Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 4951 times)

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What would you do?
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:13:05 pm »

Found an incredible embark site. Has a river, volcano and best of all...a kobold marble cave complex that goes all the way from the surface down to the 1st cavern level. There's about 40 or so kobolds..women, children, worker's, thieves etc. Everyone is friendly at the moment.

So my question to everyone is what would you do with the kobolds? Just slaughter them? Capture them? Leave them alone? Use them for scientific purposes? Tell me what you would do.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:29:27 pm »

Kobold preserve. Wall them in.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:55:09 pm »

Pleasant neighbors, until any... Unpleasantries could arise between my neighbors and I... Then, I would do as necessary for my dwarves.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:10:02 am »

Slaughter them. If they arent mine, they die.

I tend to leave them until a thief arrives, then a loyalty cascade among there ranks, picking sides.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:15:23 am »

Move in with them. Make friends.

Do them some mutual favors. When they offer you some quick shelter from the elements and the sun, you use your superior mining powers to help them... You know, expand their tunnels a bit for them, just wide enough for a wagon to get through. "Trade" them some of their Kobold Bulbs for your mushroom-alcohol. Build your home underneath theirs. Your Dwarves will make friendly conversation with them on their way to gather berries and harvest wood. You will be the best and most trusting of friends.

And then, when the invaders inevitably come, they will find that the Kobolds' cave is not only poorly-defended but wide open, whereas the passage to get down to the Dwarves' Mountainhome from there is suspiciously well-protected.

I would weaponize the Kutebolds, and laugh maniacally as they are slaughtered, unwittingly dying for me.

Remember you can't spell slaughter without laughter, and have some FUN with the Kobolds.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:22:07 am »

Move in with them. Make friends.

Do them some mutual favors. When they offer you some quick shelter from the elements and the sun, you use your superior mining powers to help them... You know, expand their tunnels a bit for them, just wide enough for a wagon to get through. "Trade" them some of their Kobold Bulbs for your mushroom-alcohol. Build your home underneath theirs. Your Dwarves will make friendly conversation with them on their way to gather berries and harvest wood. You will be the best and most trusting of friends.

And then, when the invaders inevitably come, they will find that the Kobolds' cave is not only poorly-defended but wide open, whereas the passage to get down to the Dwarves' Mountainhome from there is suspiciously well-protected.

I would weaponize the Kutebolds, and laugh maniacally as they are slaughtered, unwittingly dying for me.

Remember you can't spell slaughter without laughter, and have some FUN with the Kobolds.

Until a thief comes, then every single one of them zerg rush you.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:13 am »

So I'm guessing just kill them ASAP.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 03:44:31 am »

Cause a huge cave in to take out the entire complex in one go.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:58:01 am »

I'd probably wall them away or build around them, depending on how extensive their area is.  Thieves are mainly just a nuisance, but no sense inviting them.  And if their home extends all the way down into the caverns, I don't want my home open to that.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:34:38 pm »

Mod kobolds to be tameable. Capture the kobolds, by surrounding them with cage traps and aiming a cavein at somewhere where they aren't (or waiting for a thief). Tame the kobolds. Smile.

Or, wait until Runesmith updates, then just make them members of my fortress.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 12:55:22 pm »

Kill them and use their heads and bones for decoration.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 12:57:55 pm »

Find the smallest perimeter of a continuous vertical box that surrounds every zlevel of the kobold cave, leaving at least one layer of wall.  Ramp-carve the entire rest of the map, one layer at a time, from the surface all the way down to cavern 1, leaving a 40 z tall kobold skyscraper.  Whether or not to subsequently cork the bottom and fill it with magma is your decision.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 01:06:46 pm »

Set up a plethora of cage traps, with the intent of eventually keeping them all safe within the confines of my animal stockpile.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 01:11:08 pm »

Hmm interesting posts, I know ill probably keep some for a zoo or something. Plus they are modded to not eat or drink because I wasn't sure of Toady fixed them dying in world Gen.

Maybe I should just use them to train my militia with considering the first ambush they are going to turn hostile.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 02:22:47 pm »

Wall them in and try to catch them in cages (webs if you can since they are squishy little buggers) to prevent them from lowering your fps with their pathfinding.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist
Pages: [1] 2 3