Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: phoenix  (Read 5421 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: phoenix
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 11:23:38 am »

depends inhaled syndromes are hit and miss, and who are you transforming? the attackers? you would simple have a small chance of giving a attacker a phoenix form haha

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 02:56:23 am »

Phoenix virus?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 08:59:15 am »

That would actually explain the stories--it didn't come back, the person who killed it became a clone of it and went berserk!

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 07:55:45 am »

And so the thread slowly drifted to weaponisation direction at last.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 08:10:37 am »

I'm surprised this thread got so many responses at all.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 03:16:09 pm »

So-- isn't it possible to make an itemcorpse that explosively vaporizes, searing nearby creatures with heat and possibly transforming them with an interaction? Or would you need to use an interaction with the two-fold effect of converting someone and vaporizing the user?

Qwaar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »

I resisted for quite some time, but now you've gone done it, you've made me make an account so I can say I love the ideas here.

Now are phoenixes naturally dwarf hating or do you have to do something, like say can the phoenix lay eggs that if it sees a dwarf near enters MURDER mode? Can dwarves be so dumb as to see phoenix eggs, consider them valid eating, and upon eating it (should he survive the phoenix) be afflicted with a contagious phoenix pox?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 12:20:01 am »

So-- isn't it possible to make an itemcorpse that explosively vaporizes, searing nearby creatures with heat and possibly transforming them with an interaction? Or would you need to use an interaction with the two-fold effect of converting someone and vaporizing the user?
Make it drop a boulder with something like [FIXED_TEMP:12000] and [BOILING_POINT:11999]. Then just give it a [SYNDROME] that does whatever you want it to.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 09:54:12 am »

Okay that's enough talking.  Here's a phoenix that revives itself by giving everyone around it the ability to revive phoenixes, which CPU controlled creatures will do automatically.  (It is still in danger of dying from wounds after killing everything in the area though).

The creature(s):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The interactions:

Qwaar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 02:51:35 pm »

So no eating the eggs then for hilarious conversion of all dwarves to phoenixes due to phoenix skin condition?

Can syndromes affect descriptions of dwarves? Like say I wanted to mod this could I add such details as symptoms?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 04:29:56 pm »

Here is what I arrived at. I added a contact syndrome to its blood material that turns it into an egg-caste for a period of time, and turn it back again if the egg isnt killed meanwhile.

It is composed of 3 tissues, an outer flame tissue, bone and inside the bone a 2nd flame tissue which is the only vascular tissue. (bird bones are hollow! how convenient for me.)

So far it only died from sheer numbers of dwarves and lots of luck, the heat it radiates kills off groups of any size so it mosly comes down to getting a lucky hit. They dont hold out as well against massed range weapons though.

Problems so far include: world gen crash (presumably due to egg caste. May have to make that a seperate creature.)
Its basically a one hit-point wonder, it can toast entire squads without a scratch and then 'die' from a bolt to the toe.
The egg caste has similar problems as the one above. Making it entirely indestructable seems unfair, whilst the current egg thing just delays actual death by one attack roll.
It it strangely incapable of killing zombies. Normal creature and corpses just completely evaporate, zombies are just on fire forever. This may not be as big a problem in actual dwarf mode. Not as many necromancer giant sponges there.

EDIT: Concerning above post, CE_BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER and CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER should let you mess with creature discriptions to some extent, though I am not sure if it can go beyond stuff like 'his teeth are very long'. I suppose you can at least turn their skin yellow with red dots with those.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:41:56 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »

You could perhaps give it a more solid tissue layer in addition to the flame. There are a lot of renditions of phoenixes, some more solid than others. Protection from instant death and capable of bleeding out.

Qwaar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »

I was thinking something along the lines of that kinda description for initial symptom followed by a YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO KILL THIS GUY warning of "Their pustules have all grown and some have burst to reveal orange down beneath."

at the end of the week, dwarf explodes into phoenix.

Qwaar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:53 pm »

Apologies for double posting, but as this is one of my first actual heavy excursions into token modding, I'm getting lost before I get my prototype version of the infectious creature out.

So I have the tokens I think I need to mod descriptions, and am writing them out in what I think are the correct manners, but I have no concept really of time units, as I want the blister tag to go for a week, with the second half of that coinciding with a body appearance modifier tag that does the suggested yellow skin red blisters description, followed by a new symptom of oozing to simulate infectious blood on the surface so when the dwarf touches other dwarfs he spreads the condition. At the same time I want to use a new BP appearance tag to describe the blisters as having burst and revealed the horror of orange down underneath, this whole time a fever is also getting worse, to imply the dwarf is turning into FIRE, only without killing the dwarf. At this point I want one week to have passed, but unfortunately I dont know how to make the dwarf infectious with the same syndrome, yes I see the contact and syndrome tags, but how would I make them reference a syndrome without a title and its own file?

The second week I just want it to look stable except for a slightly worsening fever, and the pus going away, until finally, BOOM, dwarf turns into phoenix and lights things within a tile of him on fire.

I think I have everything down in my head except for the infectiousness, and the time units. If someone could help me with that it would be awesome.

edit: also, having a problem trying to figure out the syntax of the BP appearance modifier, can someone give me a hand with that, just the word to use to have the skin color attribute change to the one listed above.

edit2: and heres what I have

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:phoenix hen:phoenix hens:phoenix hen]
[FEMALE]
[LAYS_EGGS]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGGSHELL:SOLID]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_WHITE:LIQUID]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[EGG_SIZE:80]
[CLUTCH_SIZE:3:4]
[SYNDROME]