Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 313169 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #2130 on: September 07, 2016, 04:12:24 pm »

Heyo Neonivek and Putnam. Not to wade headfirst into a poopstorm, but here's two cents. (Note: This post is Steven Universe Spoilers of the worst kind.)

That all aside, I'm glad the show doesn't let a "Big Bad Evil Guy" plot completely take over the heart and soul of the series. SU is at it's best when it's doing character development, and exploring the joys, difficulties, and growth of it's various characters, and the relationships between them. This includes antagonists like Jasper, and explores her character and history even when she's not in the frame.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot "Alone at Sea". Added it to the list.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:31:35 pm by Solifuge »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 07, 2016, 04:21:43 pm »

I guess it is difficult to understand my position but I'll put it as plainly as possible:

I think Steven Universe should have hinted or implied that the Crystal Gems were looking for Jasper, even if it is as something as small as a throw away line or a visual easter egg.

That is it...

------

It doesn't matter how many episodes focus on Jasper or hint at Jasper. It is essential.

It is why Mermaid Melody Season 2 doesn't get a pass just because the Main Villain is in every episode.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:26:58 pm by Neonivek »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 07, 2016, 04:48:10 pm »

Well, Garnet and Amethyst did do exactly that, immediately after they discovered Jasper was still alive in "Alone at Sea", while Pearl, Connie, and Steven went north to hunt Gem Monsters (and inadvertently ran into Jasper). And at that point all the characters continued to look for her until this latest Jasper arc was resolved in "Earthlings", didn't they? I don't need to defend the show, and I know that everyone's got preferences when it comes to storytelling, and maybe I don't understand precisely what you mean... but doesn't that fit the bill?

If you're mad they took so long to bring Jasper back after she fell out of the plot, and into a magma-filled chasm split down to the core of the Earth, I get you. Consider this, though. From the characters perspective Jasper was destroyed, trapped underground, or otherwise gone. From the writers perspective, they want to keep the plot fresh, and not linger on one conflict (Malachite/Jasper) or Jasper's story overlong, and neglect all the other plots going on. Peridot still needed to wrap up her redemption arc, Lapis needed to deal with the emotional aftermath of their fusion, Steven needed to figure out why Jasper (and Homeworld) hated his Mom, etc.

Anyway, I was looking forward to a Jasper redemption arc too. The Crystal Gem team needs a gigantic orange emotionally-inept butch space rock who secretly just wants friends, IMO. But we may not see that for a while, when/if Steven figures out how to cure Corrupted Gems or something... and I have a feeling that's a long-term plot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 07, 2016, 04:50:46 pm »

Running into Jasper doesn't count.

And at that point all the characters continued to look for her
]

That is the thing... they absolutely didn't do that. Your assuming they did based on how it makes sense that they would.

If you're mad they took so long to bring Jasper back after she fell out of the plot, and into a magma-filled chasm split down to the core of the Earth, I get you. Consider this, though. From the characters perspective Jasper was destroyed, trapped underground, or otherwise gone.

A) No I am not
B) No they did NOT think she was dead...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:53:26 pm by Neonivek »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: September 07, 2016, 04:59:32 pm »

Okay, this is gettin' silly friendo.

In addition to the episode-by-episode rundown I did 4 posts ago, I guess could cite the episodes, minutes, and seconds that all those things happened, but I kinda gotta do other stuff. :I

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 07, 2016, 05:00:45 pm »

Okay, this is gettin' silly friendo.

In addition to the episode-by-episode rundown I did 4 posts ago, I guess could cite the episodes, minutes, and seconds that all those things happened, but I kinda gotta do other stuff. :I

I mean I COULD use your own episode by episode rundown... >_<

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 07, 2016, 05:01:04 pm »

That is the thing... they absolutely didn't do that. Your assuming they did based on how it makes sense that they would.

Crack the Whip starts with Garnet explicitly telling Connie that her and Pearl are leaving to track down Jasper, as was mentioned earlier.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: September 07, 2016, 05:01:50 pm »

Crack the Whip starts with Garnet explicitly telling Connie that her and Pearl are leaving to track down Jasper, as was mentioned earlier.

THANK GOODNESS! Sure took waaaaaaaaaay too long.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 07, 2016, 05:02:19 pm »

here's the exact mention.

You may even notice that Pearl explicitly says that they should be tracking her down and gives reasoning for it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: September 07, 2016, 05:03:33 pm »

here's the exact mention.

Thank goodness.

Though goodness that is the only time. Still bad but isn't abhorrent.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: September 07, 2016, 05:04:29 pm »

You seriously expect the main-character-in-training to be actively seeking out an incredibly strong villain who is as strong as a fusion by herself?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: September 07, 2016, 05:07:09 pm »

You seriously expect the main-character-in-training to be actively seeking out an incredibly strong villain who is as strong as a fusion by herself?

I REALLY REALLY don't think you guys understand me. xD

It is when someone argue something that only tangentially relates to what I said...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: September 07, 2016, 05:09:30 pm »

so from the some of the leaked images of "First one out of Beach City," it looks like we're getting a 'bad pearl' episode, at least as far as character design goes

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: September 07, 2016, 05:10:17 pm »

I REALLY REALLY don't think you guys understand me. xD

It is when someone argue something that only tangentially relates to what I said...
Then you seriously expect the topic to be brought up explicitly in every single one of the 11-minute episodes during the arc? I have no idea what you're trying to say...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: September 07, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »

Methinks it's time for us to step away from the personal head-butting sessions, find our inner Chill Composure, and get back to talkin' about cartoons.

Cartoons are neat.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 200