Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My first fortress!  (Read 10670 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: My first fortress!
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 12:59:53 pm »

You can tell the bookkeeper to be more accurate by changing his [s]ettings via the [n]obles screen.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03:42 pm »

You can't pit dwarves, or former dwarves. You'll learn that when a dwarf gets caught in a cage trap and you need to release him. Theres only one way, you have to {b}uild the cage[j] somewhere, then unassign the dwarf or corpse. Of course, this will involve setting it free, so either build it in the pit, or have a military on hand.
Also, If you reveal the caverns, trees will grow on dirt anywhere, spotaneously.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:38:24 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 05:28:33 am »

You can tell the bookkeeper to be more accurate by changing his [s]ettings via the [n]obles screen.
Did  that, but the bookkeeper complained wrongly about not having an office. Turns out he was too bad to do better, just didn't want to admit it. I appointed another one and now the accounts are accurate.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More pictures!
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 07:16:27 am »

First half of the third year, now with more pictures and less text!
We made it to year 3 and the siege is lifted! Dwarves rejoice, dance and... well, drink a lot. Woodcutting starts up again and the cleaning begins. Both out entrances are busy with dwarves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh yeah, we found strange blue stones of different shades. There are some weird legends about blue stones and a cryptic warning: "Beware of the clowns!" I have no clue what that could mean, so we just dig away. They are pretty at least. Any useful metal ore still eludes us, so does coal.
We meet in the great hall, which is still messy from all the rejoicing and discuss our future. Since we are steadily growing we decide to formalize the government and elect a mayor. To my utter surprise they don't elect me, their faithful leader and brilliant architect of success! Ungrateful boozehounds! Their choice is the master carpenter Mosus, a nice and quiet man. He will need someone to steer him in the right direction to ensure our future success, survival that is. I shall become a puppet master, a lord of shadows, a powerful éminence grise!
He started demanding better quarters and lots of stuff immediately. I will distract him with beautiful stuff from the true power. These are the living quarters, with offices and the mayors room in the top right.
He got Bim's master work, an artifact marble armor stand in his living room. Not that he wears any armor, but it seems to make him very happy.
A human caravan arrived, they got some obsolete weapons, gems and some of Bim's stoneworks in trade for wood and leather. Also we got a nice, sharp bronze axe, the pitiful rest of our military will be glad.
New immigrants, which means new cannon fodd... ah, I mean future war heroes! The bolters only train 60% of the time to avoid complains, the rest of the time they go hunting. Everyone in the new army of the Mists of Time gets a faithful wardog as companion and personal bodyguard. Lets see those goblins end up in the stomach of our bests friends!
An ambush! One of the woodcutter got riddled with goblin bolts, but the rest made it inside in time. They were no match for our traps even with the diminished troops, while the wardogs tore some child snatchers apart. The watchdogs are too exposed, they got hit by goblin archers, but there's not much I can do about it, I fear. Our entrances are designed badly, someone has to rework the chapter in the Dwarven Compendium of Everything.
Our weaver is striving to compete with Bim's famous armor stand and creates Mosus Shigin, an artifact pig tail rope. Now we only need an artifact bucket to create a masterful artifact well, which will inspire legends for ages to come!
 ---will be continued---
I will also add a picture of the beginning of the siege to the second story post.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 07:19:13 am »

Congratulations, you discovered microcline. It's an ordinary stone, not the metal.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 01:10:30 pm »

You cant pit dwarves, or former dwarves. You'll learn that when a dwarf gets caught in a cage trap and you need to release him. THeres only one way, you have to {b}uild the cage[j] somewhere, then unassign the dwarf or corpse. Of course, this will involve setting it free, so either build it in the pit, or have a military on hand.
Also, If you reveal the caverns, trees will grow underground anywhere, spotaneously.
Thank you, I will do that. Could be fun!
Edit: Doesn't work, after release the cage is empty, but as soon as I bring it back to the stockpile, the undead dwarf magically reappears. Seems really buggy, I think, I have to destroy the cages.

Another problem showed its ugly nose: I bought casseritite (tin ore) from the dwarven caravan, but I still cannot smelt bronze. I got loads of copper ore and enough fuel, still the option to make bronze is red. Anyone know why? (If this doesn't work I will sacrifce lots of charcoal to smelt the casseritite first and try using bars instead of ore for the bronze production.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:42:00 pm by Berlioz »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:53 pm »

I hate Microcline so much, my candy mine is in the same place. I reccommmend steel though, theres almost always flux somewhere. I am currently forcing my dwarves to abndon inferior materials. Trust me, weapon creation is key, dwarves will get attached to any weapon they use extensively, and wont give it up, even if it is made of wood.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 08:46:35 am »

I hate Microcline so much, my candy mine is in the same place. I reccommmend steel though, theres almost always flux somewhere. I am currently forcing my dwarves to abndon inferior materials. Trust me, weapon creation is key, dwarves will get attached to any weapon they use extensively, and wont give it up, even if it is made of wood.
Got tons of flux, but no iron or tin, so no bronze either. I imported everything made of bronze, iron and steel I could and melted it down for weapons. Right now I got:
1 slash/stab squad: 3 swordsdwarves (steel short swords), 4 axedwarves (3 steel & 1 bismuth bronze axes) and 3 speardwarves (iron spears)
1 blunt squad: 2 hammerdwarves and 8 mace dwarves (all silver weapons)
2 marksdwarves squads (all wooden crossbows)
The quality of the weapons is very good, but I have mostly copper armor, some bronze helmets and iron mailshirts. Very good wooden shields/bucklers (my carpenter/bowyer is legendary/high master), the marksdwarves wear only leather, so they won't get bogged down. Later I plan on giving them at least metal helmets.
Ammunition is bad, stacks of wood and bone bolts for training, but only around 1000 metal bolts, 70% copper made.

Questions/problems:
1. How do I make bronze? I got casserite/tin bars (from the dwarven caravan), copper ore/bars, charcoal, still no option to make bronze.
2. After releasing undead dwarves from my cage they show empty, but after hauling the cage back to the stockpile they automagically reappear. How do I get rid of them?
3. My trained cave crocodile vanished from the animal screen. It's in its cage, but when I release it, it vanishs altogether, only reappearing in another (its original) cage. How do I train it further?
Cages are very bugged for me, or I'm too stupid to figure them out. Either way, it's very frustrating. Btw. I'm using 34.10 vanilla.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 12:34:27 pm »

You can't release enemies or wild animals by simply assigning them out of the cage.  The Dwarves, realizing the oversight in your instructions, will put the creatures into another cage instead.  Try assigning the crocodile to a rope (also called a chain).

Are the undead Dwarves dead or alive?  Dead things have to by gotten out of cages with the dump command.  Then you can recover the corpses from the dump.  Alive undead Dwarves are enemies and fall under the statement above.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 12:40:59 pm »

@slink: I've never needed to use a diagonal entrance in .34. Doors seem to work just as well. Double door them if you want to be safe, but a diagonal entrance seems to be the best solution.
No, you don't need to use a diagonal entrance, but you can skip using a door if you do.  That might make a difference in a brand new fortress.

Yeah, I guess, if you:
a.) don't have enough doors
b.) don't like fun

I once flooded a few levels of my fortress and blocked it off with a door and a lever, just because. Maybe I have too much fun.

a.) Yes, that's the point in a brand new fortess.
b.) I think you mean FUN.  My suggestion does lead to FUN if you get a necromancer in the fortress and have no door to lock.  However, you can add a door later.

Edit:Fixed messed up quote code.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:40:44 pm by slink »

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

You can't release enemies or wild animals by simply assigning them out of the cage.  The Dwarves, realizing the oversight in your instructions, will put the creatures into another cage instead.  Try assigning the crocodile to a rope (also called a chain).

Are the undead Dwarves dead or alive?  Dead things have to by gotten out of cages with the dump command.  Then you can recover the corpses from the dump.  Alive undead Dwarves are enemies and fall under the statement above.
The crocodile is +trained+, but it doesn't show up on the animal screen. I can neither train it further nor butcher it, not even while loo<k>ing at it. Chaining works, but no difference to the situation. Now undead attack and a lost crocodile bone fights me, while the animal trainer tries to train the bone and spams the log with aborts. The crocodile is chained up and quite friendly, but that's all. I say lots of bugs.

The undead dwarves in the cages are "alive" if you want to call it that way. Normal undead are no problem, but with dwarven undead the game glitches again. I can build their cages, that's all. No further options, no access to anything, except lots of aborted burial spam.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 02:42:15 pm »

Okay, the way you get dangerous live things out of a cage is as follows.

1.  Build the cage where you want the thing to be released.
2.  Attach a lever to the cage.  This requires a total of three mechanisms.
3.  Pull the lever.

Edit:  You can link several cages to one lever.  It just takes two additional mechanisms per cage.  Then all are released at the same time.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 06:48:21 pm »

Okay, the way you get dangerous live things out of a cage is as follows.

1.  Build the cage where you want the thing to be released.
2.  Attach a lever to the cage.  This requires a total of three mechanisms.
3.  Pull the lever.

Edit:  You can link several cages to one lever.  It just takes two additional mechanisms per cage.  Then all are released at the same time.
Oh, I didn't know you can link cages to levers. This actually worked, I had to kill the poor crocodile though, butchering/training was not an option. Thank you very much!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 07:16:55 pm »

Hey do you have any kids yet? thats where the real fun starts. Prepare for tantruming brats without enough clothes.
EDIT: well, new version out, fixes that up.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 05:31:16 am »

Hey do you have any kids yet? thats where the real fun starts. Prepare for tantruming brats without enough clothes.
EDIT: well, new version out, fixes that up.
I have more than thirty kids, but they're fine, having lotsa fun running around and playing in the mud. Never had a problem with tantrum, all my dwarves are ecstatic. A lot of booze helps.
I finally breached the caverns on level 52 from the surface and they dispatched a forgotten beast against me, something of a poison breath. I sealed the breach. I'm fiddling with the brook, trying to breach it from below to get water to my hospital and for indoor fishing. Hopefully I won't flood my fortress. Next will be an irrigation project for a huge underground mushroom forest to fire the furnaces.
Still no iron whatsoever, nor tin for bronze, so I'm stuck with copper. *sigh*
Got tons of gold and gems, just bought a huge stack of iron items from the humans for 60k. That should boost my military a little bit. All in all my dwarves seem to be doing well, after the first undead siege I feared I wouldn't last long.
How are the chances that I find no iron ore at all?
I searched nearly every level down to 52 now, nothing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:38:47 am by Berlioz »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4