Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265374 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.25)
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2012, 04:26:38 pm »

I was browsing through the Raws and noticed a few possible errors:
  • The "obtain the Star Beam" reaction doesn't give you the Star Beam, just shatters some Power Stars
  • The Goomba Translation name is GOBLIN instead of GOOMBA
  • Starmetal has 2 material values 100 and 300(which makes it value=300, but I'm not sure why there're two different)
  • Starmetal can't seem do more than dent creatures because of how light it is. (Team A) 5 goombas skilled in axes with starmetal hatchets vs (Team B) 5 unarmed untrained goombas. The victor is Team B with only dented veils to show their triumph. Even a bandit with starmetal will get killed by a goomba if he actually uses his weapon.

...Huh?  I just checked my raws and they seem fine (aside from the starmetal double value).  Starmetal is basically a gold-colored clone of adamantine minus the thread extraction and underground location (so yes, clubs and hammers are useless, but axes should be fine), and GOBLIN isn't anywhere.... are you sure you have the right version?
You're right about the Star Beam though, I forgot that, my mistake... though I'd be very very surprised if anybody managed to collect enough stars to find out!  Something needs to be done about the star reactions in general, I think.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 01, 2012, 04:56:51 pm »

• The "obtain the Star Beam" reaction doesn't give you the Star Beam, just shatters some Power Stars
  • Starmetal has 2 material values 100 and 300(which makes it value=300, but I'm not sure why there're two different)
  • Starmetal can't seem do more than dent creatures because of how light it is. (Team A) 5 goombas skilled in axes with starmetal hatchets vs (Team B) 5 unarmed untrained goombas. The victor is Team B with only dented veils to show their triumph. Even a bandit with starmetal will get killed by a goomba if he actually uses his weapon.

...Huh?  I just checked my raws and they seem fine (aside from the starmetal double value).  Starmetal is basically a gold-colored clone of adamantine minus the thread extraction and underground location (so yes, clubs and hammers are useless, but axes should be fine), and GOBLIN isn't anywhere.... are you sure you have the right version?
You're right about the Star Beam though, I forgot that, my mistake... though I'd be very very surprised if anybody managed to collect enough stars to find out!  Something needs to be done about the star reactions in general, I think.
I just re-downloaded and the language_GOOMBA file says
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
straight out of the zip.
And Adamantine has a [SOLID_DENSITY:200] while starmetal has [SOLID_DENSITY:1], so I think adamantine hits with 200x more force, but is still nearly weightless.

Imagine swinging an extremely sharp sword that is lighter than a feather, you can swing it as fast as your arm can go (Weight x Speed = Force) but it has almost no weight for your swings to multiply into force (1 x 1000 = 1000), whereas a slightly heavier object can be swung at nearly (if not) the same speed (2 x 900 = 1800) for more. DF weapon attacks though are always done at the same speed with the same attack no matter the weight (1000 x 1000 = 1000000) though you probably wouldn't hit with the heavier things, so you get an extremely sharp edge with almost no driving weight.

On the flip side, it's amazing as armor as it is the closest thing to weightless and still as rigid.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 01, 2012, 05:05:56 pm »

... While I don't have much feedback for actual gameplay, it is nice to see some SMRPG enemies being included.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 01, 2012, 06:15:30 pm »

I just re-downloaded and the language_GOOMBA file says
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
straight out of the zip.
And Adamantine has a [SOLID_DENSITY:200] while starmetal has [SOLID_DENSITY:1], so I think adamantine hits with 200x more force, but is still nearly weightless.

Imagine swinging an extremely sharp sword that is lighter than a feather, you can swing it as fast as your arm can go (Weight x Speed = Force) but it has almost no weight for your swings to multiply into force (1 x 1000 = 1000), whereas a slightly heavier object can be swung at nearly (if not) the same speed (2 x 900 = 1800) for more. DF weapon attacks though are always done at the same speed with the same attack no matter the weight (1000 x 1000 = 1000000) though you probably wouldn't hit with the heavier things, so you get an extremely sharp edge with almost no driving weight.

On the flip side, it's amazing as armor as it is the closest thing to weightless and still as rigid.

Ah, okay, I see what you're saying... admittedly it doesn't really matter much in this version, as it's virtually impossible to come by anyway, but I'll have it fixed for the next one.

... While I don't have much feedback for actual gameplay, it is nice to see some SMRPG enemies being included.

Yeah SMRPG was and yet remains my favorite game in the series... but quite apart from personal preference, it also happens to include a whole lot of 'wild animal' type creatures in it - the series as a whole has a huge number of enemies, but a very high percentage of them are goomba/koopa variants or otherwise intelligent or near-intelligent creatures.  I needed to look elsewhere in order to find creature variety to populate the biomes themselves, so you'll see a lot of representatives from the RPGs in general, especially the original.  Expect to see more in the future (I'm even planning on putting Culex in, though not in a way that's easy to find!)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 01, 2012, 10:22:12 pm »

EmeraldWind has been taken by the spirit of procrastination.
EmeraldWind has claimed a computer.
EmeraldWind has started a stupid project.

Yeah, stupidity abound today. Why oh why? Work in progress...

EmeraldWind has returned to his project.

Edit: I finished phase one. Which was essentially to find or create sprites for each of the entity (as well as a active military sprite).

I don't have the talent to make a custom graphics set entirely plus I prefer to use the normal ASCII tiles, but having unique creature graphics seemed like it would help out a bit. 

I used sprites from Mario games for the Toads, Koopas, Frogs, Yoshi, G(l)oomba, and Bob-Omb. I modified sprites for Shroobs and Star Sprites. The rest were all original for better or worse.

The reason I did two sprites was to make the sprites like the two tile the dwarves use. The sprites are 16x16. I haven't had a chance to check to see all the sprites in-game as getting the creatures to show their military colors isn't exactly easy when they can't run a fort, but the regular colors seem good enough.

I still got a bit more before my project is done. I want to make a custom 16x16 tileset that isn't stretched like the curses one. I also want to get tiles in for some more creatures if I can. Granted this took me a good bit of the day to do this... and I got homework I should have been doing...

If anyone is interested in what I have done so far: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6992
It should be pretty easy to set up.

Edit: This also still has the Bert civ sprites on it even though the entity seems to be gone now.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:53:22 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:07 am »

Those are pretty good!  Though I should warn you that I do tend to shift things around without warning, especially the hidden underground civs (Burts were only in it so that they'd wear pants, but once I realized that they'd also form little groups and siege your fortress instead of just hopping along I decided it wasn't worth it.  Lantern ghosts might soon go the same way, now that I've figured out a method to turn body parts directly into items when butchering them.)  I don't personally use graphic packs, but this does go a way into making this mod feel more 'complete'.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 02, 2012, 08:08:30 am »

Those are pretty good!  Though I should warn you that I do tend to shift things around without warning, especially the hidden underground civs (Burts were only in it so that they'd wear pants, but once I realized that they'd also form little groups and siege your fortress instead of just hopping along I decided it wasn't worth it.  Lantern ghosts might soon go the same way, now that I've figured out a method to turn body parts directly into items when butchering them.)  I don't personally use graphic packs, but this does go a way into making this mod feel more 'complete'.

I don't use graphic packs either and I stick with the simple ASCII font. I like the way the ASCII causes me to invoke my imagination a little more.
But the little bit I was testing out my sprites it definitely make it easier to see the creatures both on screen and in my mind.

This is why I'm limiting my sprites to two for entity creatures and one for non-entity creatures. I want to preserve the feel of the ASCII graphics, so the graphics are simple and made to be colored by the game itself.

That said I don't really like the stretched look of the 16x16 version of curses, so I'm going to try and improve it in that regard.

As for any rearranging that is fine, in fact I'm pretty sure the game will handle extra lines just fine since the graphics are pointed to the creature not the entity.

I'm not making any guarantees that I will do all the creatures though. My original goal was just to do the entity creatures. 

Edit: Okay, I did get around to adding a few more sprites. I filled out the blank spots on the sprite sheet I put up. I went through and made (or borrowed) sprites for the some of the creatures in the megabeast file. I did break my rule about 1 sprite for non-entity creatures though. I gave the demon koopa creatures two sprites. I thought it would be neat if Koopalings had their own sprite. Since there are megabeast chomp and piranha plant creatures their respective non-megabeast creatures have sprites now too. You can get the new file from the link two posts above this one.

BTW. Never pit a creature that can spawn minions against a creature that raises dead to a ridiculous scale. You end up with what can only be described as Mushroom Ragnarok.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:39:49 pm by EmeraldWind »

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2012, 03:57:36 pm »

That said I don't really like the stretched look of the 16x16 version of curses, so I'm going to try and improve it in that regard.
Heres a link to some cool ACSII sets.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114070.0
I intend to make many mods one day! If only I had more time to learn and my siblings stopped deleting my work whenever I refuse to be blackmailed.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.26)
« Reply #248 on: October 04, 2012, 10:53:12 am »

Minor update here:

Smithy is now more challenging and more epic: he's a shapeshifting boss, and by that I mean that he is intended to take longer to kill than the time it takes for him to transform.  Yet he's still killable over time if you keep on wailing away at him.  How?  Damaging him (in the head) gradually raises his body temperature via a boiling blood effect, and although transformations heal all wounds, they do not alter body temperature... so he has a vital body part that melts when it reaches a high enough temperature.  So essentially you kill him by overheating.  You get a slade maul for winning, which isn't as practical as it sounds because it's so heavy but hey, slade maul.  Adjustment was a pain, but I'm rather pleased with the result.  He's tougher than most megabeasts, but isn't as ridiculously unstoppable as the Shadow Queen.

Also non-weapon-skilled adventurers should start with spears and daggers by default instead of tridents and krooks.  I honestly can't figure out how the game decides which default weapons to pick, does anybody know the rules to this?

Oh yes, and Toads can now use a reaction in the crafttoad's workshop to seal powerup plants (super/volt/mega/1up mushrooms, fire/ice/superball flowers, super leaf bushes) inside blocks and unseal them when they are needed.  Sealed powerups won't rot or be eaten by vermin, which helps out for these seasonally-dependent powerups, and they can even be saved from one fort to the next if you abandon and reclaim it.  Also adventurers can unseal the blocks, so you can set up a farm to help out your next adventurer if you want to.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 04, 2012, 03:25:30 pm »

Oh yes, and Toads can now use a reaction in the crafttoad's workshop to seal powerup plants (super/volt/mega/1up mushrooms, fire/ice/superball flowers, super leaf bushes) inside blocks and unseal them when they are needed.  Sealed powerups won't rot or be eaten by vermin, which helps out for these seasonally-dependent powerups, and they can even be saved from one fort to the next if you abandon and reclaim it.  Also adventurers can unseal the blocks, so you can set up a farm to help out your next adventurer if you want to.

You know that will be really cool when the rest of the trading stuff goes in. You could create a fort with the goal being creating blocks and trading them to get them bouncing around the global trade.
Then you can create a fort later that can trade for a bunch of power-up blocks (even better you might be able to embark with them). It would probably help to get a bunch of power-up blocks on the market before heading to extremely evil regions.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:09:00 pm by EmeraldWind »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 05, 2012, 06:25:47 pm »

although transformations heal all wounds, they do not alter body temperature... so he has a vital body part that melts when it reaches a high enough temperature.  So essentially you kill him by overheating. 

God dang it Indigo why must you keep doing these amazing things.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 08, 2012, 09:45:46 pm »

although transformations heal all wounds, they do not alter body temperature... so he has a vital body part that melts when it reaches a high enough temperature.  So essentially you kill him by overheating. 

God dang it Indigo why must you keep doing these amazing things.

I agree with that. Picking up on that small nuance and using it was very clever.

Another thing is though, unless I'm thinking it through wrong. The Smithy creature would need to be taken out in a single battle preferably. If given enough time his temp should slowly revert back to normal effectively giving him a clean bill of health. Even that kind of adds to how epic a Smithy battle will be.

It will be quite fun.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.27)
« Reply #252 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:07 am »

Update time!

This version adds a couple of tweaks, some bigger, some smaller.  But first the cool but useless: I finally found out how to change the embark and trader messages.  What better way to start out a Mushroom Kingdom game than with a letter from your civ's ruler, after all?

Shy Guys have been given a significant nerf: you can still produce free stuff from subspace portals, but anything you make for free will gradually decay over the course of about a year (amount of time varies based on the type of object).  Constructed walls and the like will remain, but any furniture or items produced will fade away after a few months of use, potentially causing hilarity to ensue.  The precise type of hilarity depends on what object decays and what it's doing at the time...so watch what you make your supports out of, and take care when you're building cage traps to hold dangerous animals in!  This leads to some interesting gameplay effects if you tend to rely on subspace furniture, since your fortress will tend to 'migrate' if you don't reconstruct it as it was before.

Bob-Ombs are more fun to play as now, as they have two types of explosions: the kind that kills them and everything around them, and the kind that just sends everyone flying.  They have no hard body parts, so they are more resistant to being thrown into things than most of their enemies, although this does make them somewhat easier to kill by punching... CPU-controlled bob-ombs will always just use the fatal explosion though.

Smithy has been adjusted slightly so that animal-type creatures can defeat him without their fat melting from the heat, although this does make him somewhat susceptible to magma, but then again who isn't?  And the Shadow Queen should now be beatable - or more precisely, exorcisable.  That is, dealing enough trauma will cause the possessed creature to revert back to its original self.  Shadow Queen's possession is based on COMBATHARDNESS, that is, a creature needs to have never faced combat in order to be possessed, and the possession ends when they reach full COMBATHARDNESS.  I haven't tested it in fortress mode, so no telling what effect emotional trauma may have... Mind, she's still a dragon-sized lightning-shooting poisonous necromancer with no weak points, so 'beatable' is strictly a relative term in this case.  :P

Speaking of COMBATHARDNESS, some secrets have been given 'level-up' properties, so fighting more after learning them will unlock new attacks or strengthen old ones.  Firebrand, for instance, will let you shoot a single fireball at a time at low levels, but will allow you to use rapid fireballs and even dragonfire at the highest levels.  More of these to come in the future.

Finally, prankster comets may appear.  They are rare regional effects that can potentially occur anywhere (about 1 in 20 embarks will have one) that have unpredictable effects on creature's behavior or abilities, like periodically speeding up all non-sentient creatures or making everything die more easily.  There's no message to let you know when they show up, but if your game starts doing weird things, a prankster comet may be the cause.  They usually make the game more challenging but can potentially be turned to your advantage.

There are more ways of getting Power Stars now.  Star Bunnies, for example, are weak creatures that aren't hard to kill, but are really fast and agile enough to dodge arrows, so you'll have to use trickier tactics if you want their stars.  And if you aren't getting enough megabeasts, why not make your own?  Surprise Cake now has a use besides being an elaborate and costly means of suicide, as it can be farmed for Power Stars and operates by 'summoning' instead of permanently transforming the eater.  Of course, you'd better be well prepared before you make one...

Podoboos are more !!fun!! now.  They splatter magma on their enemies and basically behave the way a living blob of magma should act.  Don't fight them hand-to-hand unless you want to burn... They are tamable (make sure to use magma-proof cages!), but a pet podoboo is almost as dangerous as a wild one if not handled with extreme care.

More creatures too!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 16, 2012, 07:24:18 pm »

I think I'm gonna try this mod again. What do you do with extra seeds in a standard embark anyway? Cook them?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2012, 09:23:34 pm »

This is definitely the most work I've seen put into the details of a mod so far. Amazing what Dwarf Fortress allows you to do with interactions. Going to try a Shy Guy fort, disappearing supports and chairs sounds excellent.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 62