Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 313086 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #1980 on: August 02, 2015, 02:54:11 pm »

apparently there's a Ben 10 reboot in the works

With each iteration they go further and further from what I actually liked about the first one. Either diving too far into seriousness, too far into comedy, or they forget to actually give the alien forms a point other then "strong!"

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: August 02, 2015, 10:49:01 pm »

Favorite animated shows on the air right now, in no particular order:
Archer
Adventure Time
Steven Universe
Gumball (somewhat of a guilty pleasure)
Phineas and Ferb

Not sure if Bojack Horseman counts as on the air but that one's surprisingly good too.

What about Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Forever)?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: August 02, 2015, 11:32:40 pm »

Haven't seen it yet.

Has anyone else seen Bojack Horseman?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: August 06, 2015, 05:19:31 pm »

This just in!

According to Gravity Falls

If you enjoy LARPing it is because you are a pathetic wannabe loser and should stop.

-_-

That honestly killed the entire episode for me
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:22:18 pm by Neonivek »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: August 06, 2015, 05:29:26 pm »

So here's a thing that just struck me about Inside Out:

Riley's emotions are 3 females and 2 males. While everyone else's emotions have the same sex, same as subject. Wat.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: August 06, 2015, 05:46:57 pm »

It is probably a puberty thing.

Since Riley doesn't yet have a strong gender identity.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: August 06, 2015, 05:51:15 pm »

It is probably a puberty thing.
Since Riley doesn't yet have a strong gender identity.

Huh. In the context of the movie, this makes a lot of sense.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: August 06, 2015, 06:54:13 pm »

IIRC The movies producers said it wasn't intended to mean anything. But on the other hand Death of the Author and all that. It's a neat interpretation.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: August 08, 2015, 12:45:50 am »

You know... I think I finally found a show that proves just how important animation and aesthetics are to a show.

So they remade Alvin and the Chipmonks in 3d and on the one hand I am vastly impressed because the voices, character, and plot are fully in tact. It feels like it could have been an episode of the show.

Yet SOMEHOW it just wasn't so entertaining as even a bad episode of the cartoon. I mean MAYBE it is the pacing, perhaps the plot advances a bit slowly, but to me I think it is the animation. The 3d is too slow, less expressive, and the characters look extremely stiff and often lifeless. I don't get across any of the character's personalities in their faces.

I honestly want to watch every episode of the 3d one because honestly name ONE remake of a show that felt like it was the exact same show?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: August 09, 2015, 11:51:36 pm »

IIRC The movies producers said it wasn't intended to mean anything. But on the other hand Death of the Author and all that. It's a neat interpretation.
Yeah. I hope I get an excuse to do essays on Pixar films one day.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: August 10, 2015, 10:18:18 am »

Has anyone else seen Bojack Horseman?

Just getting into Season 2 after watching 1 and liking it a lot. It's a great look at depression.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: August 10, 2015, 10:44:24 pm »

Isn't "death of the author" a fancy way of saying "unsupported bullshit" or "literary analytical wankerism"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: August 11, 2015, 06:11:08 am »

Isn't "death of the author" a fancy way of saying "unsupported bullshit" or "literary analytical wankerism"
Not really, it's actually an interesting point of discussion. For example take the poem "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. Ask just about anyone to interpret it nowadays, and you get all sorts of interpretations about how it's all about how you should take the road not traveled and see sights and whatnot. Unknown to them, when Frost wrote the poem he stated that he was actually writing it in a fairly ironic sense, and his whole point of the poem was that really in the long run it made absolutely no difference whether he took the road less or more traveled, so deciding based on the fact that one is less traveled is a very silly idea.

Now death of the author asks if it really matters if he wrote it in an ironic sense at all, and therefore everyone who thinks differently is "wrong", or if the really important thing is what we interpret the poem as now, regardless of what he wrote it with the intention of conveying. It's quite an interesting idea, and both sides have some pretty good points IMO. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: August 27, 2015, 01:33:34 am »

Steven Universe
So the Crystal Gems aren't fighting to protect earth because human life is special or precious. They're defending the Earth on a more general ethical grounds. That the Gems don't have the right to kill sapient life to further their own kind. Though it is kinda curious that the Gems take almost no interest in the life they're protecting. They're very ignorant about Humans.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: August 27, 2015, 02:34:04 am »

Steven Universe
So the Crystal Gems aren't fighting to protect earth because human life is special or precious. They're defending the Earth on a more general ethical grounds. That the Gems don't have the right to kill sapient life to further their own kind. Though it is kinda curious that the Gems take almost no interest in the life they're protecting. They're very ignorant about Humans.

Eh. Rose Quartz seemed to have some idea. The extended intro: "We were amazed to find/your beauty and your worth/We will protect your kind/and we will protect your Earth". Rose especially seemed to realize just how much worth human life had during her relationship with Greg.

Actually, this is sort of the theme of my pet theory. I think your point about the Gems is exactly why Rose decided to have Steven. She knew that a human boy with her gem abilities raised by someone like Greg could make a connection with humans that she never could by virtue of being an immortal gem alien. Steven, having actual human friends, would have a better reason to fight for Earth than any of the other Gems.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 200