Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Rollercoaster Tycoon  (Read 15850 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rollercoaster Tycoon
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »

I dunno, I thought all three were pretty good, and certainly worth playing.
RCT1 is great, RCT2 is essentially the same game (therefore good), just with more features. I think RCT2 did actually add a few very useful things that the original was lacking.

RCT3 has the aforementioned coaster cam. That alone is a nearly endless source of entertainment. And it works on nearly every ride, not just coasters. Yes, you can ride the Enterprise. Yes, you will get sick.
The move to 3d came with some changes, so it doesn't feel quite like the originals, but in its own right it's a good game.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 03:50:17 pm »

1 is a classic and has a crap-ton of levels you can play through and unlock (especially if you have all expansions). 2, as far as I've seen is more features overall and some good interface upgrades 1 was lacking, but seems to not have as much of an unlock your progress like 1 had; and 3 did lose some of it's charm, but did make up for it with the coaster cam. Plus, 3 allows for the water park expansion pack, so if you feel like making a deadly water park, have fun. I once made a water slide that rivals the Dur Stuka in drop (200+ feet), and basically catapulted people from one end of the park to another.

Now coaster cam that, and have fun.

EDIT:
Oh right, and this is worthy of mentioning again:
Who wouldn't want to visit this park? Really.

EDIT:
Turns out this site still keeps at least RCT2 relevantly up to date. Some really cool stuff here.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:57:27 pm by Itnetlolor »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 04:05:55 pm »

wow I got an inspiration for my next megaproject

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »

(Didn't read much of the topic, sorry)

I like the features RCT 2 has, such as being able to build in the air when you hold shift and all the new coasters (not including the ones that are just the same as others but with a different car)

RCT 2 however seems to be more focused on making a theme park, while RCT 1 is more focused on... well... rollercoaster stuff? It's kinda hard to describe. I just think the scenarios in RCT 1 were better than in 2, but I like 2's features more. Plus 2 has a scenario creator so you could probably theoretically just re-make all the scenarios from 1.

In fact... it seems like I'm going to have to go grab RCT 2 off of GoG...

Can't really speak much for RCT 3 though. Seems like you have a lot more room to goof around though, especially with the water/pool stuff. My brother made a water slide that launches people 50 feet into the air at high speed, but since they end up landing in a pool it's not considered crashing or harmful.

Speaking of that, people die in RCT 1 and 2, but in 3 they simply get injured and need to go to a medical station.

People in RCT3 will also be in groups rather than individuals, and you can create your own groups and watch them do stuff in your park, so that's pretty cool.

EDIT: I seem to remember, at least in the expansions, RCT 3 having lots of weird or insane kinds of rollercoasters. Coasters that split into two cars that go around their own tracks and then converge into one again, coasters that stop and go up an elevator, then are tilted upwards to go down the other end... that kinda stuff.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:29:12 pm by OzyTheSage »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »

I still love #1, although I haven't played much of 2 or 3.  The problem is, I hate playing the maps each in turn, and when I cheat I just want to play with all of them and do nothing.

I'd probably be playing it right now if I knew where my discs were.  Damn nostalgia.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 07:14:49 pm »

Anyone know if RCT2 can run scenarios from RCT1?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 07:22:36 pm »

Anyone know if RCT2 can run scenarios from RCT1?
Plus 2 has a scenario creator so you could probably theoretically just re-make all the scenarios from 1.

In fact... it seems like I'm going to have to go grab RCT 2 off of GoG...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »

I think I once (many years ago) found that the RC2 editor did not allow some rule combinations that were present in some of RC1's scenarios. I think one of them was allowing for both an entry price at the same time as charging for rides.
Eh?
Eh!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:26 pm »

Each of those images shows the victory conditions for each scenario I think. I would -hope- that all of them are pprofits from ride tickets and not entry to park, because entry to park is.... no...

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 09:28:25 pm »

EDIT: I seem to remember, at least in the expansions, RCT 3 having lots of weird or insane kinds of rollercoasters. Coasters that split into two cars that go around their own tracks and then converge into one again, coasters that stop and go up an elevator, then are tilted upwards to go down the other end... that kinda stuff.

I think RCT2 had some of the crazy ones too, but don't quote me on that.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 06:50:24 am »

People dislike RCT3 just because you can't kill people? Really?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 08:23:14 am »

Death is srs bzns.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:38 am »

People dislike RCT3 just because you can't kill people? Really?

I like consequences for freak accidents. I play dwarf fortress, when I see a hurdling death machine go flying into the ground at 60 mph and explode, and everyone just bounces like a bunch of sponges. I'm not happy.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:55:33 am by Vherid »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 09:57:24 am »

I played RCT3 quite a bit, and the previous ones hardly at all, and I rather like it.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 10:51:57 am »

By the way, do you guys know about "MR BONES WILD RIDE"?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9