Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Townseed  (Read 13695 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Townseed
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 01:01:45 pm »

- Horrific interface (hold F one second too long on the palisade and it'll get immediatly destroyed? Are you kidding me?);
- P2P;
- Obviously console-oriented interface (in a fucking survival game);
- Lack of any explanation whatsoever what you're supposed to do;
Yeah, fuck this.
You do realize you're on the Dwarf Fortress forum? And that this "game" is a pre-alpha?

Holding a key too long and undoing everything you just did is not dwarfy.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 01:04:16 pm »

In DF you can fuck around pressing random buttons and something will happen. The hotkey menu has all the necessary things right next to the hotkeys themselves, marking all appropriate things. Here I simply have no idea at all what to do after buidling several intially availible buildings and running around the entire island.

Also, DF's interface is simply clunky. Everything you need to do is possible, but will take an appropriately long stretch of time and the interface doesn't spit into your eye just because it can. This 'game', however, actually requires timing - if you release F 0.5 seconds too soon, the building evaporates. If you hold it 0.5 seconds too long, it... evaporates too, this time taking your building materials with it. There is no fucking excuse for this sort of shitty design. If the developer actually released a game, even an alpha, with such sort of insane oversight, he deserves to have all his programming tools taken away and be forever bound to playing Superman 64.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »

All of your gripes seem to stem from being version .08 so let's just settle down until things get more actually built.

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 01:36:46 pm »

All of your gripes seem to stem from being version .08 so let's just settle down until things get more actually built.

exactly so much will be added over time and the progress he has already achieved is quite surprising for a one man army

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 01:43:46 pm »

Interesting tech demo, I'll try it when it has a bit more game so I don't ruin it for myself.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »

You have to hold a key for X seconds to build something. Would it kill the game to duplicate the code and make it X seconds to unbuild something?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 02:13:51 pm »

Better would be that, once you finish building it, you have to release and re-press the button in order to deconstruct it.
Eh?
Eh!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 02:16:46 pm »

Wait, we're up to .08? Mine says .04.

For me, holding F for too long while building just makes my palisade shake a bit when I hit it. I have to hold "R" to break things.

The only real bug I found is that you can use "R" to destroy placed blueprints. It leaves the green blueprint outline on the ground, but attempting to build it with "F" gives a "Not enough materials" message. There's no way to remove it afterwards.

Also, I get lag when there's too much animated grass/trees/water on the screen.

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 02:31:46 pm »

Wait, we're up to .08? Mine says .04.

For me, holding F for too long while building just makes my palisade shake a bit when I hit it. I have to hold "R" to break things.

The only real bug I found is that you can use "R" to destroy placed blueprints. It leaves the green blueprint outline on the ground, but attempting to build it with "F" gives a "Not enough materials" message. There's no way to remove it afterwards.

Also, I get lag when there's too much animated grass/trees/water on the screen.

I think that is what it is suppose to do

He says it is a error and will be corrected in the next update

Yes updates come every 1-2 weeks I started playing around April 1st and it was .02 back then alot has happened since and more to come

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 03:10:21 pm »

Either way Townseed's alpha doesn't leave much for me to behold. I can't even project better gameplay into it without completely inventing it.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 03:15:43 pm »

tried the .08 version, few issues.

First of all, the controls are clunky. Theres really no reason not to make use of mouse control in this game, for dwarf fortress it makes sense due to the tile based movement, passage of time, actions, etc, but in a free moving PC game i really expect to see some mouse controls, especially in the menus. I mean, you can be too close to an object to work on it, thats the sort of action i'd love to have mouse control to work with. Eventually there will be combat i imagine, which makes it even more necessary.

Second, is that app based installer thing. Thats horrible, i've seen it used once before and it was for a tool for another game. They dropped it because it was annoying everyone.

Finally, i cant figure out how to save and esc annoyingly instantly closes the game. :(

Anyways, lots of potential here as the case usually is with these sort of games. Hope it goes somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:25:10 pm by Mattk50 »

Jaraden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 08:14:35 pm »

In DF you can fuck around pressing random buttons and something will happen. The hotkey menu has all the necessary things right next to the hotkeys themselves, marking all appropriate things. Here I simply have no idea at all what to do after buidling several intially availible buildings and running around the entire island.

Also, DF's interface is simply clunky. Everything you need to do is possible, but will take an appropriately long stretch of time and the interface doesn't spit into your eye just because it can. This 'game', however, actually requires timing - if you release F 0.5 seconds too soon, the building evaporates. If you hold it 0.5 seconds too long, it... evaporates too, this time taking your building materials with it. There is no fucking excuse for this sort of shitty design. If the developer actually released a game, even an alpha, with such sort of insane oversight, he deserves to have all his programming tools taken away and be forever bound to playing Superman 64.

Except that he's released this as a basic proof of concept, and as an example of the animations and features. He's barely even started. If this stuff stays on board by the time the game is released, *THEN* you have full fledged right to bitch and moan. But at the moment you're just being unjustly picky.

An Alpha will have these sorts of unfinished features and annoying discrepancies in general, besides, most of his experience has been as an animator, and his animations and attention to detail, have been quite good. You're just letting one thing blind you to every other feature.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 08:30:55 pm »

You're just letting one thing blind you to every other feature

Well they are already asking us to pay money. I think being frugal with every single feature is called for.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 09:24:02 pm »

Ok so this is what I am doing...

I open Blog, click the first link, download that.
Unzip it to my D:/ Drive as TS.
Open folder to the Publishtest.
There is 4 things, A Folder Called Application Files, A autorun.inf, Setup.exe, TownseedAlpha which is a ClickOnce Application Deployment Manifest.

Inside the Folder is another folder called TownseedAlpha_1_0_0_57 which contains another folder called Content, Game.ico.deploy, GameThumbnail.png.deploy, TownseedAlpha (ClickOnce), TownseedAlpha.exe.deploy, TownseedAlpha.exe.manifest

Folder Content contains a ton of Deploy Files. I assume the SFX and other things.

I return to the PublishTest folder, open the TownseedAlpha (ClickOnce). I has a Window pop up about the Publisher cannot be Verified. I click Install. When done it seems to create a new Icon in my Startmenu, looks like a Controller for the XBox or something. I open TownseedAlpha (ClickOnce) again...

NOTHING...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 12:29:26 am »

You're just letting one thing blind you to every other feature

Well they are already asking us to pay money. I think being frugal with every single feature is called for.

Not really, you can download the latest version for free. Preordering currently nets you no bonus I could easily find, so I assume that right now it's just up so that people who really want to support the game can do so.

Also, what Girlinhat is saying. Chill up guys, it's version .08. There are a lot of things that seem totally obvious to the players that need to be added, but in this early of a phase he is not and should not be worrying about making everything pretty, user-friendly, or even easily comprehensible. He's developing the core gameplay, and the fluff will come in time.

I do think it's a mistake to start your support drive this early, though, because this is exactly what happens- people find the very early alpha, get put off by how rough it is, and have their interest killed before the game is even really playable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5