Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Rollercoaster Tycoon  (Read 15855 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rollercoaster Tycoon
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2012, 07:16:47 pm »

The wooden coaster sound? Yeah, that's something I heard a lot, but I think we can all agree that the carousel music is basically the defining 'sound' since most people will be hearing that through the entire playthrough...

2 is basically 1 with better features, yes, and people have remade all the RCT1 scenarios for RCT2. My biggest gripe with it is how you can't set it to park entry fee or free entry with paying for rides, most of the time. I always do pay per ride, since it's easier to judge how much a ride costs than it is to judge how much your park costs. 2's expansions also weren't as good compared to 1's expansions. 2's expansions focus mainly on theming while 1's focused more on new rides and stuff. I'm fairly sure 2 includes all of 1's rides by default, though.

As for 3, it's... well, it's kinda different. The expansions focus a lot on water-type rides and animal stuff. If you put a pool in your park everybody is going to use the pool for some reason, you may find people using your other rides less *shrug*. The inclusion of 3d is both good and bad, you can more easily determine where things are in a 3d environment, but the pixel art of 1 and 2 just looks pretty.

I haven't really played 3 too much but it seemed pretty decent, may have to try it again someday. Oh, 3 has those giant slides you ride on a carpet thing, which is my favorite thing in parks... cause, you know, I don't like riding rollercoasters. If I were in an RCT game I'd be one of those people labeled 'tame' or whatever it is. RCT 3 just has more 'large' rides/attractions in general. 1 and 2 most of them were 2x2 or 3x3 things that were there to make a little extra money while people were in between riding coasters, but they really went overboard with the thrill rides in 3.

EDIT: Oh, RCT 2 and 3 have scenario editors, so you can make your own parks without worrying aboot any objectives if that's the kind of thing you want.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2012, 07:31:31 pm »

I've heard that RC2 allows death of customers, and RC3 does not.  That may define everything.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2012, 08:06:58 pm »

It may be just nostalgia speaking, but I think I prefer RCT1 (and by extension, RCT2) to RCT3. I dunno what it was, but it didn't really stick too well with me. Damned if RCT3 isn't gorgeous with its scenery and stuff, though.
Also often called Boowells.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2012, 08:26:17 pm »

RCT 3 is goddamn fugly, but it has more features than you can shake a stick at.

Also this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2012, 08:51:00 pm »

Astounding crashes only sell a game so far.
Nevermind, I remembered Kerbal Space Program.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 11:21:56 pm »

Double post because it's significant:
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/atari_weekend_promo/

60% off any of the Rollercoaster Tycoon games, this weekend.
$2.39, $3.99, and $7.99 for 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

I've bought more expensive coffee (with regret later), it's time to hit up some RC2.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2012, 12:52:55 am »

Incidentally that's why this topic was bumpoed =)

Also... wow, how come I never thought of doing that? The running a coaster into a busy pathway, that is. Supposedly there's a first aid station you can build but I've never seen a use for them.

Also, it seems the #1 reason people die in RCT 1 and 2 is station brakes failure... it's not a huge part of the game, especially if you design the coasters 'safely'. The appeal of the game is making coasters of course =p

Wouldn't mind a 4th one eventually coming out...

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2012, 01:40:42 am »

... and people have remade all the RCT1 scenarios for RCT2.
Where? Where can I find these? Tell me! Tell me!

Ahem. Sorry, got a little bit carried away there.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2012, 02:16:58 am »

Where? Where can I find these?
I believe I posted them earlier in the topic, but I'm sure google searching will find you the same results. This is what I found. I haven't tried them myself so I don't know how accurate or functional they are.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2012, 12:13:58 pm »

Is there any way to play without a win condition?  I just want to sandbox it.  I made a custom scenario with "pay off your debt" that I just never paid.

Also, how do you build pathways and stuff above the ground?  I've seen multi-tiered parks before, but the paths don't entirely cooperate.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2012, 12:42:55 pm »

If you hold shift while placing something it will be raised off the ground. I don't know if it works for paths because I've never tried it, just you can just build ramps up to the entrances and exits of your stuff. This isn't possible in RCT1, unfortunately, you have to do weird stuff to make something like this. The isometric view makes it really confusing as well, which is one reason RCT3 probably does it better.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2012, 01:52:28 pm »

Is there any way to play without a win condition?  I just want to sandbox it.
It's been too long since I've played the first two, but doesn't it let you keep playing after you satisfy the wincon?
RCT3 has a sandbox mode.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2012, 01:54:12 pm »

Incidentally that's why this topic was bumpoed =)

Also... wow, how come I never thought of doing that? The running a coaster into a busy pathway, that is. Supposedly there's a first aid station you can build but I've never seen a use for them.

Also, it seems the #1 reason people die in RCT 1 and 2 is station brakes failure... it's not a huge part of the game, especially if you design the coasters 'safely'. The appeal of the game is making coasters of course =p

Wouldn't mind a 4th one eventually coming out...
I dunno, in RCT1 my carousel went out of control, reaching 88mph ridiculous speeds until my mechanic fixed it. It was hilarious, because it started shaking like mad, and the music sped up with the spinny bit.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2012, 03:31:04 pm »

Is there any way to play without a win condition?  I just want to sandbox it.
It's been too long since I've played the first two, but doesn't it let you keep playing after you satisfy the wincon?
RCT3 has a sandbox mode.

Yes, but you have neither infinite space nor infinite money. I seem to recall custom scenarios that gave you max space and near infinite money, though. Or, wait, once you beat the game, wasn't there like some sort of mega map or something?
Also often called Boowells.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2012, 03:34:41 pm »

Actually, in RCT3 you DO have infinite money in sandbox mode. dunno about the space, though, I think you can adjust the size of the play area.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9