Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I get my masons to use blocks instead of regular stones?  (Read 3564 times)

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So basically, I have plenty of nice blocks, RIGHT BY THE MASON WORKSHOPS, but they still use normal stones to construct the tables.

Why, masons? Why?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get my masons to use blocks instead of regular stones?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:37:05 pm »

They dont use blocks I believe.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:45:27 pm »

*facepalms*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:49:48 pm »

Rock blocks are for constructions, not finished goods :£

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 01:29:43 am »

and also buildings
I like sushi.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:07:54 am »

Out of curiosity... How many unwanted rock blocks are you sitting on right now?

Hundreds?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:35:58 am »

Build Giant Temple of Armok outside from those blocks...

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 05:45:57 am »

may i suggest:
dig a quarry, you can use the Blocks you have to build minecart tracks to link it to your fort, have dwarfs load the minecart with stone and then haul it to your fort. Much faster than hauling the stone piecemeal.

I suggest having it a couple of Z-levels down, so you can guide the carts up and push them down! (though you may get the announcement of "*oaken minecart* has collided with an obstacle" followed by "Urist Mc_terrible_dodger has been struck by a minecart")
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 07:39:30 am »

I had thought to myself that it ought to work that way with the new mining drop rate, because surely a chair is smaller than a wall which can be built with a block.  Then I realized that if you can build anything at a mason shop with blocks, then you can build blocks from blocks.  Because multiple blocks are now created that would become an infinite supply of rock.   :o
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 08:23:31 am »

Has anyone tested if craft goods can (still) be created using blocks?  I never got around to verifying that worked prior to the block buff. (Darn day job, that I need to leave for in 5 min.)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:51 am »

Has anyone tested if craft goods can (still) be created using blocks?  I never got around to verifying that worked prior to the block buff. (Darn day job, that I need to leave for in 5 min.)
I don't believe that they ever could before, and I just tested in 34.10.  They cannot now either.  My craft workshop was set to make ten rock pots.  It was linked to a stockpile that contained shale blocks, and co-incidentally, two shale rocks.  Two rock pots were made from the shale rocks, and the other eight were cancelled "Needs non-economic hard rock."

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 05:09:47 pm »

Blocks are very convenient for megaprojects now with the x4 production rate, but that's about it. They cover only constructions, but you'll have to mine more for furniture and finished goods production. Start producing metal furniture if you can afford that luxury, or switch to wood if you're desperate. Or simply dig out more stone :P

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »

I don't believe that they ever could before, and I just tested in 34.10.  They cannot now either.  My craft workshop was set to make ten rock pots.  It was linked to a stockpile that contained shale blocks, and co-incidentally, two shale rocks.  Two rock pots were made from the shale rocks, and the other eight were cancelled "Needs non-economic hard rock."
Thank you.  I had thought that was the case, but someone said otherwise and I never got the time (or remembered when I did) to verify through first hand !!science!!.

Me, I tried to build everything out of stone blocks, even before the block output buff, unless I knew for sure its a temp structure, then I tend to use wood logs for it.  The update has definitely increased the amount of blocks I have available for walling off my little piece of the world from the undead. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »

Blocks are very convenient for megaprojects now with the x4 production rate, but that's about it.
With the new drop rate, doesn't that make them just as available as both rocks and blocks used to be, but without the reuseability of rock?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »

Blocks are very convenient for megaprojects now with the x4 production rate, but that's about it.
With the new drop rate, doesn't that make them just as available as both rocks and blocks used to be, but without the reuseability of rock?
Looks that way to me.  The main difference now is that the rocks weigh a lot more and take more time to move.  Of course, a bin of blocks is probably pretty heavy, too.  I know a bin of metal bars is slow to move now.
Pages: [1] 2