Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get to candy surrounded by magma.  (Read 802 times)

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
How to get to candy surrounded by magma.
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:35:47 pm »

Ok so I'm digging a bit too deep and I found plenty of candy to be had, but unfortunately I ran out of candy to dig and the only ore left is completely submerged in lava. Lava is above it, lava is beside it on all sides. How the heck to I get to it?

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get to candy surrounded by magma.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »

Pour water as needed
Mine obsidian (carefully)
Mine the candy
???
Profit

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:43:31 pm »

How to do you pour water again?

I guess I would start at the top and dig a channel about the lava? How to I get the water into the hole?

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:14 pm »

That's where dwarf architecture/engineering comes in. Be creative. Heck, you can pour water with buckets for all I care. Do what you feel needs to be done.

Brotip: If you're gonna channel a river or something onto the magma sea, make sure you have floodgates set up so you don't flood your fort or something.

Edit: Just found this in the wiki: Note that magma located above semi-molten rock will be listed as a Magma Flow and cannot be cooled into Obsidian.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:55:34 pm by Yovatsap »

nappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:14:36 pm »

wait!.. what? candy?? wth is candy? never heard of a rock by that name.

nappy-curious

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 08:18:28 pm »

Its actually the opposite of rare if you dig deep. Nevertheless, praise the miners if they find it.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:29:59 pm »

wait!.. what? candy?? wth is candy? never heard of a rock by that name.

nappy-curious

Bluemetal.

Demon's wall.

THE ONLY THING KEEPING HFS FROM COMING UP AND EATING YOU.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:28:32 pm »

That's where dwarf architecture/engineering comes in. Be creative. Heck, you can pour water with buckets for all I care. Do what you feel needs to be done.
If you use buckets, you have to make the pond zone on the level above the level above the magma, so there's the pond, a whole level of open space, then the magma. Otherwise, no obsidian forms; the magma tile simply empties, without anything in it, and magma then promptly rushes in from around to refill the place.

Edit: Just found this in the wiki: Note that magma located above semi-molten rock will be listed as a Magma Flow and cannot be cooled into Obsidian.
This is true, so for the last z-level of the magma sea (possibly more, depending on the layout of the magma flow), you'll have to use pumps. A solid wall of pumps can draw fluid out of a tile faster than it can flow in as long as the pumps have someplace to pump the fluid to, so several such solid walls can actually make a hole in an ocean. This is known as the Moses Effect. By pumping an area dry of magma, you can then mine the sweet candy, construct walls on the magma flows (magma flows without magma on them are walkable safely), or generally do whatever you want with the place.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:51:51 pm »

Bluemetal.

Demon's wall.

THE ONLY THING KEEPING HFS FROM COMING UP AND EATING YOU.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally if I was going to spoiler one of those names I would rather spoiler "Demon's wall". I mean "raw adamantine" is literally in the stone economic list, and adamantine shows up in the stockpile lists, so it isn't really a spoiler to know it's name. Now "Demon's wall" on the other hand, points largely towards it's purpose and what happens if you dig too much of it. Personally I never really got where the whole "candy" thing popped up anyways. It's not the name of the metal that is the spoiler after all, it's what happens if you mine too much of it. "Clowns" I can understand, since the name itself is a spoiler, but personally I try to just say adamantine instead of candy since it's less confusing and isn't even a spoiler.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.