Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Madness of the children  (Read 4376 times)

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Madness of the children
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:43:20 pm »

I want to know if this is a problem in other fortresses.

My current fortress in 0.34.10 has a major problem in that all of the children born in the fortress are going insane once they transition from babies to children.  I was confused about this at first but found with little effort that what is happening is this:  The children are born and go through the baby phase just fine.  Once they turn into children, however, they suddenly notice that they have no clothes, get a MASSIVE negative thought from it.  They then pick up a full outfit of clothing (which I might add my fortress is freaking swimming in new clothes, not goblin ware) and go about their miserable way.  The problem develops at this point.  Apparently the negative thought is so horrible that they remain in the "unhappy" emotional state for so long that they start going insane, berserk, and melancholy.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Because it is making it impossible to continue my fortresses past a certain point since all the children are going insane and murdering people only to be killed by the guard themselves.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Madness of the children
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »

Just give them socks, they'll be fine.

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:51:50 pm »

they have plenty of socks, shoes, tunics, trousers, robes, dresses, and more!  but they are all going insane! 

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:54:41 pm »

Nuff' said.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:57:44 pm »

If you build a waterfall or other mist generator then the children will rack up "pleased by mist" thoughts to counter the hit when they realize that they are naked. Alternatively you can just immediately assign them a bedroom and have a legendary dining room with good food and drink and they will probably survive long enough that the good thoughts can counter the bad ones. The problem is really that babies don't get many thoughts (such as eat, drank, or slept in a good room) so until they reach the child stage they don't really get any good thoughts to counter out the bad ones caused by the naked transition.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:00:02 pm »

so this IS a problem in everyone else's fortress?

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:03:40 pm »

Yup, all the kids I've gotten through fortress births have gone bonkers. The few that I get through migrant waves are fine, though.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:05:20 pm »

None of my recent forts and/or babies have survived long enough for this to be a problem, no. But may I suggest some variation of dwarven child care? I think you can also edit the announcements.txt to pause and zoom any time a baby grows, so you'll know when to segregate the child.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:15:43 pm »

With the method that I mentioned I have yet to have a fortress born kid go crazy. Seriously, 1 mist generator positioned over your dining room entrance stops all of these problems in their tracks.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 09:35:34 pm »

With the method that I mentioned I have yet to have a fortress born kid go crazy. Seriously, 1 mist generator positioned over your dining room entrance stops all of these problems in their tracks.

Well... you see I have an entire workshop complex one z-level above my meeting rooms and dining room. so I can not exactly build anything above those rooms.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:53:00 pm »

Make a new dining hall. You've probably got enough gold, platinum, and silver by now.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:40:40 pm »

an update on my situation...

I created a new meeting area (I have never created a mist generator before and did not want to waste golden tables on a dining room that may flood).

After finding out that a single dwarven water-reactor could NOT power 18 gear assemblies and 18 screw pumps, I created another dwarven water-reactor on top of it.  This solved the power issue.

I now have a meeting hall full of wonderful, dwarf pleasing mist.

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 11:10:08 pm »

wow... this thing is several z-layers tall and has so many moving parts... its beautiful.  I wish I had used these things sooner!  Seriously.  I think I am going to play the Isengard theme from the lord of of the rings movies and just watch it move.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 11:41:57 pm »

Hmm...

Children. Going insane. In Dwarf Fortress.

This is a problem why?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

mithosaurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 11:47:41 pm »

Hmm...

Children. Going insane. In Dwarf Fortress.

This is a problem why?

Because my fortress is lasting long enough that these children are going to become fortress workers themselves.  Plus all the dead children berserkers are making my vampire king look bad.
Pages: [1] 2