Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Malevolence - The INFINITE RPG!  (Read 10962 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Malevolence - The INFINITE RPG!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 04:23:26 pm »

Issue in Logic: Not randomly generated, but it is infinite... 

I think it's randomly generated, but with everyone getting the exact same seed.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 07:27:46 am »

Issue in Logic: Not randomly generated, but it is infinite... 

I think it's randomly generated, but with everyone getting the exact same seed.

That's it. Which is kind of a good idea as, as noted by the dev, it allows you to share your finds with other players, while never running out of virgin land to explore :) .

And I think there's no scripted regions at all, but there'd probably be easy to add/mod.

Seriously I can't understand the "uuuh yea okay-ish" comments while you obvisouly didn't even read all the post in this thread, let alone tried to get some infos from the game's website  :-\

edit: and once again i can't emphasize enough that it has to be seen not only for itself but as a stepping stone to future game. Next one would be infinite with fully free movement, and maybe what then, mount and blade style combat ?

guys guys guys the concept behind this game is huge. See how cataclysm, the survival horror roguelike with infinite map, spawned The Dead Linger, a zombie survival full-3d with planet sized map, as of now not nearly as fun it seems as cataclysm(but then the alpha has been out for a month or something), but well, a step in the right direction anyway.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:36:44 am by casserol »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 04:35:16 pm »

See how cataclysm, the survival horror roguelike with infinite map, spawned The Dead Linger

You're gonna have to show me how that's possible. I can't find anything referring to Cataclysm as the inspiration for TDL.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »

Well...It's kind of obvious. I mean inspired like in cataclysm being the first of its kind and TDL being...the second of that kind ? but with less science fiction-y stuff.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »

Well...It's kind of obvious. I mean inspired like in cataclysm being the first of its kind and TDL being...the second of that kind ? but with less science fiction-y stuff.

There were a few popular zombie RLs before Cataclysm (it's been argued that Cataclysm was directly spawned by a long lull in the development of Rogue Survivor). Whale has done an amazing job, but he did not create the zombie survival genre or even the zombie survival RL.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 01:19:11 pm »

We're aiming for a release date of December 21, 2012, and things are looking pretty good to hit that date
well nice

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 01:26:59 pm »

There were a few popular zombie RLs before Cataclysm (it's been argued that Cataclysm was directly spawned by a long lull in the development of Rogue Survivor). Whale has done an amazing job, but he did not create the zombie survival genre or even the zombie survival RL.

It's still to my knowledge the first with an infinite map ?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 02:24:16 pm »

It's still to my knowledge the first with an infinite map ?

That's not a one-of-a-kind-unique design decision.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 02:54:26 pm »

Minecraft was supposed to have an infinite map, but there's limitations on that kind of thing. So instean minecraft has a map that's large enough that you're highly unlikely to ever reach the edge in the course of ordinary play (since it takes many hours of travel to actually make it to the edge without cheating). I'm kind of sceptical if this is really going to be "infinite" any more than minecraft's maps are supposed infinite. I mean, you can make the worlds really, really, big, but if you're using procedural generation you're going to run into some big issues sooner or later.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 03:12:16 pm »

Minecraft was supposed to have an infinite map, but there's limitations on that kind of thing. So instean minecraft has a map that's large enough that you're highly unlikely to ever reach the edge in the course of ordinary play (since it takes many hours of travel to actually make it to the edge without cheating). I'm kind of sceptical if this is really going to be "infinite" any more than minecraft's maps are supposed infinite. I mean, you can make the worlds really, really, big, but if you're using procedural generation you're going to run into some big issues sooner or later.

And if it's not procedurally generated lands this will take longer than DF. Or be dull as a boiled egg. There's got to be some kind of limit to the amount of time these people will be putting into placing *rocks* and *trees* as opposed to working on the game.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »

But it IS random gen. Anyway.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 05:09:04 pm »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:11:20 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 06:23:50 pm »

THE MALEVOLENCE ENGINE FINDS NO FLAW

ah, wait, wrong game
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 07:48:19 am »

Minecraft takes not hours but over a month to reach world edge while running at max speed in a straight line. At some point all practical difference between very large and infinite vanishes.

If that is not enough it is fairly straightforward to use 128 bit integers for coordinates everywhere for about a million times size of our universe at 1 um precision. A good pseudo-random number generator would be needed to procedurely populate it without total repetitions.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:58 am »

But it IS random gen. Anyway.

Quote from: Run-Down point #5
World is NOT randomly generated, but it IS infinite, so you can share what you find with friends

You should read the KS.

Ah, ok, I understood the misunderstanding. True they're not helping here, it's a bit confusing, maybe that should be signaled to them. So you should read the devblog and stuff, as far as I get it, the world and all its cities, dungeons, forest, oceans and whatnot, is randomgenned, but only once ; the same seed will ship with each game (i think ?). Obiously they're not going to hand-craft an infinite map  :-\ cuz you know, it's,....infinite ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3