Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves cross-trained as hammerdwarves  (Read 773 times)

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves cross-trained as hammerdwarves
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:20:24 am »

If I were to train soldiers to have both crossbow and hammer skill, how practical or helpful would it be? (Concerning marksdwarves using crossbows as melee weapons, of course.) Has anyone tried this?
I am unsure whether it would be worth the time - but then again, the thought of an uber squad, adept at melee and range...

To implement the idea, I would think I would train hammerdwarves up from competent level, and then train archer from nothing. Or would the other way be better?

(As an aside, I also just thought about regular melee dwarves getting training as wrestlers/strikers/kickers/biters.)

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves cross-trained as hammerdwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:55:19 am »

Cross training Marksdwarves with the Hammer skills is quite common. Crossbows don't make for very good melee weapons, but it'll help your Marksdwarves defend themselves if they run out of bolts and are forced into a melee confrontation.

Then again my Marksdwarves never leave their tower, which I've filled to the brim with war hounds and ammo stockpiles. I've never felt the need to do any cross training because anything that lays siege on my fort never makes it passed the traps and rabid hounds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:00:50 am »

Wrestling is useful to any fighting dwarf. They're just as likely to break joints and punch out teeth as sever limbs with an axe or stove in a head with a hammer.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:14:49 am »

I plan to do it the other way around and train hammerdwarves with crossbows. Not because I actually want them to shoot with the things but because I tend to wait a bit with metalsmithing and crossbows make good training hammers.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:04:29 am »

Giving marksdwarves melee training will boost armor user, shield user and dodge to help them survive volleys from elite bowgoblins.