Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Runestone Defense (free browser tower defense game)  (Read 5526 times)

MagiGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MagiGames
Re: Runestone Defense (free browser tower defense game)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 08:28:13 pm »

Having undead as attackers reminds me of Defender's Quest. Still nifty though.

They were the best (by far) free top-down sprites I could find.  When I found those, they were so much better than anything else I'd found, I just had to use them and do a fantasy based game.  I was aiming for sci-fi when I started out.
http://MagiGames.org  - game(s) I wrote.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »

Seriyu: Chrome does update automatically.  It sounds like what I get on my older Linux box.  It just can't keep up, it runs at 5 frames per second or close, so it can't register the mouse clicks.  Older computers, even with new software, just suck at running HTML5 games.

HTML5 / Javascript is still a pretty new technology, and not as well supported as I was led to believe when I started writing this game.  That said, it runs great on my newer Linux box, my 2009 MacBook Pro and my 2010 Windows 7 box, which has a medium CPU and a good graphics card.  It runs like crap on my iPhone 4s.

Yeah, the computer is fairly new. It can run stuff like torchlight and sanctum and such, not quite skyrim but pretty close. Thanks for getting back to me also!

MagiGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MagiGames
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 09:33:12 pm »

Well, that sucks.  Chrome's canvas element (which the game runs in) should be using your graphics card to render the game.  If you have the time and inclination, I'd really appreciate it if you would give it a try in IE9 and Firefox if you have it installed, and let me know how it works.

If not, no worries. 

Thanks!

Seriyu: Chrome does update automatically.  It sounds like what I get on my older Linux box.  It just can't keep up, it runs at 5 frames per second or close, so it can't register the mouse clicks.  Older computers, even with new software, just suck at running HTML5 games.

HTML5 / Javascript is still a pretty new technology, and not as well supported as I was led to believe when I started writing this game.  That said, it runs great on my newer Linux box, my 2009 MacBook Pro and my 2010 Windows 7 box, which has a medium CPU and a good graphics card.  It runs like crap on my iPhone 4s.

Yeah, the computer is fairly new. It can run stuff like torchlight and sanctum and such, not quite skyrim but pretty close. Thanks for getting back to me also!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:20 pm »

Just gave it a shot on IE9 (I think it's nine, got this computer a few months ago, so I'd imagine it's up to date, it has tabs and such, so I know it's not IE6 or something ridiculously out of date), and it seems to work fine. Didn't try firefox yet, don't have it installed. I might give it a shot on that later.

MagiGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MagiGames
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 09:55:50 pm »

Thank you!

I wonder what's up with your Chrome?  Usually Chrome runs HTML5 games very well.  I wonder if it's not automatically updating?

IE8 and previous don't support HTML5 games very well, if at all, so you've got IE9.

Thanks again, that was really cool of you to do that for me.

Just gave it a shot on IE9 (I think it's nine, got this computer a few months ago, so I'd imagine it's up to date, it has tabs and such, so I know it's not IE6 or something ridiculously out of date), and it seems to work fine. Didn't try firefox yet, don't have it installed. I might give it a shot on that later.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

Well I'm back at my actual computer, and trying to play it in FF4 gives me a whitebox.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MagiGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MagiGames
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 10:22:08 pm »

I do appreciate the input.  But since Firefox is on version 12 now, I'm not going to worry about version 4.   :D

Seriously, this HTML5 stuff kinda sucks for testing.  I test in the latest Chrome, Safari and Firefox on Mac, Chrome, Firefox and IE on Windows, and Chrome and Firefox on Linux.  It gets to be a drag to roll out new code, and that's just using the latest browser versions only.  It's a good thing I'm a huge nerd and already have all those computers.

I think I might go to Flash for the next game.   :o

Thanks again.

Well I'm back at my actual computer, and trying to play it in FF4 gives me a whitebox.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 10:28:07 pm »

Didn't really expect you to, but honestly, the version number is chrome-based nonsense as far as I'd say, even the IE team recognized it when there was the picture of them only sending a cupcake. 12 is a silly number to be at when its probably more like 4.5, but with more fixed bugs and more other bugs as far as my friends have said. All of the addons I use still work with none of the bugs I get complained to about (mostly title-text and it being a tad slower than they thought), so if I miss a few things at my house, I'm not too concerned. Was fun at my friend's house, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 [2]