Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265353 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.23)
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »

Enjoy the free star weapons while you can, because I'm giving it the [SPECIAL] tag in the next version to keep it out of adventure mode and trader caravans.  It's basically yellow adamantine, and as nice as it is to find some as an adventurer, running into enemies equipped with it isn't so nice (unless it happens to be a hammer, in which case no problem).

Tryclydes aren't supposed to die out that quickly, I thought I changed it.  Huh.

Mushroom-type creatures drop their spores if they're killed with a headshot.  It's normally just for show, but watch out for Amanitas...  :P

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.24)
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2012, 01:05:06 pm »

New update: Basically just touching up a few of the bugs, making the entity territories work a bit better (Had anyone ever encountered a city where machine mades had taken up residence?  Hilarity ensues.  Not anymore, though!)  There are also some new creatures in the savage deserts (they will be Sarasaland) and you'll find occasional hint blocks which will give you advice in adventure mode.  Also, you can now get yoshi extract and red essence...but it ain't pretty.  Especially the red essence.

I've been experimenting with 'spawning' creatures, so next version may include piranha plant infestations in the caverns, courtesy of Naval Piranha.  Still working out how to keep it under control without sending your framerate into the underworld.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that DF allows for three seperate tropical forest biomes and three tropical swamp biomes.  Think it's a good idea to reserve one of each for some monkeys and crocodiles that arguably share the same 'verse?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2012, 12:23:46 am »

New update: Basically just touching up a few of the bugs, making the entity territories work a bit better (Had anyone ever encountered a city where machine mades had taken up residence?  Hilarity ensues.  Not anymore, though!)  There are also some new creatures in the savage deserts (they will be Sarasaland) and you'll find occasional hint blocks which will give you advice in adventure mode.  Also, you can now get yoshi extract and red essence...but it ain't pretty.  Especially the red essence.

I've been experimenting with 'spawning' creatures, so next version may include piranha plant infestations in the caverns, courtesy of Naval Piranha.  Still working out how to keep it under control without sending your framerate into the underworld.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that DF allows for three seperate tropical forest biomes and three tropical swamp biomes.  Think it's a good idea to reserve one of each for some monkeys and crocodiles that arguably share the same 'verse?

Ah, just when I think this mod couldn't get bigger you remind me of a whole spin-off series that you haven't gotten to yet. Considering the amount of stuff in this mod I'm looking forward to see how the next release of DF will handle it and all the neat new stories that will be generated thanks to the more robust and active world.

As for Kongs and Kremlins, invite them to the party. I'd like to see how they fit in. I for some reason think that Kremlins and Koopas wouldn't get along very well though.

Also it would be cool if Kongs produced Barrel Cannon parts that could be traded for. (Though that doesn't look likely because it doesn't look like you can mod in catapult like things.) Peanut Popguns might work though as a trade-able weapon. With peanuts being a crop that can be grown and processed into ammo (Though how would peanut seeds work as peanuts are the seed? Perhaps there could be two types of processing one for ammo and one for cracking the peanuts into 2 or 3 seeds). Other than that I can't see much trade coming from Kongs... granted a siege of Kongs mounted on Rhinos and the big-old-bird-thing-that-I-can't-spell (Spell check kept giving me Footbridges as a suggestion, wtf) would be awesome.

Actually, I can see both groups being pretty hefty forces in battle.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:12:53 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2012, 06:54:33 am »

I've been trying to figure this out, but how did you get the shyguy's to not require pants? There doesn't seem to be anything outside the fact that their civ does not have any listed. Tell me your secret! the ponies require non-awkward pantlessness!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2012, 11:53:37 am »

I've been trying to figure this out, but how did you get the shyguy's to not require pants? There doesn't seem to be anything outside the fact that their civ does not have any listed. Tell me your secret! the ponies require non-awkward pantlessness!

Well, you know how they say that the shyguy's face holds a secret?  Mwahaha...

The shyguys have a really weird body plan that just happens to look normal.  The key is that any part with the [LOWERBODY] tag will A. take pants and B. cause embarrassment if not covered, regardless of where on the body it actually is.  By leaving out this tag entirely from a body plan, creatures won't need pants, and by putting it elsewhere, you can make them get embarrassed about leaving other parts uncovered.  (For shyguys, the [LOWERBODY] tag is placed on their head, so they'll get embarrassed if they don't have masks.  They will also wear pants on their head if given the option, but since neither they nor their trading civs produce pants naturally this isn't a regular problem.  Besides, it's funny when it does happen.)

Short answer: To make creatures that don't need pants, create for them an entire new body plan and leave out the [LOWERBODY] tag from the lower body.  You will also need to include all lower body organs in this body plan, because the default ones use the [LOWERBODY] tag to determine where to connect. Unfortunately it is impossible to make creatures that don't need shirts, since every creature requires an [UPPERBODY] part.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:38 pm »

Lurker here, I un-lurked just so I could tell you this is awesome! Also, Goombas are baby snatchers, right? I say this due to the fact that each time their caravan leaves, I get spammed with messages saying they "kidnapped" the caged animals they didn't sell...another oddity I suppose. Also, to anyone playing as a Koopa, I haven't seen this myself but according to someone ELSE who made a reptile civ, the eggs laid by the female Koopas should hatch so long as she's married and nobody takes the eggs from the nest box. I say this because I was personally worried when I saw them just walk away to work after laying their eggs. Another thing, just wanna point out that, in canon, Bandits and their subclasses are technically a caste of Shy-Guys. At this point it's a bit late, but I just wanted to say that anyways. My first fort with this mod is going well, disabled invaders due to being a coward...I'll reactivate them once I'm ready to offer their souls to Great Demon King Koopa, as Bowser is known in Japan. Here's hoping someone with talent decides to love this, and make a graphics pack! I'm so confused, as long as I've played I've used Ironhand! Keep going strong, and awesome work so far!

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2012, 07:51:10 pm »

So I embarked with some spinies and goombas and they're all starving in my koopa fort and dehydrating. Is there some way to avoid them all dying?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2012, 01:58:08 am »

So I embarked with some spinies and goombas and they're all starving in my koopa fort and dehydrating. Is there some way to avoid them all dying?

Ah... they need an open water source (they won't drink from barrels).  Well, the goombas anyway, the spinies shouldn't need food.
I added the ability to have bob-omb and goomba 'slaves' so that koopa armies would show up with a mix of all three.  Since Koopas can't create their own water sources like the toads, you need to find some natural ones if you want to keep intelligent pets.

(P.S.: It's not worth it.  Goombas will eat your food, won't do work, and aren't great fighters.  And slaughtering them will cause unhappiness.  As for bob-ombs... well, 90% of the time their potential hazards outweigh their benefits.  They're there for flavor, not gameplay.)

Lurker here, I un-lurked just so I could tell you this is awesome! Also, Goombas are baby snatchers, right? I say this due to the fact that each time their caravan leaves, I get spammed with messages saying they "kidnapped" the caged animals they didn't sell...another oddity I suppose. Also, to anyone playing as a Koopa, I haven't seen this myself but according to someone ELSE who made a reptile civ, the eggs laid by the female Koopas should hatch so long as she's married and nobody takes the eggs from the nest box. I say this because I was personally worried when I saw them just walk away to work after laying their eggs. Another thing, just wanna point out that, in canon, Bandits and their subclasses are technically a caste of Shy-Guys. At this point it's a bit late, but I just wanted to say that anyways. My first fort with this mod is going well, disabled invaders due to being a coward...I'll reactivate them once I'm ready to offer their souls to Great Demon King Koopa, as Bowser is known in Japan. Here's hoping someone with talent decides to love this, and make a graphics pack! I'm so confused, as long as I've played I've used Ironhand! Keep going strong, and awesome work so far!

Thanks for the support!  Yeah, the bandit/shy guy thing was a discussion early on, but I eventually decided to separate them because they're often used differently, especially in later games.  In this mod, bandits are more aggressive, and shy guys are more built for out-of-sight mischief. (in the next update, both will have separate special abilities in adventure mode, once I can work out how to deal with adventure mode's wacky timing).
I actually like DF's simplistic style, but a graphics pack would be pretty cool.  Especially now that I seem to be running out of Ks.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2012, 06:32:56 pm »

I like Shy Guys the most, any chance you can give them a bit more variety?  I'm interested in this special ability of yours, but it would be cool if you could give their coffins a reaction to summon Boo Guys, as a semi-citizen pet like Yoshis.  Granted, being able to summon undead minions would change the game due to how tough they are and the OTHER problems with DF undead, but it would be neat.  Maybe you could just tweak standard DF ghosts, which sometimes are so happy they have been known to organize parties?  What would also be neat, is giving them their own flying caste, such as the Beezo, which is a Shy Guy with dragonfly wings.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Beezo
Also, could you tweak their fat to make it a sort-of armor?  It would be a good way to sort-of add the Fat Guy caste, without ACTUALLY making a caste.  Also, when Bowser was a baby, his army consisted almost entirely of Shy Guys, so having a way to patch relations between his new minions and the ones who kept him from being eaten by sentient dinosaurs as a newborn would be kind of awesome.  Now to get back to slowly building a stony fortress from the ground up...my Koopas' eggs failed to hatch, even those belonging to married women who had layed them roughly one year ago...cooking them up, hopefully the next batch works!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2012, 10:42:26 pm »

yeah I've never seen a clutch of koopa eggs ever successfully hatch either, it seems that even if they leave to eat or drink then the eggs fail.  Tried giving female koopas, no eat, no drink, and then locking them in a room with only a nest box did work.
Nom nom nom

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2012, 03:08:49 am »

I like Shy Guys the most, any chance you can give them a bit more variety?  I'm interested in this special ability of yours, but it would be cool if you could give their coffins a reaction to summon Boo Guys, as a semi-citizen pet like Yoshis.  Granted, being able to summon undead minions would change the game due to how tough they are and the OTHER problems with DF undead, but it would be neat.  Maybe you could just tweak standard DF ghosts, which sometimes are so happy they have been known to organize parties?  What would also be neat, is giving them their own flying caste, such as the Beezo, which is a Shy Guy with dragonfly wings.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Beezo
Also, could you tweak their fat to make it a sort-of armor?  It would be a good way to sort-of add the Fat Guy caste, without ACTUALLY making a caste.  Also, when Bowser was a baby, his army consisted almost entirely of Shy Guys, so having a way to patch relations between his new minions and the ones who kept him from being eaten by sentient dinosaurs as a newborn would be kind of awesome.  Now to get back to slowly building a stony fortress from the ground up...my Koopas' eggs failed to hatch, even those belonging to married women who had layed them roughly one year ago...cooking them up, hopefully the next batch works!

The boo guy idea won't work - undead don't really do much good in fort mode (they'll attack everyone).  I gave it to the Koopas because it's kind of a tradition of theirs but it's a virtually useless reaction.  As for beezos, I've considered it... but flying castes are more of an annoyance than a help in fortress mode (they tend to get stuck on roofs), and we've already got a few fliers in adventure.  Again, I only gave it to the Koopas because it's a long-standing tradition of theirs.  Armor-like fat, though, could work - something that will make a shy guy with a description like 'he is amazingly fat' would be significantly harder to kill.  Unfortunately it would be really hard to test, because arena-spawned creatures are always trim.
I like shy guys the best too - they were pretty much designed to be the most !!fun!! race to play as.  The truth is though, they're kind of a cheat mode at this point - the costs of laziness, being slightly undersized, and poor organization don't really outweigh the ability to produce anything without limit and reach legendary levels in any skill in about 20 minutes.  It says something when I have to give them a reaction that serves no purpose except to make more armies attack you.  I have been thinking of giving them some extra traits to make them more of a challenge - what I'm working with now is making it so they throw REALLY wild parties - so that making them TOO HAPPY can become a hazard.
As for shy guy/koopa relations... well, we'll have to see what the next update to DF brings, presumably it'll allow for more complex international relations.  For now, though, it's impossible.
The next update is mainly focused on adventure mode, though.  Night creatures and stuff.  Possibly will add some things in the underworld too... (I've been reading up on the Thousand-Year Door, which I've never actually played...its story really meshes quite well with DF's hard-coded settings, doesn't it?)
I'll look into the koopa egg problem.  Has anyone else made a functioning egg-laying playable race, or is it a hard-coded issue?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2012, 04:07:38 am »

Have you concidered making a Toad-friendly koopa civ?
I mean, according to the paper mario games, not every koopa are evil.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2012, 04:11:53 am »

The civilizations themselves are babysnatchers, but you'll find friendly koopas, goombas, etc. in adventure mode.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 28, 2012, 04:19:08 am »

The civilizations themselves are babysnatchers, but you'll find friendly koopas, goombas, etc. in adventure mode.

Ah, ok.

Another question.. If I were to play as I normally do in DF with cave dwelling alcoholics..
Which of these races here are best suited for cave adapting?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 28, 2012, 05:23:49 am »

Another question.. If I were to play as I normally do in DF with cave dwelling alcoholics..
Which of these races here are best suited for cave adapting?

The koopa playstyle feels the most similar to dwarves overall (dig, produce food, forge armor and weapons, fight off enemies, increase fortress value), although if you want them to live in caves note that they will have minor speed handicaps for their first year underground until they become cave adapted.  Only shy guys can live in caves with no handicaps, but their unique production abilities and lack of nobles means that their playstyle will start to feel very different later in the game (or within the first two minutes if you rush to make a Subspace Portal).  None of the races are alchohol dependent, and all will have to deal with tougher and more frequent enemies than you'll typically find in vanilla DF.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62