Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Has Dwarf Fortress changed you or your life?  (Read 3811 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Has Dwarf Fortress changed you or your life?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 11:04:32 am »

Dwarf Fortress has prevented me from ever being able see alphabet the same way again.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 04:01:47 pm »

Dwarf Fortress has prevented me from ever being able see alphabet the same way again.

This also.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 02:24:10 am »

It redefined gaming for me. Now most games seem so shallow and samey.
Now all games can be are:

RPG (MMO or not)
FPS
RTS
Dwarf Fortress
TBS

Also as someone going through a programming course with the intent to develop games, well it was pretty much the game that convinced me to get into game development. Its pretty much "what games are now, and what gaming could be (which includes DF)" and I want to try to make games that are what they could be.

Because of DF.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »

I'm currently getting a major in geology. Passed a year so far with flying colors.

I have a vague idea of the density of everything now for some reason...

And Google thinks I'm the world's leading authority on the density of Saguaro wood now (430 kg/m3, never forget!) just because I was that bored.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 12:31:54 pm »

It has... certainly changed my expectations, ?(and i haven't even lost my first fort yet! :L) and made me look in awe and cringe at the amount of time this project as taken. Here's too many more like it (raises glass)!
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »

Yeti
elf
sponge

ibex
thrip

harpy
antman
serpentman

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 03:41:22 am »

I think DF has mostly turned me off of all other games.
I imagine that nothing short of live role-play or real life can match DF for me.
I'm on the verge of looking for a D&D group. lol

Edit: Tried out D&D with friends. Conan universe. It was a lot of fun.
Played Betrayal in the House on the Hill game with my family. That was fun too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:25:42 pm by Meansdarling »

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 03:10:56 am »

Before DF I thought I was born into the wrong century. Now I know I was born into the wrong world. It is very therapeutic, though. Before DF I always contemplated suicide/homicide whenever life seemed too troublesome, now I just go into my fortress and arrange for some unfortunate accidents to happen.

Thorik, I do not agree. I tried rereading The Lord of the Rings some time ago, but I got bored stuck in Dark Wood. Tolkien is way too fond of elves to let his fantasy world qualify as good. Try out Terry Patchett's Disc World series instead (the books, not the games). There you will meet genuine dwarfs with genuine dwarven interests (like hoarding gold, hoarding gold and hoarding gold). I am told by the literary authorities that Disc World isn't real literature, but if The Lord of the Rings is real literature, then there are too many elaborate descriptions of trees in real literature.

DF: where imagination beats animation

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 04:20:34 am »

there are too many elaborate descriptions of trees in real literature.

HERESY! Since the bible, trees have been an integrated part of western litterature!

If you want to understand the Dwarves of LoTR, read The Hobbit. Tolkien wrote LoTR to have some excuse for two elven languages he invented.

Also, I now have a surefire way of alienating even the most hardcore gamers I call my friends.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 05:15:24 am »

HERESY! Since the bible, trees have been an integrated part of western litterature!

I once was a tree-hugger myself. But then I got acquainted with DF and saw the light. Trees are for BEDS, BINS AND BARRELS ONLY; items that are indispensable for hoarding vast amounts of riches creating a healthy dwarven economy.

Anyone who thinks otherwise deserves to get his trade goods confiscated.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 05:18:29 am »

A tree hugger? No, good sir, I completely support the ironic death sentence of the trees. We chop them down, grind them into sawdust, make them into paper, and describe them upon the very same. What could be crueller?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 06:51:53 am »

A tree hugger? No, good sir, I completely support the ironic death sentence of the trees. We chop them down, grind them into sawdust, make them into paper, and describe them upon the very same. What could be crueller?

Yes, that sounds really interesting. How do I do that? I saw books mentioned in my stock list, but I don't know how to make them. As soon as I find out, I will write a book about trees, I already have the working title: "You can never have too many Bins - essays on the hoarding industry". I expect it to be a bestseller in my fort.

;D

Many, many years ago I read Tolkien several times, including the Hobbit and the Silmarrilon, it was a very big influence on a lot of people back then, including me. I believe the modern environmental movement got a lot of it's initial fuel from the descriptions of nature found in Tolkien's work.

Pratchett's work is silly and funny, and that is why I like it. It should not be compared to the serious and learned Tolkien, they are a world apart. But Thoriks comment was a bit absolutistic about Tolkien's being the only good fantasy world, so the troll in me took the opportunity to recommend Disc World as an alternative. Especially because imo the behavior of the DF dwarves correlate a lot better with the behavior of Pratchetts dwarves than with that of Tolkien's. If you haven't read Pratchett, try one. If you like it there is some 25 books in the series. If you don't like it, well, expect to get your trade goods confiscated.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 07:00:10 am »

Yes, that sounds really interesting. How do I do that? I saw books mentioned in my stock list, but I don't know how to make them. As soon as I find out, I will write a book about trees, I already have the working title: "You can never have too many Bins - essays on the hoarding industry". I expect it to be a bestseller in my fort.

;D

Many, many years ago I read Tolkien several times, including the Hobbit and the Silmarrilon, it was a very big influence on a lot of people back then, including me. I believe the modern environmental movement got a lot of it's initial fuel from the descriptions of nature found in Tolkien's work.

Pratchett's work is silly and funny, and that is why I like it. It should not be compared to the serious and learned Tolkien, they are a world apart. But Thoriks comment was a bit absolutistic about Tolkien's being the only good fantasy world, so the troll in me took the opportunity to recommend Disc World as an alternative. Especially because imo the behavior of the DF dwarves correlate a lot better with the behavior of Pratchetts dwarves than with that of Tolkien's. If you haven't read Pratchett, try one. If you like it there is some 25 books in the series. If you don't like it, well, expect to get your trade goods confiscated.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

I think I've read every single Pratchett book two times over. The City Watch-ones, at any rate, Tolkien is still way badass. Now, let the derailing die!

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 08:20:25 am »

My appreciation of good furniture has increased, but most of all I get sleep better when I think about dwarves who can feel happy after having survived yet another day.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 09:20:13 am »

I know far more about the ground my cats defecate upon since I started playing, which is a good thing. I can now say with some certainty that "That particular geologically formation has a high likelihood of containing copper ores, which are incredibly heavy, thus being great for bashing elves goblins Nazi-Vampire-Robot-Alien-Zombies".

Also, my appreciation of life has dropped dramatically and my appreciation of finely crafted coffins has soared.

Following this, horror movies have been ruined for me. Ghosts aren't nearly as terrifying if they just sit around looking all spooky. SCARY ghosts are ones that come back just to tear the left arm off for no particular reason, then teleport through the coffin their corpse is buried in as a "F*ck you" to people who can't carve a name on a block of stone.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 [2] 3