Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: phoenix  (Read 5418 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: phoenix
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 08:36:28 am »

I recall a thread where a chicken was set to lay bees instead of eggs. Can it be modded so that a phoenix, upon dying, would leave such an odd egg (like a bronze colossus leaves behind a statue)?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 09:02:24 am »

The tag that makes chickens lay things other than eggs makes them lay a specific type of item. Something like that might work for a pheonix, but I don't think they really got it to work, and it definitely wouldn't work if you tried to turn it into a non-vermin on death.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 09:17:22 am »

maybe it will leave a stone which will evaporate and transform everyone near it to phoenixes? Though original would be dead anyway.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 09:17:43 am »

I will be !!sciencing!! the following:

- Phoenix is prevented from being dismembered
 - It will be built from bone and undamagable flame tissue, for blood it will use flames also.
 - It dies when bled out or when its skull is destroyed
 - Upon dying one of its materials should evaporate, emiting a phoenix-reviving gas.
 - Said gas should also contain a syndrome to temporarily impair the phoenix, or turn him into a seperate phoenix egg creature for a set period of time.

Fairly confident in all but step 4, with which I havnt expirimented much with.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 09:19:04 am »

Well the problem is - if it does something upon death then it is already dead:) You can raise a zombie though and THEN revive it:)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 09:33:44 am »

Zombie phoenix just isn't the same as it springing back to life naturally.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 09:35:32 am »

CE_RESSURECT. Or maybe it's RESURRECT. I dunno.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 10:04:05 am »

- It will be built from bone and undamagable flame tissue, for blood it will use flames also.
 - Upon dying one of its materials should evaporate, emiting a phoenix-reviving gas.
 - Said gas should also contain a syndrome to temporarily impair the phoenix, or turn him into a seperate phoenix egg creature for a set period of time.

Step 4 won't work, unfortunately.  Materials can't do interactions, and only an interaction can revive a creature.  Materials can give new interactions to living creatures that breathe it in, though.

I recall a thread where a chicken was set to lay bees instead of eggs. Can it be modded so that a phoenix, upon dying, would leave such an odd egg (like a bronze colossus leaves behind a statue)?

It doesn't work, despite constant attempts to make it happen.  You can't create new creatures properly - spawned vermin will zip around randomly at hyperspeed before promptly vanishing, eggs won't have a creature type and certainly won't hatch, corpses won't belong to any particular creature, etc.

In short, if you want something revived, something alive has to do the reviving.

Actually, there's another way.  You could make it a regional effect that takes place everywhere - kind of like the zombie animation in evil regions - just change ANIMATE to RESURRECT, make it operate everywhere, and make it only affect phoenixes (you can do this by giving the phoenix a unique CREATURE_CLASS).  Also change it to an 'egg' class or something for a time (this will also keep it from dying immediately from whatever killed it in the first place).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 11:08:20 am »

Why don't you use a tennis interaction? It will only work if there is an attacker tho, the phoenix casts a "resurrect me" spell on the attackers. And once it dies the attacker resurrects the phoenix.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 01:41:06 pm »

What about Itemcorpse? The item could be a phoenix egg vermin that secretes a substance(or a dust cloud of flame!) that turns itself into another phoenix.  I used itemcorpse several versions back for a rabite/black rabite, but I never got around to encountering one in adventure mode(I didn't know about the arena then!)
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 04:10:35 pm »

vermin don't secrete or can be affected by interactions/syndromes unfortunetly

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »

But can a vermin resurrect the phoenix corpse? 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 08:32:26 pm »

No.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 01:05:41 am »

Step 4 won't work, unfortunately.  Materials can't do interactions, and only an interaction can revive a creature.  Materials can give new interactions to living creatures that breathe it in, though.

Turns out corpses cannot partialy evaporate either. It just take whatever material properties makes up the majourity of the creature and uses those for the whole corpse =/

Going to look into just making the creature 'fake' death by transforming itself.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 08:11:09 am »

There's a few things you can do.

Materials can have syndromes attatched. Syndromes can't raise the dead, but they can do some things. Like transformations.
You can create ITEMCORPSEs of, say, boulders that evaporate at room temperature.
Sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3