Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 313116 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #1950 on: July 27, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »

They have states with alternate names (Keystone) and dollars with different cryptic symbols. There's some sort of federal government behind that; I'm assuming an alternate USA with another name.

Gem stuff is definitely known outside Beach City. There are gem buildings and constructs all over the planet, abandoned gem technology (the kindergarten(s?) and the old gem ships). Not to mention how thousands of years ago gems invaded the planet, started to suck the life out of it, and humans joined up with some rebel gems to fight them off. There's no way that's all been forgotten, but it might be mundane historical stuff by now.

It's definitely notable that US currency has a gem on it. Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl, and Rose Quartz were around when the US was founded, so there's a chance they were involved in the early government. I doubt they cared too much about human affairs back then - my theory is they just interfered enough to ensure the humans stayed away from them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:04:39 pm by penguinofhonor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 27, 2015, 03:13:34 pm »

I like to think that they believe they don't care, but they can't help but get involved when they see people in danger.

You actually kind of see it in the historical play where they just constantly tell him to leave and turn back, but consistently help him whenever he is in danger and eventually bow to his bravery and promise to help out.

Though I will admit... sometimes it is hard to like the Gems when they go full on ass mode towards humans.

Like when Pearl pretty much caused a power outage that could have lasted forever and wouldn't help.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 27, 2015, 03:43:56 pm »

They definitely care about protecting humans. That was central to the rebellion. My theory is gems mainly thought of humans kind of like we think of animals: carefree and needing protection. This is shown in "What Can I Do for You" when Rose sings "I like the way / Human beings play / I like playing along".

After "We Need to Talk" Rose started thinking of humans more as equals, and that attitude spread to the other three gems. Pearl resisted the idea, probably because she resented Greg, and is only starting to embrace it now because of Steven. I do agree this plays out annoyingly at times.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 27, 2015, 03:50:04 pm »

Those theories explain the lack of interest in the Gems themselves, but still, a (apparently) popular tourist beach city that both recently had it's coast drained (probably from around oceans around the world as well) and a defeated (but still, come on) alien invasion would generate some excitement and concern from the government at large. While the denizens of Beach City (and maybe the nation too) know about the Gems and their activities/history enough to accept and be indifferent to them (some think they're normal girls, like the grandma from the pizza shop, but the Mayor does call them "Those magic ladies" at one point), there's gotta be a point where someone outside 'the know' eventually picks up that the human race is in danger from sentient gemstones that want to harvest our planet.

They definitely care about protecting humans. That was central to the rebellion. My theory is gems mainly thought of humans kind of like we think of animals: carefree and needing protection. This is shown in "What Can I Do for You" when Rose sings "I like the way / Human beings play / I like playing along".

After "We Need to Talk" Rose started thinking of humans more as equals, and that attitude spread to the other three gems. Pearl resisted the idea, probably because she resented Greg, and is only starting to embrace it now because of Steven. I do agree this plays out annoyingly at times.

Yeah they do care. Pearl still shows some....condescension towards us humans, but she's coming along.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 27, 2015, 04:31:27 pm »

From what I understand a large part of the Gem disdain for humans is mostly two areas
1) Gems don't really get human beings... Humans place a lot of importance on things that Gems probably wouldn't or are a lot less self-sufficient then they are.
and
2) Humans live such short lives compared to them that basically getting involved with a human is pretty much a tragedy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 27, 2015, 08:08:43 pm »

It's not like gem activity is new, either. They've been doing these kinds of things for thousands of years, so you probably shouldn't expect some gigantic reaction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:46 am »

It's not like gem activity is new, either. They've been doing these kinds of things for thousands of years, so you probably shouldn't expect some gigantic reaction.

Yeah, technically gems have been around since the beginning of history. Gems are thoroughly mundane.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 31, 2015, 03:57:10 pm »

So apparently the internet has fallen into hipsterism over the new shows or would elitism be more accurate?

Basically they go that "adventure time, Steven universe, and regular show are good... and everything that came before it wasn't as good". I'd like to state that while Steven Universe is an excellent show... something like Jem and the Holograms and Batman the Animated Series are completely different shows. Better doesn't mean better in everyway. If there is one thing that is currently desperately missing in the current line up of cartoons it is high quality serious cartoons. Steven Universe doesn't replace a good serious show, it doesn't replace a comedy show, nor does it replace a full length or hour length show.

I keep hearing this complaint that "Old shows existed to sell toys, therefore they suck" when frankly... a lot of the time they were pretty good. Jem and the Holograms for example was made to sell toys and was mildly popular... and when it went off the air it was because the toys didn't sell (because they were PURE garbage... no really) and not because the show was unpopular. As well as much as you want to say it was low standards that sold "buy our toys" shows. It is more because these shows managed to tap into certain ideas and themes that even shows today do not do. The original transformers actually got across a war and managed to make the storylines seem huge (something completely lost on modern transformers). All in all is what I am saying is that. In the future people next time there is a line up of great shows. Don't suddenly besmirch the old ones. Even "I" think the 90s was the golden age of children's cartoons and that the 80s wasn't AS good, but even I won't DARE take credit away from the shows that came out at the time.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 31, 2015, 11:51:30 pm »

What? Who's dissing Batman: TAS?

TBH, I don't like the messy style of animation that was the big thing in the 90s for the non-serious shows. But that wasn't the only thing going on.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 01, 2015, 12:05:58 am »

Why does everyone love "Stephen Universe" so much? It's an ok show, but it's hardly great or groundbreaking.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: August 01, 2015, 12:11:18 am »

Why does everyone love "Stephen Universe" so much? It's an ok show, but it's hardly great or groundbreaking.

A funny, somewhat entertaining show, with feminine overtones with a bunch of strong characters, good music, retro design, great songs (for a TV show), and a great story.

Certainly enough there to like.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 01, 2015, 12:14:35 am »

What Neo said.

On the other hand, it's got that kind of infuriating Secret Depth thing that's become really popular lately that basically requires you to watch about half of a series before you can really get to like it.

Like, SU really doesn't pick up too much until about the end of season 1 and a lot of the great episodes are in season 2. Seasons 1 is 52 episodes long (~10-minute episodes, but still).

It is the only work of fiction that I am willing to recommend to literally everyone, though, so I'd say it's pretty good.

Like, uh, I've got a couple two-hour (11 episode) watch regiments that try to avoid "filler" (which the show has none of, but you actually have to be somewhat invested to appreciate the fluff), keep early in the series (all but Lion 3 are in the first 26 episodes; Lion 3 is exceptional enough that I think it's worth it. It's been nominated for an emmy) and focus on some of the better stuff, one for people who like more personal things and one for people who like action more.

Course, I didn't put too much effort into that. Not just that, but ending the second one with the half-season two-parter might not be the best. The first one is what I would probably watch through again.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:16:32 am by Putnam »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 01, 2015, 12:17:12 am »

Oddly enough when Steven Universe finally dropped that secret depth, or at least most of it, it actually improved.

Unlike say Adventure time where the exact opposite happened.

Mind you this is because Steven Universe's secret depth felt to me as a way to sort of slowly reveal things and develop them at a reasonable pace.

While Adventure time's secret depths were there as a backdrop but were otherwise completely unimportant.

---

I guess why it works in Steven Universe and not Adventure time is more simple then that.

In Steven Universe you want to know more and that information is important to the characters and setting. So in the end revealing it was to the benefit of the show.

While Adventure Time's Hidden Depth started off as more of a Bonus, that if you wanted to look further and really analyze each episode you really could. So revealing it just means they are pissing time away.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:20:49 am by Neonivek »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 01, 2015, 12:28:54 am »

A funny, somewhat entertaining show, with feminine overtones with a bunch of strong characters, good music, retro design, great songs (for a TV show), and a great story.

Certainly enough there to like.

It's not bad. It's not even not good. But it certainly isn't great. It's nowhere near the level of Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, My Little Pony, or (on a different note) Aqua Teen Hunger Force Forever
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 200