Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Townseed  (Read 13694 times)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Townseed
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 06:17:17 am »

Game seems to lag horribly every few seconds for more time than it actually runs for me. Not sure what to think of the game itself yet. ???

Prettyful animations though.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 07:41:04 am »

I noticed it lagging for me if you were on the edge of an area. Move a little in any direction and it should fix iself.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:30 pm »

You're just letting one thing blind you to every other feature

Well they are already asking us to pay money. I think being frugal with every single feature is called for.

Not really, you can download the latest version for free. Preordering currently nets you no bonus I could easily find, so I assume that right now it's just up so that people who really want to support the game can do so.

Also, what Girlinhat is saying. Chill up guys, it's version .08. There are a lot of things that seem totally obvious to the players that need to be added, but in this early of a phase he is not and should not be worrying about making everything pretty, user-friendly, or even easily comprehensible. He's developing the core gameplay, and the fluff will come in time.

I do think it's a mistake to start your support drive this early, though, because this is exactly what happens- people find the very early alpha, get put off by how rough it is, and have their interest killed before the game is even really playable.

It is because when you put an alpha out there and you call it "The latest version" you sort of are asking for people to judge for themselves.

You want to sort of give them something more, to entice them, make them fill out those gaps in the game themselves.

It REALLY doesn't help when an Alpha includes problems within itself.

"in this early of a phase he is not and should not be worrying about making everything pretty, user-friendly, or even easily comprehensible"

When you are enticing people... you should have something a bit more then the most boring part of Harvest Moon. Even if you have to cheat.

Remember that buying a game before it is released is a gamble. If Townseed did anything wrong it was not selling the audiance on the game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 04:12:42 pm »

Then "alpha" is a bad term.  If it were labeled "early development weekly build" would you feel less butthurt?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 04:14:19 pm »

Then "alpha" is a bad term.  If it were labeled "early development weekly build" would you feel less butthurt?

No... I don't care about the game, I don't feel injured or let down in anyway.

All I am saying is that the game as it stands even with everything written... Doesn't sell itself. At least very well.

Which is all I am saying. Why are you butthurt from what I said? Would you feel less butthurt if the game was better? I mean we live in the age where a trailer that reveals absolutely nothing about the game is considered just advertisement and where games like Deadisland get away with misleading trailers that hint at a larger metaplot that doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:17:11 pm by Neonivek »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »

Trailers mean nothing here.  What matters here is that it's version number .08 alpha and people are laying some massive criticism on the game because there's not much to it and it's not very balanced.  This is so incredibly early in development that it's a stretch to call it a tech demo.  The guy is just putting out what he's doing and explaining what he's changed since the last time, and we're treating this like some sort of Minecraft beta where we expect it to be a full game that's just being tweaked.  It's not.  "In-Development" doesn't mean "a cool game that's almost done" like a lot of people seem to think.

Thinking about it a bit yesterday, I think a big problem people are having is the graphics.  This has nice graphics.  I mean, let's be honest, it's no EVE or Skyrim, but for its intended display it has very good graphics and mostly fleshed out animations and variables like hair styles and clothing options.  That's usually something done last, as most games focus on building core content and gameplay and then make it look pretty.  This is going backwards, the developer is a professional animator/artist and is doing what he knows first, and making it look nice.  When people see a game that looks nice they assume that means it's already done all the core gameplay and bugfixing and the creator is finishing up with the graphics.  If this had stick-figure icons and no animations, I somehow think people would be more lenient, because then it wouldn't look as complete as it does.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 04:42:46 pm »

I think a big problem people are having is the graphics

I think it is more the art dirrection.

"we're treating this like some sort of Minecraft beta "

I'm not. At least no more then you are unjustly hyping the game.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:11:10 pm by Neonivek »

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 07:42:31 am »

I can definitely see people being turned off by releasing an incomplete alpha, but I can also definitely see people being turned on by it. As is evident in this here thread.

I kind of liked it, even if I'd still prefer URW's simmyness to this more cartoony game. Speaking of which, there is another game out there somewhere that takes things in a similar direction, but it took place in Canada during the early days of colonization I believe.

Anyways, Townseed made me dig out my 360 pad which I haven't touched since GTA IV. So that's a good thing. :)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 09:56:50 am »

I really liked the feel the game has, the animations are great, the characters are nicely done, but the environment not so much.

i hope it does well, but the fact it is almost a year in development and still so immature worries me. if he will show a substantial progress in the coming weeks, i might back it up with a few dineros.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:59 pm »

I really liked the feel the game has, the animations are great, the characters are nicely done, but the environment not so much.

i hope it does well, but the fact it is almost a year in development and still so immature worries me. if he will show a substantial progress in the coming weeks, i might back it up with a few dineros.

Never a fan of games that MAKE you bulky.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 06:32:13 am »

We get it, Neon, it doesn't appeal to you. Now that your opinion is known, let it be. Noone needs to hear you bitch about everything all the time. It's just an embryo of a game game that needs polish work. Stop being so negative.

I hold judgement on this till it's an actual game, same way I don't call unfinished paintings good or bad.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2012, 08:25:46 am »

We get it, Neon, it doesn't appeal to you. Now that your opinion is known, let it be. Noone needs to hear you bitch about everything all the time. It's just an embryo of a game game that needs polish work. Stop being so negative.

You entirely misinterpret what I said in this entire thread.

We get it, you don't want to actually read what I said.

If I am going to get shut down now... So I guess what I will do is write a negative critique of everything we know of the game. I mean the ONLY bad thing I said about the GAME was that I hate being forced to play bulky characters and that building many fences was tedius... But nope, people want to see me go full out and outright insult this game.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:44:06 am by Neonivek »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:31 am »

But nope, people want to see me go full out and outright insult this game.

Um... That's not the jist I got from his post. I think he kinda wanted to see the opposite. *Shrugs*

You are the master of your own reputation. So go ahead. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 08:50:06 am »

But nope, people want to see me go full out and outright insult this game.

Um... That's not the jist I got from his post. I think he kinda wanted to see the opposite. *Shrugs*

You are the master of your own reputation. So go ahead. :)

You sure that isn't what he said? It seems soo much like it. Afterall

"We get it": He speaks for everyone
"It doesn't appeal to you": He speaks for me

Done.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 09:24:03 am »

not relevant to the game but relevant to this discourse. I think misunderstandings of point of view might usually stem from modes of language and choice of words, rather than actual meaning.

I am a community organizer by trade and teach classes in permaculture. It is a bit controversial topic sometimes and we get into some tense situations. We use a modality of communication that involves the ideas of "possibilities" and "requests" rather than "absolutes" and "demands".

It is extremely effective. I really mean it. I have been in public speaking situations where someone has asked a very hard question meant to put e on the spot and provoke argument. Thats hard to deal with when you are in front of a group. I no longer fear these situations.

check this out: http://www.nwcompass.org/compassionate_communication.html

try to get past the name and look instead at the meat of the idea.

I find it amazing that sometimes just by changing one or two words in a sentence, while leaving the sentence otherwise the same, changes completely how it is received.

Sorry for the totally off-topic but I really like this community and thought maybe a little does of compassionate communication might be helpful for the long haul.

MORE READING:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolent_Communication
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:29:22 am by ductape »
I got nothing
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5