Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcano without cliffs?  (Read 773 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Volcano without cliffs?
« on: June 03, 2012, 02:03:28 am »

Is there any way to gen a world with a volcano without those insane cliffs all around it? I tried genning a world with almost no elevation variance but it still gave me the sheer cliffs around volcanoes. I don't mind a few cliffs, just don't want them so extreme.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano without cliffs?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:39:21 am »

I don't think there's a way to avoid it.  Not all volcanos have the sheer, unclimbable cliffs -- I typically only see those when the volcano is surrounded by otherwise flat terrain.  Most of the ones I come by are sitting in what is basically a gigantic hill.  :/   I can feel your pain, though, because one of the first things I do when I get set up is "terraform" the sides of the volcano all the way down. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:42:50 am »

I believe some people have some uploaded world seeds that generate flat volcanoes, but you would need to go take a look in one of the world cookbook threads and see if they have any for the current version or not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:03:50 am »

if you look for volcano's that are off center on the local map,  that is where i tend to find the flat Volcanos
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:40:20 am »

I believe some people have some uploaded world seeds that generate flat volcanoes, but you would need to go take a look in one of the world cookbook threads and see if they have any for the current version or not.

The last one I remember seeing was in the 31.x cookbook.  I've been dumping several maps in the current cookbook and I don't remember seeing any flat volcanoes.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:51:05 am »

Shield volcanoes? Now that's something i wanna see.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 05:40:38 pm »

I genned a mostly flat volcano on accident in the current version. I already have a fortress on the site but is there a way to pull my exact world seed out and post it?

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:16:45 am »

I have had a volcano embark on a flat areas with a stream nearby and the magma pool itself which has one Z-level down from the surrounding, rather flat landscape in v34.07

Suffice to say !fun! very shortly ensued after I made a mistake when I tried building a surface construction for making obsidian

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:19:22 am »

I spent a good portion of time trying to do just that. Unfortunately, nothing I tried seemed to work, so I just settled for a regular volcano and cut it down to size.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy