Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: DnD Eberron, Using Maptool  (Read 31018 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DnD Eberron, Using Maptool
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2012, 02:19:14 am »

I'm using Win. 7 home premium, and apparantly doing it on plain win. 7 is different.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2012, 02:23:12 am »

Oh. Sorry I can't be of more help, then. :-\
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2012, 02:27:23 am »

Yeah, Maptools is hard to get working at times. Annoys the bejeezus out of a lot of us in my experience, both GM and Player alike. Might want to look for something else you can play D&D online with.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2012, 02:31:20 am »

Yeah, Maptools is hard to get working at times. Annoys the bejeezus out of a lot of us in my experience, both GM and Player alike. Might want to look for something else you can play D&D online with.

Just as I was learning to make Maptool maps...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2012, 02:38:20 am »

Hmm, before you give up on MapTools you should wait and see if anyone else in this thread has more technical knowledge. You could also try asking in Life Advice if anyone knows how to get MapTools working.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2012, 03:23:03 am »

True, and if you do get it working, it's pretty cool, especially if you can make working macros.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2012, 03:46:10 am »

Urist, we transitioned to Maptools when members of my old D&D group went abroad, and it really is a great program. The trick to running a server is to make sure you're Port Forwarding on the port you're using for the Maptools server. If you do that, you don't need Hamachi, or anything like that. The trouble is, I'm terrible with networking/router stuff; you should try to find out how to do that on your router, or look up Maptool server setup info online.

If you do get it working, I'd recommend using Ventrillo or Skype for voice chat as well, so you can speak and hear players voices. It's more fun, saves time compared to typing, and you get to know your players better too!

Also, I made a pretty nice set of Macros that handle a lot of combat rolls for 3.5e D&D. Link here. The sample token includes example macros that are preconfigured, as well as generic ones that can be configured on your own. They're commented pretty heavily, so they should be easy enough to understand and edit, once you get the basics of Maptools down, and in my experience really speed up combat and skillchecks, and even include some reminders of situational modifiers for certain rolls. Maybe you'll find it useful.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2012, 04:17:18 am »

Okay, good point, what's everyones Skype?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2012, 05:31:54 am »

I don't have Skype, but I do have a mic! But if we are doing voice chat online, then I insist that we have it so that I don't wake people up too early in the morning, namely have the session at 7am for me at the earliest. If we have it earlier, then I won't be able to use a mic until then, since otherwise I wake people up. So can we all settle on a time first?

Also, note to the players: I'm having trouble choosing what type of priest I should be. I like the sound of melee, but we have those, and I definately want to test out my spellcasting anyway. Should I be either a spellcasting priest, using spells like FLAMESTRIKE for example or a buffing priest that casts persistant/extended buffs and goes into melee to basically smash some poor bastard through a wall with brute force?

Choices choices...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:39:56 am by Zako »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2012, 09:07:40 am »

I have neither Skype nor a mic. Hopefully that's not a dealbreaker here. :-\

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:55 am »

Also, note to the players: I'm having trouble choosing what type of priest I should be. I like the sound of melee, but we have those, and I definately want to test out my spellcasting anyway.
We already have a melee character and a buffing character, and we don't have much in the way of (non-buffing, not circuitous workaround) spellcasting, so...
Soaplent green is goblins!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2012, 10:02:24 am »

Serc: Warforged, Fighter
Dwarmin: Rogue, Kenku
Zako: Cleric, ?
EveryZig: Artificier, Kobold
Evergod41: Bard, Halfling

^That's our current party, Zako. My only suggestion is not to play a squishy char. Melee/Priest/Self Buffer sounds good to me.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2012, 10:20:12 am »

Serc: Warforged, Fighter
Dwarmin: Rogue, Kenku
Zako: Cleric, ?
EveryZig: Artificier, Kobold
Evergod41: Bard, Halfling

^That's our current party, Zako. My only suggestion is not to play a squishy char. Melee/Priest/Self Buffer sounds good to me.

But everyone knows the single best base class in the game is completly squishy :P

((There is even a certain obscure feat which allows elfs to use their intelligence modifier instead of CON for calculating hitpoints, yes, you read that right))

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2012, 10:29:07 am »

That would make more sense as Will, not Intelligence, because you could then will yourself to be stronger instead of actually being stronger. Simply being smart would help in taking an ax to the face...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2012, 10:41:28 am »

I know of a feat like that, Evergod. My elf in another campaign actually has it (helps a lot when your CON is like +1 and your WIS is +5). I believe it's in the Netbook, here it is:

Determined Soul: You may add the higher value of either your Constitution bonus or Wisdom bonus to each Hit Die when determining your hitpoints. If one of the ability scores gets a higher modifier than the one currently used for calculating your hitpoints, recalculate your hitpoints.

I think it has Iron Will as a pre-req.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12