Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265344 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.24)
« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2012, 02:02:34 pm »

Have you concidered making a Toad-friendly koopa civ?
I mean, according to the paper mario games, not every koopa are evil.

The civilizations themselves are babysnatchers, but you'll find friendly koopas, goombas, etc. in adventure mode.

I think the Toad-friendly Koopa in the first Paper Mario game are supposed to be refugees that are a part of the Mushroom Kingdom now. Considering they live close to an old fortress of Bowser's it would make sense in a way. As for the Koopa town in PM:TTYD, I think it may just be a group of Koopa that chose to live in peace. Interestingly, Bowser appears okay with this which makes sense if you take his depiction in SMRPG to be true. (He had no trouble with some of his minions deciding to live in peace. Bowser may be a bad guy, but he's never been a total dicktator.)

Similarly, Goomba are supposed to be natural members of the Mushroom Kingdom, but lots of them defected to Bowser's side for some reason. Granted there still  seem to be a good number of MK loyal goomba. (If I had to assume the reason why goomba would leave is because Toads and goomba have different body types. Meaning goomba can't exactly do everything a nicely or easily as a Toad. Might be enough of a gap for some kind of racism to pop up. Which the Paper Mario games seem to hint that whoever wrote the Tattle Log was slightly prejudiced against goomba due to the description found in both games. Sadly, its kind of played for laughs from the goomba in your party and they both seemed to be surprised by the Tattle Logs' descriptions of their species.)

I wonder if Toady will ever allow political relations like this to form. Now you get stuff like this if one civ conquers another civ, but you don't necessarily get people moving from civ to civ because they disagree with the way their civ is run. I mean there will be refugees escaping sacked sites in the next version, I wonder if they will try to set up new lives in other civs if they can't reach sites from their original civ.

Edit:
The next update is mainly focused on adventure mode, though.  Night creatures and stuff.  Possibly will add some things in the underworld too... (I've been reading up on the Thousand-Year Door, which I've never actually played...its story really meshes quite well with DF's hard-coded settings, doesn't it?)
I'll look into the koopa egg problem.  Has anyone else made a functioning egg-laying playable race, or is it a hard-coded issue?

Wow, you never played Thousand Year Door? Actually I shouldn't be as surprised... I almost didn't play it due to the lack of advertising on it. It sort of slid past the radar for a while there. But if you played the first Paper Mario and liked it TTYD is actually a lot better. I've played through it a couple times.

This also explains why we can't make hot dogs from eggs yet. (There's a scene in the game where you have to save a Yoshi egg from a Hotdog Vendor (which is some kind of Pig Person). Mario gets a choice to give the egg back to the vendor that reads "Let there be hotdogs!" Cracks me up every time.)

So I say to you, "Let there be hotdogs!"

Edit 2: Speaking of missing oddities. You should probably add Volt Shrooms and Ice Flowers to the power-up crops.

Volt Shrooms electrify whoever eats one. You could have it give a temporary Thunder Hand ability.
Ice Flowers would need a bit more thinking through though... but you got some kind of ice spell with the shaman.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:39:41 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2012, 02:23:18 pm »

And there were hotdogs.
Code: [Select]
item_food

[OBJECT:ITEM]

[ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_HOTDOGS]
[NAME:hotdogs]
[LEVEL:3]

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 28, 2012, 03:28:30 pm »

How about Ztars, Shinesprites, bronze, silver, green and grand stars? (I had ideas for these yesterday but had no acces to a PC or paper and forgot. I'm sure someone can come up with a use for these.) Also a variety of Yoshi from Super Mario Sunshine. (They squirt juice and water kills them)
Also are Polluted Piranha Plants (Rare, found in evil tropical areas) and Swoopin' Stus (They leave some form of refuse when they attack/get attacked) Possible?
http://www.mariowiki.com/Polluted_Piranha_Plant
http://www.mariowiki.com/Swoopin%27_Stu
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:32:09 pm by Droid15243Z »
I intend to make many mods one day! If only I had more time to learn and my siblings stopped deleting my work whenever I refuse to be blackmailed.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 28, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »

Has anyone else made a functioning egg-laying playable race, or is it a hard-coded issue?

Based on what he said, I think this guy made an egg-laying civ:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4877

Try asking him if he got it to work right.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 29, 2012, 12:41:46 am »

Is there by any chance a phobeus pack for this mod?

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 29, 2012, 03:34:13 am »

There should be a succession fort, RP, stories and LPs of this mod! ;)
I intend to make many mods one day! If only I had more time to learn and my siblings stopped deleting my work whenever I refuse to be blackmailed.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #231 on: September 29, 2012, 12:05:33 pm »

Edit 2: Speaking of missing oddities. You should probably add Volt Shrooms and Ice Flowers to the power-up crops.

Volt Shrooms electrify whoever eats one. You could have it give a temporary Thunder Hand ability.
Ice Flowers would need a bit more thinking through though... but you got some kind of ice spell with the shaman.

Hmm, egg dogs by mixing meat with eggs... simple enough!
Volt Shrooms are a good idea too, as a counterpart to Fire Flowers.
Ice spells are problematic though, freezing spray is possible but it'll affect the caster too.  As a natural ability it's fine if the caster's creature type is immune to cold (although it can cause them to freezer-burn their own clothes off if it's too strong) but giving it to a non-cold-immune creature is a recipe for self-destruction.  It could be made into an ice-ball shooting ability instead, but that's just a physical projectile and won't cause any cold-related damage.

How about Ztars, Shinesprites, bronze, silver, green and grand stars? (I had ideas for these yesterday but had no acces to a PC or paper and forgot. I'm sure someone can come up with a use for these.) Also a variety of Yoshi from Super Mario Sunshine. (They squirt juice and water kills them)
Also are Polluted Piranha Plants (Rare, found in evil tropical areas) and Swoopin' Stus (They leave some form of refuse when they attack/get attacked) Possible?

Hmm... I guess there could be other materials for power stars, but they'd all work pretty much the same.  The others are definitely possible, but I think something more creative could be done for goop-based creatures...

There should be a succession fort, RP, stories and LPs of this mod! ;)

Feel free to make one!  ;D

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2012, 02:58:51 pm »

Mabey you can make special cloths for wizards that can't be freezer burned. X-Nauts (They fit in with the other end game siege types.) Could shy guys have balloons to float around with? The ghosts from Luigi's mansion could be added to 'haunted' areas. The tiny ones (not the mice) could be pets. Cloud N. Candy from Yoshi's story as a nearly harmless MB. (Can be butchered for cotton candy)  :)

Also mini mario toys (based off legends) As an intelligent or exotic pets)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:10:49 am by Droid15243Z »

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 29, 2012, 11:21:54 pm »

Yeah, I kind of realized the impossibility of Ice Flowers as I was typing it.

The best you could do is make an a custom ice material that all normal creatures have a material weakness to and fire-based creatures have high material weakness to.
(Naturally ice friendly creatures would have a resistance to it.) But that honestly will be too much work and upkeep.

Though there are a lot of other neat power ups from the series to do, IE the Superball flower from Super Mario Land. It allowed Mario to produce rubber ball projectiles as weird as that is. You can have Super Garlic as an odd biome version of the Super Mushroom (and maybe Garlic, Mid Garlic, and Max Garlic as similar bizzarro mushrooms).

Mini Mushrooms could be made, but would have little purpose and would be down-right stupid to grow in a fort. (LOL) So would Poison Mushrooms... Though if we ever gain the ability to put poison onto weapon tips, they both would be fun then.

I guess a lot of these will be better when DF has more features to actually utilize them.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.25)
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2012, 09:26:34 am »

So!  New update!  Let's see what's in this time...

This update has been mainly focused on making adventure mode more interesting.  First off, a couple of interactions have been modified so that they will work with adventure mode's strange views on timing.  In particular, shy guy and bandit adventurers now have special abilities of their own: shy guys can use 'Panic!' to enter Panic Mode for a few turns, in which they will have dodging abilities that will put a bogeyman to shame, and anything that actually manages to hit them will do no more than bruise them... but their attack power will drop to nothing during that time.  It's used to make quick escapes from a dangerous situation...and leap from cliffs without taking damage (there is a limit, though.  They have to hit the bottom before the effect wears off, so chasm-diving is still not a great idea.)  Bandits can use 'Hit & Run', which will boost their attack power for a short period (indicated by a flashing red '!'), then drop it down to nothing while boosting their agility in order to make a quick getaway.  When the flashing red '!' turns white, that's when its time to run for it.

Two new predators have been added: Artichoker and Carriboscis.  They're rare, but prominent.  Artichokers are extremely tough and can use lightning attacks, and Carriboscis can inflict numerous status ailments that might force you to change tactics if you're used to relying on certain abilities.  Fun fact: did you know that adding a [VERBAL] tag to an interaction makes non-speakers unable to use it?  And that it's possible to remove (temporarily or permanently) the [CAN_SPEAK] tag from a target creature?

I hope you're ready to fear the night, because some new night creatures are in.  Shadowy doppelgangers will seed the world with Doopliss-style duplighosts masquerading  as regular citizens.  Duplighosts 'take over the lives' of creatures, condemning their targets to wander the world as shadowy doppelgangers themselves, looking for another creature to swap identities with.  Okay, it's technically just a werewolf-type curse, but the idea is that if one of them attacks you, you are now playing as the duplighost disguised as yourself and stealing your name, and your old soul is now in the form of a shadowy doppelganger, who you will probably kill.  Yah it's a bit confusing but it works (note, however, that if you 'discard your physical body' you will become a shadowy doppelganger permanently and will be unable to return to your original form or take on the shape of a flying duplighost.  You probably don't want to do that.)

Hidden machines are a little more straightforward, being stabbed by a 'machine made scout' will inject you with nanobots.  If you survive the fight (quite an accomplishment, machine mades are TOUGH), you'll become a hidden robot with all the regular night creature perks, plus steel-strength skin and the ability to 'reveal your true form', turning into a giant robot (based on Yaridovich).  Be warned that transforming is permanent.

Oh, yes, and shadow sirens as spouse-stealers.  If you think its strange that there will be male shadow sirens, you need to read up on Vivian's international secrets ;).  They will attack with elemental magic.  I tried to make it so that each one picks only one element but for some reason it didn't work.  Prepare to get frozen, fried, and zapped all at once.

Speaking of freezing, I found a way to make it work...kinda.  Ice flowers and a blizzard secret are in.  In order to use them without killing yourself, first use 'antifreeze' to coat yourself in a covering of warmth, which will offer you some resistance against self-freezing.  When the fight is over, use 'clean' to get rid of any unwanted residue.  They also have extravision, so when their eyeballs freeze over (generally the first major effect of extreme cold) they won't be handicapped.  This won't stop the computer-controlled characters from killing themselves like idiots (or somehow coating their opponents in antifreeze while leaving themselves exposed), but CPU flamethrowers tend to light themselves on fire too so I guess it's balanced out.  Superballs are in too.  They're a lot more straightforward and just let you shoot a rock at your enemy.

Hmm, what else... Oh, yes, tomb raiders should watch out for new disturbance curses: chomp mummies (who will sic stone chomps on you) and of course, phantos.  They won't give you permanent curses to make the rest of your life a pain, but they both have a very good chance of making the rest of your life a lot shorter.

Fortress players aren't entirely left out, though.  A new semimegabeast of the watery caverns, Naval Pirahna, will spawn waves of pirahna plants unless it's killed.  There is a limit placed on how much it can spawn in a given space, but it's a pretty big limit.  Hopefully framerate won't have too big of an issue, since pirahna plants are immobile.

Oh, and one more thing... the Shadow Queen.  I haven't actually tested if it'll work yet, but in theory, if you find a hidden underground fortress and bring the right citizen down there - it has to be someone who has not become accustomed to tragedy (the 'pure hearted' requirement - this is probably not likely to happen by accident), this creature may become a 'vessel' for the Shadow Queen.  She will then proceed to utterly destroy your fortress :P.  She is intended to be a 'final boss'.  I know DF doesn't really work with final bosses, but seeing as how the Shadow Queen is implied to be the leader of demons, the creator of megabeasts, and the one worshipped by creatures of the night, I'd say she fits the role.  And she will.  Big as a dragon, no thought center, poisonous evaporating blood, can shoot lightning, can animate the dead without even being able to see it... but hey, if it bleeds, we can kill it, right?  Right?  Try asking the 5 giant chomps I placed against one in the Arena.  Oh, they're zombies now.

(She isn't immune to the Star Beam though...)

Oh yes, nearly forgot: Kongs and Kremlings are in.  They aren't too common, but they're around.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to fully separate them from the other races - they'll still start wars in worldgen (especially Kremlings) but they shouldn't come to your fort.  Tropical moist broadleaf forests and tropical saltwater wetlands are their territories, so embark there if you want to build a fortress among critters like gnawties and klaptraps.

Droid15243Z

• Bay Watcher
  • Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »

Awesome update! Actually the kong/kremling civilizations warring with the mushroom world during world gen could be part of the lore explaining why they no longer associate with each other. (A truce mabey)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:09:29 pm by Droid15243Z »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2012, 03:44:52 pm »

Fun fact: did you know that adding a [VERBAL] tag to an interaction makes non-speakers unable to use it?

Holy crap, so it's incantations and not just something they say.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »

Whoa. Being the Mario Guy in the forum games section, I'm going to have to get a community fort/succession fort of this rolling sometime down the road. I love that you made it independent from the original RAWs.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:56:25 pm by freeformschooler »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 01, 2012, 11:50:48 am »

Fun fact: did you know that adding a [VERBAL] tag to an interaction makes non-speakers unable to use it?

Holy crap, so it's incantations and not just something they say.

Yeah, the wiki could use an update, huh?  In fact, I think I'm going to start updating the wiki, 'cause I'm finding out a whole lot of nice stuff making this mod.

Whoa. Being the Mario Guy in the forum games section, I'm going to have to get a community fort/succession fort of this rolling sometime down the road. I love that you made it independent from the original RAWs.

Hey, you started Mushroom Kingdom Wars, didn't you?  You were one of the two major inspirations I had for making this mod (the other being its namesake, naturally).

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 01, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »

I was browsing through the Raws and noticed a few possible errors:
  • The "obtain the Star Beam" reaction doesn't give you the Star Beam, just shatters some Power Stars
  • The Goomba Translation name is GOBLIN instead of GOOMBA
  • Starmetal has 2 material values 100 and 300(which makes it value=300, but I'm not sure why there're two different)
  • Starmetal can't seem do more than dent creatures because of how light it is. (Team A) 5 goombas skilled in axes with starmetal hatchets vs (Team B) 5 unarmed untrained goombas. The victor is Team B with only dented veils to show their triumph. Even a bandit with starmetal will get killed by a goomba if he actually uses his weapon.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 62