Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to prevent hospital from using adamatine threads?  (Read 2053 times)

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos

Title says it all. I have wounded dwarfs who need fixing but I don't want to use the tons of adamatine threads waiting to be made into wafers in the hospital?

Will the dwarfs just have to suffer until I'm done processing the wafers?

(edit)

Whoops this was meant to go into the DF question and answer section of the forums. I already know there is a suggestion to prevent adamantine in the forums, but wanted to ask if there was any way to prevent it. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:15:07 pm by vertinox »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to prevent hospital from using adamatine threads?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:16:51 am »

Since you can't control which goods go where in the Hospital menu or anywhere else, probably not... but you can make a separate stockpile for the Adamantine strands (tell it to accept no cloth and have it take from all other stockpiles) and put it behind a locked door or something. Try keeping the Dwarves from accessing the adamantine thread until they fill the hospital stocks up with other cloth and thread. Remember that they will only put in as many items as your amount of bags and chests x10 so placing smaller amounts at a time can help you control.

But yeah, just keep them under lock and key until the Dwarves fill your hospital up with other cloth then unlock. Not really any other way to do it that I can think of.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:55:17 am »

Since you can't control which goods go where in the Hospital menu or anywhere else, probably not... but you can make a separate stockpile for the Adamantine strands (tell it to accept no cloth and have it take from all other stockpiles) and put it behind a locked door or something. Try keeping the Dwarves from accessing the adamantine thread until they fill the hospital stocks up with other cloth and thread. Remember that they will only put in as many items as your amount of bags and chests x10 so placing smaller amounts at a time can help you control.

But yeah, just keep them under lock and key until the Dwarves fill your hospital up with other cloth then unlock. Not really any other way to do it that I can think of.

the doctor will grab thread from wherever is closest to where he is, not hospital stocks. In general the advice is not to put coffers and such in a hospital since they're bugged in filling them and get ignored most of the time anyway. Keep the strands locked away untill the doctor is done sewing everyone up and be ready to lock it again if someone gets diagnosed as needing surtures.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »

Or simply put the suturer in a burrow. That will prevent him from fetching anything outside said burrow.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:24:55 pm »

Or simply put the suturer in a burrow. That will prevent him from fetching anything outside said burrow.

This won't help if adamantine thread makes it into the hospital, since it will be in the same burrow as the suturer; perhaps make it so your hospital has a stockpile with thread, splints, plaster, etc. and keep the addy threads FAR away (consider using the stocks screen to mass-forbid addy thread when you know wounded are being treated, then unforbid afterwards).

In the event you do lose some addy to health care, you could always consider using one of the metal duplicating exploits to give yourself enough free addy to make up for it (since you only lost it to a glitch, after all).
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:51:37 pm »

Try not putting coffers in the hospital and having the suturer's burrow only extend to those stockpiles where you keep non-metal threads.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 01:28:59 am »

Try not putting coffers in the hospital and having the suturer's burrow only extend to those stockpiles where you keep non-metal threads.

^ This might work really well; a large enough fort should have separate housing for the hospital staff anyway, to minimize the risk the Doctor is far away when patients come.  A few bedrooms, a small dining area and food/drink stockpile (coupled with some wells, which every hospital should have), and a medical supply stockpile instead of coffers (set to accept splints, crutches, plaster powder, non-metal thread, and soap) should allow you to assign your entire medical staff to the burrow and never worry about anything else.  A few dedicated haulers can keep the place supplied, and your doctors and nurses can tend to patients with minimal risk of them being on break, feed/tend to patients promptly (since the patients will likely be the only jobs in the burrow anyway), and not worry about the death of a patient upsetting them, since they'll spend their lives isolated in the medical ward.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

orfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 04:28:44 am »

There was a recent thread on this in the Dwarf Mode Discussion section:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112676.0

Best post is probably this one:
Despite rumors to the contrary, hospital storage limits still seem completely broken.

Therefore: Don't ever build storage in a hospital.  Make a cloth stockpile, a thread stockpile, and a finished goods (Splints/crutches) one.

Now even more effective since workshops can be make to take only from stockpiles designated to give to them.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:43:13 am »

I'd also add soap a soap stockpile in there, prioritizing that over splints/crutches.