Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 313072 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #1995 on: August 27, 2015, 03:13:32 am »

I'll conceit that Rose did/does. Though the others do not. Pearl has been on the planet for at least 4k years. Garnet constitute gems may have been there just as long as well. And we see in when Steve takes Garnet to the arcade, she wrecking all the machines, clearly showing she absolutely lost. And Pearl outright says she doesn't understand human relationship, and was quite the fan of the fence.

They had a fence. They had a barrier between themselves and what they were protecting.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:19:21 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: August 27, 2015, 03:25:11 am »

Steven Universe
So the Crystal Gems aren't fighting to protect earth because human life is special or precious. They're defending the Earth on a more general ethical grounds. That the Gems don't have the right to kill sapient life to further their own kind. Though it is kinda curious that the Gems take almost no interest in the life they're protecting. They're very ignorant about Humans.

The Gems are protecting all of earth which includes human beings, which they do consider special.

They just think of them as backwards and SUPER short lived and so they don't like to associate with them.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:22 am »

They'll still be here when their human friends are 6ft under.  It is a pretty good idea to not get too attached... 
Though, I guess they could think of humans as pets that can take care of their own needs and can do their own things...  Instead of as equals.  It might be easier in the end if you plan on associating with them over the many centuries.
(I don't watch this show.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: August 27, 2015, 04:20:31 pm »

The show is pretty good. Seems to have a pretty well thought out world building, and it has a steadily progressing story arch. Not sure what'll do in its forth season if its keeping this pace.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: August 27, 2015, 10:16:39 pm »

-beep-

Spoiler: -boop- (click to show/hide)

Text wall RE: Steven Universe. Not really sorry. You can read or just scroll your mousewheel past. Take your destiny into your own hands!

I'm a bit late to the discussion on Steven Universe's merits, but some stuff to add. Note, for what it's worth, it's probably one of my favorite shows on TV right now, animation or not. It represents a huge experiment, and a major departure from most everything being produced right now. The episodes are Adventure Time short, and being written on a monthly basis. Each of the core team-members are basically creative polymaths; they write songs, storyboard, write, design characters, etc., and all share the load of creating the show. It's not being rushed through to produce regular seasons either; they recently decided to skip a month since they're all on vacation, and didn't want to rush things and cost the show in quality. Where else do you see that decision being made, rather than churning out third-rate filler episodes to "maintain production"?

Story-wise, since when do you see a Male Lead, in what is essentially a Magical Girl Anime? And when do you see a hero, male or no, whose bravery isn't aimed at fighting and killing Big Evil Things, but at helping to heal damage both physical and emotional, and end cycles of violence or self-destruction? The sheer volume of genuinely sympathetic characters (antagonists or protagonists), is staggering. The schlubby burnout/absentee Dad is a hero too, but just has some practical things he's not very good at. The kind of slimy politician really does have the town's well-being at heart, even if he's self-aggrandizing and in love with his position of power. And so on. The spirit is very close to Hayao Miyazaki in that sense; the same tone from early works like Shuna no Tabi, Nausicaa, or Princess Mononoke, but somehow with even more sympathetic characters and empathy-as-heroism.

And yeah, Steven's most heroic trait is definitely his Empathy; his ability to see the perspective and worth of others (even monsters both literal and metaphorical), help them work together toward a goal they couldn't achieve individually, and to protect them all however he can. Unlike everyone else, his signature "weapon" is a shield, which is some pretty obvious symbolism. Also, in another rare move, the show recognizes that he's still literally a child, with all the physical strength and worldly experience that implies. He's got some supernatural powers to help, but he gets tuckered out pretty quickly when using them, compared with most of the people he's standing alongside or against. Also, though he's got a lot to learn, he's shown a lot of growth from episode to episode, another type of character development that's pretty uncommon in western cartoons.

He and the show recognize his limits as a child, and a (mostly) human being in a fantasy world dealing with #FantasyWorldProblems, yet he is a hero who does everything within his power to make things better. While his trio of superpowered Space-Moms are off fighting to defend against what might be another alien invasion, he organizes an evacuation of the town to keep people safe. When infighting and pettiness is breaking the group apart, he kicks off the tough discussions that start them on the process of finding a resolution, and healing. When someone is stealing the ocean to make a space elevator, he does his best to talk her down, and finds a solution that works for her (restores her the ability to fly to space) and for the people of Earth (get their ocean back). And the same goes for most all of the other characters and challenges he encounters.

As books, films, and a lot of non-western animation have been demonstrating for decades, it's entirely possible for media to be entertaining, while also giving the audience something of value to take away from it. Ignoring all the great music, animation, storytelling, and other reasons I love the show for a second; with the exception of some protective Gem powers Steven is pretty much an average kid, with only his compassion, voice, and courage as his weapons. I'm really glad that the audience is getting such an empowering and relatable icon when it comes to being an everyday hero, and making a positive difference in the world, whether they're a child or not.

TL;DR: I really appreciate how Steven Universe gives us a bit of a lens into our own world and lives, and empowers regular people to fight the good fight, see both sides in a conflict, stand for what's really important, find the courage to tackle big problems head-on, and if we feel powerless against them individually to help find the people who will stand with us and fight it together. As much as I love dadaist or "adult" humor in cartoons, it's about damned time animation in the US started taking on some of the other kinds of mature themes that are out there. Funny that it's alleged Kid's Shows like Steven Universe being the first pioneers to do that.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: August 31, 2015, 06:38:22 pm »

Is Aqua Teen Hunger Force really canceled this time?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: August 31, 2015, 07:42:55 pm »

hahahahahaha

i really doubt it

the VERY LAST EPISODE showed last week, then yesterday they showed another one that ended with a non-joke about how the series isn't ending with a joke, and

it's probably going to take a break for a few months then start again

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: August 31, 2015, 09:36:58 pm »

I miss Dave the Barbarian.

Specially Twinkle the Marvel Horse rantings.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: September 01, 2015, 10:22:06 am »

I miss Dave the Barbarian.

Specially Twinkle the Marvel Horse rantings.

Yeah, that was a great show.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: September 02, 2015, 11:29:28 pm »

Getting used to the 10 minute show format. Though after watching some other shows I can say that it really depends on the cartoon.

Some shows just work as 10 minute episodes and some are great as 30 minute. Though I never have the patience for 1 hour episode cartoons unfortunately.

I am kind of happy actually. It tells me that 10 minute shows aren't inherently better just because the current breed of them are particularly good (Steven universe has more stuff going on in 10 minutes that often happens in 10 episodes of other shows).

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: November 15, 2015, 01:55:32 pm »

I'm WAY late for Steven Universe discussion, but I just caught up on that show. And that's probably the best thing that I saw in years, really.
So, yeah. I just had to state that this show is good publicly somewhere, but yelling it out in the middle of the street in Moscow seemed like a really bad idea. I feel better, carry on now.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 02, 2015, 12:18:43 pm »

TOONAMI JUST ANNOUNCED A NEW SEASON OF SAMURAI JACK IS COMING 2016
It's FEF, not FEOF

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: December 02, 2015, 12:20:20 pm »

TOONAMI JUST ANNOUNCED A NEW SEASON OF SAMURAI JACK IS COMING 2016

OOOOOH! THAT'S GREAT!
Also, link please.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 200