Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265484 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - Update 0.34: Monster Making and Shyguy Slots
« Reply #390 on: October 16, 2013, 11:22:46 am »

Is anyone having the game regularly failing to load on embark?  I'm not sure whether it's something I did before the last update or not.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 16, 2013, 07:47:23 pm »

Is anyone having the game regularly failing to load on embark?  I'm not sure whether it's something I did before the last update or not.

No, but I had a couple crashes during world gen. Not sure whether this was because of the mod or the fact I was playing around with advanced world gen settings. :P

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 17, 2013, 02:03:19 am »

I had something similar happen once or twice when I was making a large savage world. It crashing, not the failing to embark.

Also can Koopas just not plant turtle bushes? Also apparently one of the drinks my koopas could embark with in one fort are "Baby tears".

My first attempt at playing around with the piranha plant breeding didn't exactly come up the way I intended. I had all roaming piranhas and stationary ones. My attempt at getting lava piranhas came up short when they combusted in the magma(I didn't realize they hadn't become lava buds)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:04:07 am by Asra »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 17, 2013, 09:42:00 am »

I had something similar happen once or twice when I was making a large savage world. It crashing, not the failing to embark.

Also can Koopas just not plant turtle bushes? Also apparently one of the drinks my koopas could embark with in one fort are "Baby tears".

My first attempt at playing around with the piranha plant breeding didn't exactly come up the way I intended. I had all roaming piranhas and stationary ones. My attempt at getting lava piranhas came up short when they combusted in the magma(I didn't realize they hadn't become lava buds)

Turtle bushes are just a regular plant, whether or not you can embark with them depends on what's growing nearby your starting civ.

Baby tears come from the rare baby's eye plant, and they offer temporary protection against transformations.  Very useful for adventurers looking to invade a wizard tower or a shroob lair.

Piranha plant evolution is largely experimental at this point, I overhauled the whole system in order to get them to breed (for the record, they breed once in their lives during the nipper plant phase, then give birth shortly after reaching adulthood).  So everything I stated in that post a while back probably doesn't hold true anymore.

I should probably write a FAQ at some point, this mod is full of unusual content that newcomers would want to know about.

On another topic, EmeraldWind, you think you could put that spritesheet you have up for download?  I don't use spritesheets (actually, I don't even know how to install one) but I expect some people would, and you've clearly done a lot of work with it!

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 17, 2013, 10:10:51 am »

Oh I know. I can embark with them with a civilization in a genned world, though they don't seem able to grow it even though they can start with it and trade it. Looking at the raws(something I'm not too good at) I'm probably just at the wrong biome. Are turtle bushes only temperate shrubland? It says it in the koopa dumpling section so that's presumably it.

Also about the pirahna plant evolution, do they only turn roaming or normal now in their groups?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:41 pm »

Oh I know. I can embark with them with a civilization in a genned world, though they don't seem able to grow it even though they can start with it and trade it. Looking at the raws(something I'm not too good at) I'm probably just at the wrong biome. Are turtle bushes only temperate shrubland? It says it in the koopa dumpling section so that's presumably it.

Also about the pirahna plant evolution, do they only turn roaming or normal now in their groups?

Yes, you're in the wrong biome.  Many plants in this mod are biome-specific.

I haven't done much testing with piranha plants.  Roaming and normal are the 'default' forms for male and female plants, respectively, but they might develop differently if grown outside in very hot or cold weather.  Submerging them in water at some point during their life cycle might also have an effect, as might growing them in swamps or forests.  Good, evil, and savage biomes might also have an effect.  Yes, I'm being very vague.  They are supposed to be influenced by all these things but I'm not really sure what works and what doesn't (very few of my test fortresses last for the year or two it would take to see long-term effects.)  The 'boss' forms probably won't work though.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 17, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »

Turtle bushes are just a regular plant, whether or not you can embark with them depends on what's growing nearby your starting civ.

Baby tears come from the rare baby's eye plant, and they offer temporary protection against transformations.  Very useful for adventurers looking to invade a wizard tower or a shroob lair.

Piranha plant evolution is largely experimental at this point, I overhauled the whole system in order to get them to breed (for the record, they breed once in their lives during the nipper plant phase, then give birth shortly after reaching adulthood).  So everything I stated in that post a while back probably doesn't hold true anymore.

I should probably write a FAQ at some point, this mod is full of unusual content that newcomers would want to know about.

On another topic, EmeraldWind, you think you could put that spritesheet you have up for download?  I don't use spritesheets (actually, I don't even know how to install one) but I expect some people would, and you've clearly done a lot of work with it!

Which one? The Stonesense one or the other one.

Cuz the old one is still here.

The Stonesense one still needs a bit of work actually. I've been tweaking it here and there. Trying to get it to look right. I also got a couple of sprites to add here and there, but as soon I get all the civs represented I'll post it. Though that may or may not include Beans as they have no Paper Mario sprites.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 18, 2013, 07:08:50 am »

Ah, I've suddenly started having some problems on embark. It's not really loading for my koopas in a RoTMK only world. I'm using an advanced generated world and the screen freezes when I press "e". Also, there are two different "berry" seeds with the same name to embark with. Not sure if this could cause it though. (It doesn't consistently happen, though. But I've noticed the times it has, there have been two identical berry seed groups in the embarking options).

Had an easy time with my first yoshi ambush. Second one though, had red yoshis in it and I was trying to make some pirahna plants of various types(still haven't managed, I was on a freshwater marsh that was hot, though it didn't rain all that much so that might have had something to do with it. I might try scorching next time. I'll try aligned biomes or Shy Guys next for that). Anyway, long story short it was really impressive seeing everything light up like that. I'm glad Koopas can fly. Some even managed to avoid being caught on fire by going around it instead of just standing there as walls of fire closed in on them.

Addition: No sign of it on a scorching mirthful island with koopas. How extreme do the environments have to be? I'm going to try the Shy Guys next.(Oh did you do away with the gardening thing for them?)

I do like the Shy Guy's new animals they can embark with. Are they from the last few updates? I don't remember most of them.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:30:32 am by Asra »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 19, 2013, 11:54:53 am »

Ah, I've suddenly started having some problems on embark. It's not really loading for my koopas in a RoTMK only world. I'm using an advanced generated world and the screen freezes when I press "e". Also, there are two different "berry" seeds with the same name to embark with. Not sure if this could cause it though. (It doesn't consistently happen, though. But I've noticed the times it has, there have been two identical berry seed groups in the embarking options).

Had an easy time with my first yoshi ambush. Second one though, had red yoshis in it and I was trying to make some pirahna plants of various types(still haven't managed, I was on a freshwater marsh that was hot, though it didn't rain all that much so that might have had something to do with it. I might try scorching next time. I'll try aligned biomes or Shy Guys next for that). Anyway, long story short it was really impressive seeing everything light up like that. I'm glad Koopas can fly. Some even managed to avoid being caught on fire by going around it instead of just standing there as walls of fire closed in on them.

Addition: No sign of it on a scorching mirthful island with koopas. How extreme do the environments have to be? I'm going to try the Shy Guys next.(Oh did you do away with the gardening thing for them?)

I do like the Shy Guy's new animals they can embark with. Are they from the last few updates? I don't remember most of them.

Actually, the fire had nothing to do with red yoshis.  Grass fires can sometimes be started by lightning strikes.  Just like in real life!

Nah, just kidding, I still haven't figured out the cause for spontaneous biome combustion.  It isn't too common, though.  It's a good idea to make fire escapes anyway, just in case you get attacked by Bob-ombs, someone else attacks your Bob-obs, or a startled civilian gets trigger-happy with a fire flower.

As for piranha plants, did you wait for the second generation?  The processes that determine their development occur during the year-long 'immature nipper spore' phase, which you can't buy at embark, so you won't be seeing the climate effects until about 2 years after starting your garden.  (Hence the reason why testing is such a pain.)

If you did, and warm climate didn't trigger a change, it's probably just not working.  The trigger is supposed to be long-period temperatures above 30 degrees, which you'll get in pretty much any environment described as 'tropical'.  I'll try to fix it up by the next update.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 19, 2013, 05:56:40 pm »

It might have been one of my Koopa's bob-ombs now that you mentioned it. There were some on the map, I guess that would make more sense.

Second generation? Well that explains it. I guess I'll have to tough it out again. Should I keep the newly born spores away from the other Pirahna plants so they grow up without being dominated, or can a Pirahna plant of a different type dominate a plant that turns into something new? I'll try to wait more on my next fortress and see what happens. I'll probably go for something aligned and tropical, just to hedge my bets. I can understand why testing would take so long now, ouch. Though there are always islands in the middle of nowhere, I guess.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 20, 2013, 10:53:23 am »

It might have been one of my Koopa's bob-ombs now that you mentioned it. There were some on the map, I guess that would make more sense.

Second generation? Well that explains it. I guess I'll have to tough it out again. Should I keep the newly born spores away from the other Pirahna plants so they grow up without being dominated, or can a Pirahna plant of a different type dominate a plant that turns into something new? I'll try to wait more on my next fortress and see what happens. I'll probably go for something aligned and tropical, just to hedge my bets. I can understand why testing would take so long now, ouch. Though there are always islands in the middle of nowhere, I guess.

The domination system is mostly removed, and what is there only occurs between spores (to ensure that females are more common in a given generation but males are not entirely absent, thereby maximizing breeding potential).  When I was testing, I added [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK], and [NO_EMOTION] to koopas and just sealed everyone away for a few years while I went to do something else.  I forgot to remove those tags in the last release... at any rate, just let me know what happens (I was testing breeding, not transformations).

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 21, 2013, 02:39:48 am »

I embarked on a small island in the middle of nowhere. I managed to get get A LOT of them, though overall all of them seemed to be the basic type, both above and below ground, though in subsequent generations I also received a very small number of munchers. I was hoping to get some lava piranhas underground but that didn't seem to happen. Then I used a lava pit outside and burnt everything.

Also for the hatchery, your koopa needs to have a nest box too, to hatch them right?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 21, 2013, 09:21:47 am »

I embarked on a small island in the middle of nowhere. I managed to get get A LOT of them, though overall all of them seemed to be the basic type, both above and below ground, though in subsequent generations I also received a very small number of munchers. I was hoping to get some lava piranhas underground but that didn't seem to happen. Then I used a lava pit outside and burnt everything.

Also for the hatchery, your koopa needs to have a nest box too, to hatch them right?

Munchers?  In a tropical climate?  Looks like it's back to the drawing board - they're supposed to show up in year-round freezing temperatures.

The 'hatchery' actually has nothing to do with eggs.  It's used to create creatures from 'monster eggs', which are spawned by consuming a 'potion of life creation'.

Don't spawn a lava pit on the grass (unless you're trying to burn everything).  Dig a hole first.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 21, 2013, 06:07:26 pm »

Yeah I figured that would happen but just wanted to see it firsthand.

I was on a volcano with the munchers, would that have affected what my piranhas grew into? I did try to have small groups of them spread all over the map and underground, though. I even had a few munchers pop up in the first soil layer.  They were fairly uncommon compared to the rest though. I'd get a few here and there in the second year, but on the third and fourth(my last two), I don't recall getting anymore, maybe just one or two. I haven't tried a fully freezing climate area though, so I might do that at some point with my current worlds and see if I'll get nothing but munchers.

Yeah I still need to figure out how to make a life potion. The hatchery itself was accessible without one and there wasn't an error for trying to produce male or female podobos and goombas without one.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - Update 0.35: Reclaim the Alchemic Mysteries
« Reply #404 on: November 09, 2013, 12:41:12 pm »

Well, this hasn't been tested quite as much as I like, but it's been a while since I last updated, and most of the bugs have been fixed (they were mainly caused by Piranha Plants, so they've been simplified, for now).

I'm calling this one the Alchemy Update.  A word of warning: this update increases the difficulty of the game somewhat.  Even if you hurry, it'll probably be about a year or two before you're able to start producing the high-level buildings and reactions.  But it's also more rewarding when you do.  The alchemy is also quite a bit more complicated than before, so this update comes packaged with a guide (which is not as well-organized as I'd like, but there's time for improvement).

The main change to Toads is that they can no longer produce warp pipes from any pipe sections - instead, they'll have to convert pipe sections into warp pipe sections by using... their own concentrated vim (or 'azoth').  What?  Well, warp pipes are green.  Toad vim is green.  The Shroobs were extracting vim to power their spaceships.  Think about it... Anyway, you extract and concentrate vim in a still.  Be warned that this will actually drain some blood from the Toad performing the reaction... it won't kill them immediately, but keep an eye on your self-brewer, and if you see them start to flash (indicating low blood levels) give them a rest or find a replacement.

As for Koopas... they now have two new castes - Burly Koopas and Magikoopas - and a caste-based noble system (so for instance, the civ's Oracle will always be a Magikoopa).  The mayor can set up Burly Koopas as Brutes who can run a more well-organized military even without a proper land-owner, although with the added difficulty of keeping a bunch of whiny (and quite dangerous when berserk) nobles satisfied.  Natural births of these two castes are quite rare, but you can transform regular Koopas into them using potions.

Creating the potions is fairly complicated - you'll need a fire-charged gem and 10 jars of azoth.  Charging a gem requires magma (or you can now make a non-magma charge point if you want to burn down an entire forest to create one gem - not recommended but hey, it's an option) and azoth requires 10 shining coins dissolved into alchohol.  A bit of a steep price...but you can use either 1 unit of azoth or 10% of a gem's charge to burn away an obsidian boulder (or if you're missing obsidian, turn a regular boulder into an obsidian boulder), creating a fire stone (for lava pit creation) and a 10% chance of making a carmot gem (aka the Philosopher's Stone).  Which can then let you convert any natural metal first to silver, then to gold, and finally to shining gold coins.  So getting started can take a long time, to be sure, but once you get the ball rolling you'll be able to start producing all the potions and shining gold coins you need.

As for Shyguys... well, they're now officially 'hard mode'.  Enemies from every direction... and not even a single squad to fight them.  At least at first.  Hope you like cage traps and siege weapons!  Once they've built up a sufficient population, they'll be able to start assigning nobles.  But sticking with them isn't without reward... they can use a 'Coloring Workshop' to paint wood and stone, boosting their value (before carving them - don't ask how that works, they're Shyguys), fast-grow plants (even those that can normally only grow in other biomes) and cross-breed powerups in a Gardener's Workshop, and once you get enough coins to play the slots for a magic potion (which must be grown from a seed) you'll be able to open up a Subspace Portal and produce Subcon Crystals, which will allow you to produce temporary items or permanent blocks from a Dream Bed or a Toy Box, respectively.  Oh, yeah - multicolored blocks are back, and now come in six eye-hurting colors (and you can choose which ones to make if you're OCD like that).  A Magic Vase will give you access to infinite white sand (for use in the Coloring Workshop) and will sometimes produce keys to be used with a Subspace Portal for better rewards.  But you'd better keep it well guarded...

By the way, if you need coins or other items, flying ? blocks now work properly.  When they fly in, wait until they stop moving, and if they stop out of reach in midair, quickly construct a stairway up and send a soldier to punch them.  Hey, you ain't Jumpman.  They can be opened at a Craftman's Workshop.

One of the reasons for all of this is to increase the benefit of cross-species reclaims.  What does this mean?  Well, since all groups use more-or-less the same materials in their reactions, there's added benefit to reclaiming a fort abandoned by another species rather than starting a new one.  (Koopas reclaiming a well-established Toad fort, for instance, can make good use of the Power Stars and piles of coins they find there, and Shyguys can dissolve a carmot stone to produce a free Magic Potion right from the start).  Also, some species can utilize workshops that can only be created by another species - for example, only Toads can create a Toad House or Warp Pipes, and only Koopas can create a Golden Chest, but anyone can use them once they're made.  There are even some 'secret reactions' that can only be used by a species with access to a workshop built by another species.  For instance, Toads with access to an Alchemist's Workshop can 'meddle with dark forces best left untouched' (animate all corpses) and Shyguys/Koopas can desecrate a Star Beacon altar (causes one or more of several fun effects...usually bad ones, but hey, you might luck out and get a vampire, or a pet Artichoker).

I've also included a copy of the DF executable, which has a couple of language file changes.  Nothing too major, just some minor flavor stuff, like getting Bub-ulbs to stop referring to themselves as elves and having more Mushroom Kingdom-appropriate month names.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 62