Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Has Dwarf Fortress changed you or your life?  (Read 3809 times)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has Dwarf Fortress changed you or your life?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »

My experience in stockpiling makes restaurant food rotation cycles make a lot more sense... You've got a stockpile in the freezer, which gives to a stockpile in the fridge, and a stockpile in a smaller freezer, and the stockpile in the fridge gives to stockpiles in smaller fridges throughout the front end, which Urist McCook puts on the grill, the result of which gets sent to Urist McCustomer.

Thinking of all the customers as dwarves kind of improves the day too. Just hoping some forgotten beast doesn't come in and smash all the tables and head for the kitchen. I've got only a -steel spatula- to defend myself with.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 12:24:12 am »

The biggest impact it has had on me is the way I see the universe. I now think of the universe the same way I see DF: a procedurally generated universe. And now I am pretty sure that if there is a god, his name is Armok. And that the reason for all the suffering in the world is because Armok gets bored and decides to kill some people. All science is, is us trying to de-compile the source code for the universe. Religion is just people worshiping clowns (no one actually worships Armok because he is unknown, like in the game). And Armok, every now and then, gets bored of playing Fortress mode and decides to take over someone and do crazy shit with.

The guy in Canada that ate that guy? That was Armok. Hitler? Armok. Jesus? Armok. Muhammad? Armok. Bush? Armok. Every great person, and crazy person, in history has just been Armok getting bored of Fortress Mode. Achilles was probably fun to play as.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 12:31:42 am »

My experience in stockpiling makes restaurant food rotation cycles make a lot more sense... You've got a stockpile in the freezer, which gives to a stockpile in the fridge, and a stockpile in a smaller freezer, and the stockpile in the fridge gives to stockpiles in smaller fridges throughout the front end, which Urist McCook puts on the grill, the result of which gets sent to Urist McCustomer.

Thinking of all the customers as dwarves kind of improves the day too. Just hoping some forgotten beast doesn't come in and smash all the tables and head for the kitchen. I've got only a -steel spatula- to defend myself with.

What, no +steel slicing knife+, -steel carving knife- *steel carving fork*? That's messed up.

And yes, DF has changed my life. Now I think of what locks I would put on people if a sudden loyalty cascade went down.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 12:34:30 am »

The guy in Canada that ate that guy? That was Armok.

How about the guy who got on a greyhound bus and sawed off the head of the guy next to him?

Greyhound: Where you be headed?
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.
Pages: 1 2 [3]