Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 313185 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #1830 on: January 06, 2015, 03:43:54 am »

I dunno but I guess Western Animation does have: Rainbow Bright, Equestria Girls, Strawberry Shortcake, Bratz, Monster High, Winx Club, Trolls, Sofia the First, and Jem and the Holograms.

Though I shouldn't put in Jem and the Holograms because it was pretty amazing... As well I'd defend Sofia the First to the death.

And they should have continued Jane and the Dragon.

Sometimes it pays to actually know a LOT of TV shows.

I think the lesson everyone should take from this is: Put Jane and the Dragon back on the air! Goodness!

It is actually TO DATE the only Western Show that has a "Kind hearted Male Character who wouldn't hurt a fly" AS his character... and I LOVE him. I love his introduction where Jane couldn't even track him because he walks so softly that he doesn't leave tracks. Why does he walk so softly? Because he doesn't want to hurt any plants. (Which I mention because that is the one male character I want to appear in TV more often... Goodness Alexander from FF6 and the Gardener from Jane and The Dragon and that is it)

And Most characters in Jane and the Dragon actually has depth. So you have the spoiled Rotten young and fat prince right? But he is also a rather large animal lover and dislikes the hunt, giving hints that perhaps there is a kind heart under everything.

As well Jane is just an awesome character, I honestly wanted to see more episodes centered just around her exploring. But what is most admirable about her is that she sticks to her code of ethics and doesn't break them even when it might hurt her. She is also witty, quick, quick thinking, kind most of the time, brash, brave, headstrong, prideful, stubborn.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:52:00 am by Neonivek »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: January 06, 2015, 03:53:08 am »

If I like X, then person A saying "I don't like X because the artstyle isn't my thing" or "I can't connect to the stories" is perfectly valid and ok.

However, if A says "I don't like X because it degenerates women" then that implies I enjoy things that degenerate women. And since I like to think that's not the case, there's a clear difference with the previous. Couple that with the fact that person A then displays a very lacking knowledge of the subject, I do see why that would really tick people of.

For comparison: If I like reading, and you don't because you can't get into a story that way, that's ok. But if you don't like reading, and then go on to proclaim that's because "books are just filthy smut and power fantasies" (implying that I, as a known reading fan, am into that stuff), and then couple that with saying "Oh yeah, I've only ever read fifty shades of grey, and none of the thousands of other books out there" then I think you can see where the problem lies.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 06, 2015, 03:56:56 am »

If I like X, then person A saying "I don't like X because the artstyle isn't my thing" or "I can't connect to the stories" is perfectly valid and ok.

However, if A says "I don't like X because it degenerates women" then that implies I enjoy things that degenerate women. And since I like to think that's not the case, there's a clear difference with the previous. Couple that with the fact that person A then displays a very lacking knowledge of the subject, I do see why that would really tick people of.

For comparison: If I like reading, and you don't because you can't get into a story that way, that's ok. But if you don't like reading, and then go on to proclaim that's because "books are just filthy smut and power fantasies" (implying that I, as a known reading fan, am into that stuff), and then couple that with saying "Oh yeah, I've only ever read fifty shades of grey, and none of the thousands of other books out there" then I think you can see where the problem lies.

Agreed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 06, 2015, 03:59:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I saw the Rainbow Bright Reboot

It is somehow worse and actually insulting to everyone...

I mean sure the old Rainbow Bright has a lot of REALLY unfortunate implications, but it was actually awesome for that.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 06, 2015, 04:01:16 am »

Also I saw the Rainbow Bright Reboot

It is somehow worse and actually insulting to everyone...

I mean sure the old Rainbow Bright has a lot of REALLY unfortunate implications, but it was actually awesome for that.

There was a Scooby Doo remake lately and the animation was one of the most hideous I'd ever seen. They also shoehorned in a romance between Shaggy and Velma. It was ick.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 06, 2015, 04:02:09 am »

That show was fucking incredible.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 06, 2015, 04:08:04 am »

The old Scooby Doo was, please don't tell me they've ruined my childhood favorite show?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 06, 2015, 04:10:33 am »

Yeah while the Shaggy and Velma romance was terrible...

The Fred and Daphne Romance was probably one of the BEST romances I've seen in western animation. Neither of them demanded anything from the other that they weren't honestly owed and their journey was about learning about the other and celebrating their differences. They actually shown how a atypical relationship would work. Fred didn't have to suddenly learn how to express himself in ways that he honestly couldn't, and Daphne didn't have to do anything really (Daphne was pretty much the driver in that relationship).

As opposed to Carl Squared where Sky had full control of the relationship and the entire thing was mostly Sky usually being overly critical and demanding and Carl needing to do whatever the heck she wanted and Sky usually only helping Carl when it suits her interests. Or Carl just doing whatever the heck he wanted and just being an uncomfortable jerk to Sky (it gets better after they compromise...)... But on the PLUS side... Sky eventually learns that all their relationship seems to be is Carl doing stuff for her.

Carl and Sky's relationship is pretty much my exemplar of how not to do a relationship in fiction (unless you do it intentionally).

The old Scooby Doo was, please don't tell me they've ruined my childhood favorite show?

IF... and this is a bit If... you can get past the horrible Velma and Shaggy romance tumor... You will enjoy it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 06, 2015, 04:10:48 am »

I never really liked the animation in the Hanna Barbara cartoons, they were too stiff compared to the Disney cartoons and ended up looking rather... well... cheap.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 06, 2015, 04:18:26 am »

The old Scooby Doo was shit. This one has... a plot.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 06, 2015, 04:21:05 am »

Scooby Doo was a MotW style format... Why would it need a plot?

Hey, the animation was fine and the show entertaining for 7 year old me. >_>
I always found most of the Disney stuff not that interesting, anyway.

Still, if the new one's good, that's awesome.
The circle is complete.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 06, 2015, 04:25:24 am »

Hey, the animation was fine

wait okay I've been exaggerating my hate of the old scooby doo for mostly comedic effect (I actually enjoy watching it) but there's no way you can make that statement in particular with a straight face

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 06, 2015, 04:29:02 am »

It was definitely pretty stiff and worse than the Disney animation, but it wasn't noticeably bad to my 7 year old brain. Nowadays I'd probably laugh at it, but it's, subjectively, 'fine'. >_>
Nothing to write home about, though.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 06, 2015, 04:31:24 am »

Poor animation can be saved with good characterization and plot.

*Laughs*

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 06, 2015, 04:32:55 am »

From my childhood I remember wacthing only Samurai Jack and Last Airbender. All the other stuff aired just filled the time between those two for me. All the other cartoons I saw I watched during past two years.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 200