Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What Do You Think About Tilesets?  (Read 10193 times)

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
What Do You Think About Tilesets?
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:37:29 am »

Personally, I don't like them and think they make the game even harder to understand, so I stick with regular ASCII. What's your opinion?
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Think About Tilesets?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:04:49 am »

Phoebus is easy to understand an mkes the game look a lot nicer.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:06:37 am »

I use Jolly Bastion to make things look happier. I agree with some tilesets making things harder to understand, but what Jolly Bastion does is that it doesn't really change the symbols, just the colours. I like it because it makes mass genocide look so happy.

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:29:09 am »

Wow, you're right, it does look nice. I might install it. Another reason I don't like tilesets is because things like Phoebus make things like description text look really weird.
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:38:34 am »

I don't use any because I really don't like the look of them. The ASCII looks a lot better to me...

However seeing that Jolly Bastion set, just wow! Looks really nice (because it is basically happy ASCII)!
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 11:03:43 am »

Tilesets are like training wheels. I used Mayday's before I eventually memorized the ASCII. I dislike them because, well, they make the game a bit more confusing to me.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 11:08:43 am »

I don't mind the look of some tilesets, but I prefer the default look because it's the universal standard.  Armok only knows what each tile of an unfamiliar tileset is supposed to represent.  Everyone should be able to understand a screenshot in the default look, either from memory, or by looking up the symbols DF uses.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:10:26 pm »

Im using the Mayday Tileset.... it was just the first thing i saw from DF, as i got the files passed from a friend who was setting up everything for me. So i never looked at the "default" (i guess thats ASCII?) closely, as it instantly turned me of.... Graphics do matter :D

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 01:42:05 pm »

I use the ASCII, I just find it easier to understand that I'm looking at a brown d than a random blob of pixels that I have to squint my eyes up at to realize its a dog and not a horse. I do run stonesense, though. Just cause it lets me see multiple levels at once.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 02:01:03 pm »

I use Ironhand is graphics set, it looks nice enough for me. Grass is green all around, not just random green points. Also, a square is a square. The fact that in ASCII everything is 'stretched' upwards is what turns me off about using it.
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 02:05:21 pm »

I use a custom 16x16 tileset, so... yeah ^^;  But mine's just a dolled-up version of the basic curses set. As for the more graphical tilesets (i.e. commas and periods replaced by grass), I don't personally use them or like them (WHY IS MY PUMP MADE OF BARRELS AND DINNER TRAYS WHY), but if someone else does then that's their business. It's only really a problem for me when they post a screenshot and I can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at, and even then, most of the commonly-used graphical tilesets are easy enough for me to parse. I actually like creature graphics, though I don't use them (too proud to use someone else's and too lazy to make my own).

EDIT: Potential flame bait removed.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 02:10:50 pm »

I have a handcrafted tileset made from gluing together Phoebus with the alphabet from Gold Plated (and using a utility to delete the accented letters from the alphabets).

The letters are huge and easy to read, and all the in-game text looks more fly than week-old meat.  The only real problem is that I couldn't figure out how to make backgrounds transparent but it's not all that noticeable. Also, some of the trees are sideways tables, which I really need to fix.
I also switched around some of the tiles in the material definitions- so now all flux looks like the same thing, military ores look the same, 'luxury' ores (like gold and aluminum) look the same, crapstone (value:1) looks the same, etc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 02:14:56 pm »

I use Ironhand is graphics set, it looks nice enough for me. Grass is green all around, not just random green points. Also, a square is a square. The fact that in ASCII everything is 'stretched' upwards is what turns me off about using it.

There's a vanilla square ASCII tileset, you know :P

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 03:00:57 pm »

Phoebus is easy to understand an mkes the game look a lot nicer.

Seconded.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 03:57:43 pm »

I play with and without Titlesets, depending on my mood.
While ASCII looks alot cleaner, the sets like Phoebus or Ironhand simply look nicer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4