Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving gobbies between cages.  (Read 573 times)

Starkad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Moving gobbies between cages.
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »

Hello.
I ran into a small problem with my bloodfeastinghallo'death (or my arena where my soldiers can butcher unarmed elves gobbies).
I have a large number of goblings captured and they are now placed in my animal stockpile. Now I want to move them to the cages I have in my arena (cages, which are linked to levers so they can be opened). Unfortunately every time I try to assign one of them to the cage they seem to run away from my dwarf who wants to move it, only to be captured again and placed in the animal stockpile again.
I know I could just build the cage in the arena with the goblin in it, but then I have to link it to the lever everytime I put in a new cage with a goblin... hence why i just want to move it to an already empty cage, which is linked.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Moving gobbies between cages.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:13:13 pm »

If your goblins are thieves then there isn't much you can do about the problem. If they are normal invaders though, then as long as you only try to move them one at a time they shouldn't ever escape.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:30:44 pm »

in 34.0x somewhere creatures always wen to chain willingly
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 05:35:39 pm »

I've never had problems moving creatures, including thieves. I recall once having one dragged from a constructed cage to a pit, through half my fort, with nothing happening. Not sure why people still say they escape.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:11:34 pm »

I know I could just build the cage in the arena with the goblin in it, but then I have to link it to the lever everytime I put in a new cage with a goblin... hence why i just want to move it to an already empty cage, which is linked.

You'll have to do that anyway.  When you pull a lever linked to a cage, the cage deconstructs as it releases the contents.  You have to build a new cage for each lever pull anyway, so you might as well build the cage with the goblin in it in the first place.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.