Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On the clothing of children  (Read 3718 times)

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the clothing of children
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:47:20 pm »

I'm starting to make my constructions out of children, they're so plentiful in my fortress....

But I've started having a problem(...but also a solution...) where the kids aren't clothing themselves, and so they tantrum, tantrum, tantrum, go mad, die.  Two birds with one stone, and all, but it's not my preferred means.  It distracts my hive.

How the heck can I get these kids to take a look at the clothes in my stockpile?  Or would there be some reason that my clothes stock isn't suitable?  Or aren't as 'there' as I think they are?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the clothing of children
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:50:18 pm »

Take a look at the pieces of clothing in the stockpile. Are they listed as owned by one or more dwarves already?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »

I'm not sure...
But, for example, I have 800 footwear items, spread across 235 dwarves or less.  I've got about 110 children of varied ages. 
In the stocks view, the red number is 2.  I'm not really sure how to interpret this.

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »

After going through my bins one by one, I'm seeing lots of x(clothes)x.  So I guess I interpret that to mean that the new clothes are getting snagged as soon as they're produced.  Does this also mean that dwarves wont take the x(clothes)x ?

And its looking like I'm gonna have to organize my storage, too...

*Edit - I just realized I put this in the wrong section.  Sorry  =(
Would like to get this moved, or perhaps just some insight in how to handle this continuing problem.  24-30 kids dead so far!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:59:24 pm by MOK »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:46:59 pm »

After going through my bins one by one, I'm seeing lots of x(clothes)x.  So I guess I interpret that to mean that the new clothes are getting snagged as soon as they're produced.  Does this also mean that dwarves wont take the x(clothes)x ?

And its looking like I'm gonna have to organize my storage, too...

*Edit - I just realized I put this in the wrong section.  Sorry  =(
Would like to get this moved, or perhaps just some insight in how to handle this continuing problem.  24-30 kids dead so far!

the x's indicate levels of wear. x to xx to xX to XX I think. From memory, dwarves wont claim worn cloths.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:39:14 am »

From memory, dwarves wont claim worn cloths.

I thought so too but after two children tantrumed (and one died) I checked once a child matured; if he clothe himself.

As long as the child had a shirt and a pair of pants I figured he wouldn't tantrum due to embarassment. and lo and behold he put on old, worn clothes. From some deceased dwarf probably.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 06:35:23 am »

The simplest solution is not to cure the cause (lack of clothes) but to treat the symptom (children tantrum). I suggest using "Dwarven Day Care", keeps them out of trouble and you can control your population by adding more dogs to give higher fatality rate but better quality of survivors.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 06:58:39 am »

The simplest solution is actually to give clothes their own stockpile.  Having them share one with any form of refuse (including bone/shells iirc) causes them to degrade.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 04:10:24 pm »

I'm not sure...
But, for example, I have 800 footwear items, spread across 235 dwarves or less.  I've got about 110 children of varied ages. 
In the stocks view, the red number is 2.  I'm not really sure how to interpret this.

This wouldn't be enough even assuming all these items are not damaged and not wrong size and not armor items assigned to uniform.
By default each dwarf wears 4 footwear items: 2x socks and 2x shoes/sandals. So you need at least 235x4 = 940 undamaged footwear items plus armor.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »

the x's indicate levels of wear. x to xx to xX to XX I think. From memory, dwarves wont claim worn cloths.

Wear goes from "x" to "X" to "XX".  Dwarves will claim the least worn clothes available, however they will get bad thoughts from wearing "X" or "XX" clothes.

Keep in mind that dwarves may claim multiple sets of clothing and, until the next version is released, armor (including boots) does not count as clothing.  This means that a single dwarf could have, for example, 5 pairs of footwear: boots (stored in their cabinet), new socks (equipped), worn socks (stored), new shoes (equipped), and worn shoes (stored).  Don't assume that 100 pieces of footwear will be enough for 50 dwarves; periodically check the wear level of clothing on random and/or unhappy dwarves and make sure you don't see any "X" or "XX" items and only a few "x" items.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 08:01:21 pm »

Hm.  I never ran into this problem before.  Am I alone in being shocked at the implications here?

Migrants come pretty quickly - with babies, and soon to have em if not - in non-small numbers.  I have a batch of births at the beginning of the season.  Migrants continue to come despite having passed 250 population before I can even build a military, as I'm busy treading water with the infrastructure.  Every one of my dwarves, children or no, need to have a new set of clothes made, since it sure as heck aint need-before-greed here...  8-10 items per dwarf.  2500 articles of clothing need to made by the player, and over time replaced.  That's 75-85 entries of maxed queues in the job manager.  Or 10 clothesmaker sweatshops held on repeat for... how long?

I don't get it.  How am I supposed to keep up with that on top of everything else?  And why have I never had to worry about this in the past?  ..Granted, last time I played was over a year ago...
Am I missing something here, or incorrectly attributing?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:05:41 pm by MOK »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 09:09:54 pm »

The very first and most important thing that I do to my init on downloading DF is to go and change the baby cap to [BABY_CHILD_CAP:20:30]. When you have a maximum limit of 20ish children in your fortress at any given time (plus migrants, but if you lower the pop cap a little and then make sure the liason manages to make it in and out of your fortress once you reach it so he can report the population and stop the migrants) it cures the majority of your clothing problems. Personally I survive just on the leftover clothing from goblin sieges in my fortresses, and that's with trading away or dumping maybe 50% of my worn clothes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 11:25:55 pm »

Most recent dev updates indicates another fix/improvement for handled child clothing thoughts.

MOK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 01:40:51 am »

Eh, I'm not sure a small update to their thoughts is going to be significant; even if they care a bit less, they're still naked.  I still need to make 2500 pieces of clothing for an unmodded DF game, and be able to store the duplicates long enough to pawn them off or use an item-destroying exploit.  5000+ articles of clothing, excluding armor!  Not even sure I've made that many blocks yet.

Changing the init would do the trick, I'm sure.  But I don't want to do that on this fort. 

How do others deal with this interaction?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:50:29 am by MOK »

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 02:05:27 am »

I make about 30 robes + 30 shoes per season and that covers most new naked-annoyed dwarves in it in 211 dwarf fort. Tantrums do happen sometimes, i dont mind as my fps could use some dwarf-killing.
You can delete all head-wear and hand-wear if you want less items on the map.
Pages: [1] 2