Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Villains!  (Read 1879 times)

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
Villains!
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:33:09 pm »

So from what I can gather, the next release after the current bug fixes is going to include villains or villainous entities in one way or another. With the addition of necromancers,werebeasts, vampires and bandit warlords rather recently (the last two years...) This is pretty convenient. So yes, let's discuss the implications of villains, what we know/predict will be happening with villains.

Also i'll gather up any information that we find out from devlogs here.
Blargh.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Villains!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 02:23:10 pm »

Looks like they'll be bullies.
I hope they tie you to minecart tracks in future releases.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:50:31 pm »

Villains! ties very well into Heroes! in my opinion.

Mostly because they can be two sides of the same coin if your cards are played right. I like to read it as People-Who-Take-Initiative-To-Change-The-World! The person who is power hungry (wanting to bring more settlements under his fold for the sake of owning them) and the person who wants to make a better world through uniting towns under a common cause by way of force (wanting to bring more settlements under his fold for the sake of peace) is going to use the same mechanic to do this. This will produce conflict. Conflict produces plot and story. Story produces a sense that you're not just going through the world cutting people down for fun.

Of course, you can fight bandits right now. And that can lead to some story. But what about picking sides in a war of succession?

Quote from: Dev items
Succession and succession struggles

The king dies, and two of his sons both want the throne. You've mostly been killing night creatures so far, and you've built up a reputation for getting the job done. Suddenly, you're an asset to both sides! But which one do you choose? Who do you think will make the better king? The older brother is weaker as a political figure, but he's well loved by the people. The younger brother wants to drive the kingdom into being an economic powerhouse, but he's off-putting to most people -- except for a couple of the bigger mayors in the kingdom who want to be part of a much stronger nation. The civil war is going to be bloody, and the choices you make are going to have an impact on the history of the world for the next hundred years!

Or you die of typhus in a ditch.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:02:21 pm »

That last sentence actually caused a lol.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:00:24 am »

As I understand it, the villains have already been added in as night creatures, entity position holders, bandit leaders, and necromancers.  What this update will do is give them goals, and have people move around and potentially do bad stuff so that killing them actually serves some sort of purpose.  Also, it says on the dev page that villains are just leaders of groups you oppose, so we should expect some moral ambiguity.

Also, personal prediction, I expect all the NPCs to be (more so than intended) sociopathic about pursuing their goals.  I say that based on a story about the early development of Oblivion: they originally planned to have NPCs go and do stuff on their own with a goal based system much like the one DF is supposed to have.  For one of the tests, they gave one guy a rake and one a broom, and told the rake one to sweep the floor and the broom one to rake leaves.  The guy with the rake decided he needed the broom, so he killed the guy with the broom, then took his broom and started sweeping the floor like nothing happened.  And this is DF, so you can expect the glitches to be a bit more... extreme.  Like, hungry elves will consistently attempt to kill the closest humanoid and butcher them.  Whatever it is, should be fun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 12:41:07 am »

i want all my villains to be like this

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »

Quote from: Dev items
Succession and succession struggles

The king dies, and two of his sons both want the throne. You've mostly been killing night creatures so far, and you've built up a reputation for getting the job done. Suddenly, you're an asset to both sides! But which one do you choose? Who do you think will make the better king? The older brother is weaker as a political figure, but he's well loved by the people. The younger brother wants to drive the kingdom into being an economic powerhouse, but he's off-putting to most people -- except for a couple of the bigger mayors in the kingdom who want to be part of a much stronger nation. The civil war is going to be bloody, and the choices you make are going to have an impact on the history of the world for the next hundred years!

Or you die of typhus in a ditch.

What about killing them both and becoming King yourself?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 05:36:27 pm »

Looks like they'll be bullies.
I hope they tie you to minecart tracks in future releases.

I can see it now:

*stopped bandits from tying adventurers to tracks lacking push routes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!