely doubt it. One does not spend several years working on a game then abandon it.

Besides, LI has been active on these forums for a long time.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 19, 2012, 08:01:20 pm »

Its only natural for people to expect a project that has been so well funded (considering its initial goal) to have more dev updates though. To be fair I'm also curious about the lack of updates.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 19, 2012, 08:03:58 pm »

True, just commenting that I seriously doubt he's bailed.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 19, 2012, 08:10:22 pm »

Don't think he's bailed either, he's probably only going through a phase of development that consists of fixing bugs and increasing overall performance to add more features, like toady usualy does.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 19, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »

Actually it is because he got bogged down in side projects and still has a lot of boring programming to do. The ones that are listed on his kickstarter such as the book.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #400 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:23 pm »

maybe you guys should check the actual development thread in Creative Projects forum, Lord Dullard posted there on the 12th this month.
I got nothing

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2012, 11:42:35 pm »

Part of the problem is, this thread and its location is more 'mainstream' then the Creative Projects forum...  heh... I rarely check that area myself.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sentientdeth

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Soul Immortal
    • View Profile
    • Sentientdeth's Composition Blog
« Reply #402 on: August 20, 2012, 01:17:12 pm »

Saw him on Skype 2 days ago.  He's around, just working on several things I don't think I should reveal in his absence.  Project is going strong, just not much that can really be shown yet.  You won't be disappointed, I assure you.
Dirgeplayer of the Twelve Bays
-The Bard's Guild-

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2012, 02:57:46 pm »

I know that this probably isn't a good place to ask for something, but I've never used paypal and I would wish to donate to the project. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions:

1) Is donating through here still viable?
2) Is it necessary to set up a paypal account?
3) Are there any fees with setting up a paypal account? I've clicked for that information in their site and got 404.
4) Do I need to somehow exchange currency or will my bank do it for me?
5) If I donate $15+, will I get the beta/full version for free?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #404 on: August 21, 2012, 12:10:06 pm »

I know that this probably isn't a good place to ask for something, but I've never used paypal and I would wish to donate to the project. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions:

1) Is donating through here still viable?
2) Is it necessary to set up a paypal account?
3) Are there any fees with setting up a paypal account? I've clicked for that information in their site and got 404.
4) Do I need to somehow exchange currency or will my bank do it for me?
5) If I donate $15+, will I get the beta/full version for free?

You can still donate through there, yes. The Kickstarter isn't running anymore, so I'm not sending out any of the rewards (except a pre-order of the game itself at a discounted price). As for PayPal, I don't think that there are any particular fees just for setting it up (I don't remember there being any when I did so). I would assume currency conversion is automatic, that's how it normally works with most online transactions.

Anyway, this has been a painfully slow period. It became clear after consulting with Trefall that I was going to end up scrapping the current GUI/renderer entirely, so I've stopped adding things on to the interactive parts of the game because it would more or less be pointless. In order to keep busy, I've been working on the content end of things. In practical terms that means I've been working on putting together an entirely new system for creature generation which will allow players to modify the way they're designed from the ground up. In fact, they could theoretically throw the whole system out and put together a whole new way of creature generation just through modifying text files, if they were ambitious enough. It's likely I will extend this functionality to civilizations and other parts of the game, as well.

But yeah, things are, generally, slow at the moment. Trefall just announced to me that he's finishing his thesis today, which means we can officially begin work on the nice meaty stuff, and I'll soon be rewriting the game engine, which will probably bring about a lot of frustration (on my part) and nifty new screenshots (for you).  :)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44