Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "made armor stop lack of clothing thoughts"  (Read 2194 times)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"made armor stop lack of clothing thoughts"
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »

Oh yes oh very yes.
Its time to make copper/dog leather/bone armor for all the dwarves and shut down the clothier shop forever.
And coupled with this:
Quote from: Toady
added ability to set up generic armor options in uniforms (like the ones the defaults have)

stopped dwarves from looping between civ/squad equipment if they can't follow their orders
I have been waiting for this. The lifespan of every dwarf has just increased dramatically. The ideas im getting for this ohhhh.
Also good:
cleared kill orders after completion
stopped aspects of the game from advancing when designations were placed

The only dowside:
stopped adventurer from turning into an underground creature when in the ocean/etc.

Discuss, if there isnt a thread up already.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "made armor stop lack of clothing thoughts"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:37:09 pm »

Now if only you can assign civilians armor, my humans would be invincible.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »

You can always place everyone in inactive squads, set the uniforms to replace clothing and make a massive barracks/bathtub/meeting hall/statue garden/mist generator for overachievers to train.

And you could let you important dwarfs carry weapons or give your nobles ceremonial weapons like a nethercap training sword (call it frostjoy) decorated with black diamonds. Oh the possibilities!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:55:33 pm »

The "Uniformed when inactive" setting is bugged and doesn't work for dwarves with enabled mining, woodcutting or hunting. They drop or put into stockpile all their armor once switched to civilian.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:22:14 pm »

Maybe hes fixing that as well now that hes looking into armor designations? Maybe next update will see it fixed? Dont break my hopes man.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:25:08 pm »

There is quite a big chance he will fix it before the next update.
He already fixed a few equipment bugs today (they got marked as Fixed in the Bug Tracker, but not posted in devlog yet).
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:33:30 am »

Now if only you can assign civilians armor, my humans would be invincible.

Humans?!  ???  Anyway, What I find works really well is to assign all civilians to squads (except miners, hunters, and woodcutters.  They're bugged :( ).  I make a custom Civilian uniform using leather armor, leather legging, any low boots, a leather cloak, leather hood, leather cap, metal helm, wooden buckler, and any short sword (just some basic stuff that won't overburden and slow them down too much).  Since "clothing" works properly, now, you can just set it to "wear over clothes," or add trousers, shirt, shoes and set it "replace clothes."  I guess next version armor will count as clothes so this will be easier. 

Anyway once you do that, just confirm in their schedule it's set as "wear uniform when inactive" (the default setting), and then leave them as inactive forever, don't build or assign them any barracks.  They will now act exactly like normal civilians, except they will armor up and grab swords (you can make them do this faster by issuing a "move" command to the armor stockpile).  You also have the option of stationing them somewhere quickly if you want, but I just stick to burrows for that.  Make sure to set their priority below your military in the military menu, I think (m) > (e) > (P), then put them at the bottom of the list (so soliders get priority over civvies on picking good armor).

Also make sure to set them to not carry any food with (m) > uh, (u)? > 'carry no food.'  I find it handy to keep re-rolling the squad name until it starts with a "C," for Civilian, to keep it organised (though I guess in the new version you can nickname squads manually.  Yay :D )

This has always worked perfectly for me.  Back in 31.25 I always used "replace clothing" since they didn't get unhappy thought from being naked, and wouldn't automatically reclothe themselves.

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:08:32 pm »

I am not sure what i think about the idea of having all my dwarves grab swords, that just would make tantruming muxh more !!FUN!!

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 12:49:15 pm »

I am not sure what i think about the idea of having all my dwarves grab swords, that just would make tantruming muxh more !!FUN!!

Aha!  But consider this:

All the dwarves that tantrummer attacks will also have swords to defend themselves with, so it may help limit total deaths from berserkers/tantrummers. 

(I have heard that your fear is why arming all civilians with crossbows, while extremely effective, is not so appealing.  Sniping tantrummers...)

At any rate, even wooden swords may help, just as something to help knock goblins back with until your military comes.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:25:27 am »

Plus if you make sure your civilians are not as well equipped as the military (ie reserve addy/steel for actual soldiers and nobles) then they won't stand a chance against your troops if they get on the wrong side of the law, while still being protected against other threats, like goblins.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »

Plus if you make sure your civilians are not as well equipped as the military (ie reserve addy/steel for actual soldiers and nobles) then they won't stand a chance against your troops if they get on the wrong side of the law, while still being protected against other threats, like goblins.

Great point.  In addition to putting them below the military squads in the Priority list (so the military get's better weapons first)I specify my military squads to use Steel Swords/Axes (I use 'partial match ok', because it takes a while to get enough Steel to go around), and the Civilians to 'any metal' (So in the end they'll use the copper/bronze etc.)

Similar deal for the armor, but I don't even put breastplates/chainmail etc. on civvies because it would slow them down more than it's worth.  I figure a metal helm + wooden buckler is pretty light, but can protect against most of the fatal blows.  Leather armor etc. is good enough for everything else.