Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tattered clothing and clothing industry  (Read 1191 times)

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
Tattered clothing and clothing industry
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:51:33 pm »

I thought I would be smart and create three stockpiles for feet, leggings, and armor so I could eye when my dwarfs are running low on clothes but apparently dwarfs will put unwanted tattered clothing back into the stockpiles.

Is there anyway to separate the stockpiles into good and bad clothes? If not, how does everyone keep track of good versus bad clothes in their clothing industry.

Do you simply produce enough clothes constantly to keep up with it and not pay attention to how many clothes are needed or left?

I have been using the manager to make 20 of socks, trousers, and dresses to keep everyone happy but it doesn't seem to keep up with all 233 dwarfs and I really want a way to keep track of clothing somehow or it will drive me insane just guessing.

I guess I could manually dump the old clothing but that would be too tedious I believe.

One thought that just occurred to me was to put clothes next to the trade depot and sell the tattered clothes, but that still doesn't give me a good way to tell how many clothes are left.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tattered clothing and clothing industry
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »

Sort by quality.
I set up 2 stockpiles, one that accepts all but standard quality and one that will only accept standard.
Worn clothes will usually end up in the worse quality stockpile and once your clothiers are good enough that they'll produce quality better than 'standard', you'll have worn and new seperated for the most part.
(a>b) ? false : true

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: Tattered clothing and clothing industry
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:06:47 pm »

I thought I would be smart and create three stockpiles for feet, leggings, and armor so I could eye when my dwarfs are running low on clothes but apparently dwarfs will put unwanted tattered clothing back into the stockpiles.

Still using 34.07, but from what I hear, you can link those three feet, leggings, and armor stockpiles you made to only accept items directly from your clothier / leatherworker shops (and set those shops to ONLY send items to those stockpiles).  Then put a clothing stockpile that accepts anything next to your depot.  Now all the new, fresh clothes go in those 3 stockpiles and you can gauge how much extra you have, and anything that becomes worn / picked up from goblins etc. will go into the 'anything' clothing pile, to trade away (or atomsmash).

Supposedly you can also set that 'anything' clothing stockpile as a refuse stockpile (or vice versa), and then the worn clothes that end up there will rot away faster.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:12:09 pm by Xen0n »