Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 256931 times)

The Royal Plumber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet
« Reply #900 on: April 03, 2023, 06:33:20 pm »

Alright, so I've uploaded what I've got so far for the Stonesense graphics pack.

It can be found here

This is still a work in progress, most creatures are included but a lot still need to be worked on some more. There are definitely some graphical issues, especially with the trees. Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated, I would really love to see how other people's fortresses look with this graphics pack.

zeddy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 18, 2024, 02:48:21 pm »

Hello! I was wondering if there’s any file changes I can make to make this mod function on 47.05. Currently when making a world any world bigger then the smallest setting seems to crash after 50 years. I just wanted to know as this mod seems really fun and I’d love to play it with all the additions of the villians release!

P.S. I do not know why it crashes. I’ve tried removing a few civs to see if that fixes it but it hasn’t worked so far

Hello, Elf Lord! Recently, I had a similar thought process to you and decided to look into it myself. The answer seems to be... Yes! there are a few small changes you can make to make this mod work on v47.05.

The world-gen crashes seem to be primarily caused by races with [NO_EAT] & fish cleaning labor enabled. Removing that fixes one of the biggest crashes.

There are some other things that should be updated too... I've actually recently made an UNOFFICIAL!!! update of the mod for v0.47.05 of DF, which I have uploaded on my Gitlab here https://gitlab.com/zeddy1267/ROTMK_47.05

The readme goes over all of the changes I've made to the mod. Most of it is various crash fixes, but there's also some new bonus content.

I've never actually modded DF before, nor have I even played the ROTMK mod (outside of testing for this update), so I can't make any promises about this unofficial update. Everything I've found out was via excessive brute forcetm, as well as some insight from the folks over on Reddit. However I do plan on playing it soon, I just need to relearn the older DF UI lol.

I also absolutely DID NOT get permission from IndigoFenix. So consider this reply as me asking for permission. If you want, I will absolutely take this down. Otherwise, I will assume the existence of this update to be endorsed (but still unofficial).

I just wanted this mod to be available on v47.05, as it's the final and most supported version of DF classic, so it feels like a good resting version for the update to be on, especially how RotMK is getting a major rework.

& Finally, Elf Lord, I'm not entirely against the idea of working together to maintain this update. I'm not sure if you'll even see this message (this is my first time on DF forums, IDK how this place fully works!), but HMU if you're interested.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #902 on: April 21, 2024, 11:23:31 am »

Hello! I was wondering if there’s any file changes I can make to make this mod function on 47.05. Currently when making a world any world bigger then the smallest setting seems to crash after 50 years. I just wanted to know as this mod seems really fun and I’d love to play it with all the additions of the villians release!

P.S. I do not know why it crashes. I’ve tried removing a few civs to see if that fixes it but it hasn’t worked so far

Hello, Elf Lord! Recently, I had a similar thought process to you and decided to look into it myself. The answer seems to be... Yes! there are a few small changes you can make to make this mod work on v47.05.

The world-gen crashes seem to be primarily caused by races with [NO_EAT] & fish cleaning labor enabled. Removing that fixes one of the biggest crashes.

There are some other things that should be updated too... I've actually recently made an UNOFFICIAL!!! update of the mod for v0.47.05 of DF, which I have uploaded on my Gitlab here https://gitlab.com/zeddy1267/ROTMK_47.05

The readme goes over all of the changes I've made to the mod. Most of it is various crash fixes, but there's also some new bonus content.

I've never actually modded DF before, nor have I even played the ROTMK mod (outside of testing for this update), so I can't make any promises about this unofficial update. Everything I've found out was via excessive brute forcetm, as well as some insight from the folks over on Reddit. However I do plan on playing it soon, I just need to relearn the older DF UI lol.

I also absolutely DID NOT get permission from IndigoFenix. So consider this reply as me asking for permission. If you want, I will absolutely take this down. Otherwise, I will assume the existence of this update to be endorsed (but still unofficial).

I just wanted this mod to be available on v47.05, as it's the final and most supported version of DF classic, so it feels like a good resting version for the update to be on, especially how RotMK is getting a major rework.

& Finally, Elf Lord, I'm not entirely against the idea of working together to maintain this update. I'm not sure if you'll even see this message (this is my first time on DF forums, IDK how this place fully works!), but HMU if you're interested.

Dude.. you're awesome!

zeddy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 23, 2024, 10:39:28 am »

Dude.. you're awesome!

Hey, you get some of the credit too. it was your words of discouragement that inspired me!

A big mod like this will probably take a while to update. I don't even think Indigo even has this mod still on his radar.

I was like "wtf how cool would it be to do this daunting task with 0 prior experience!" It maybe wasn't the smartest idea I've ever had, but it's also not the craziest idea I've had.

Still, I can't guaranteed everything in the mod works. I've fixed every crash I've encountered, & even cleaned up a lot of the errorlog.txt spam that exists in the mod even on the intended version, & I've even tested various mechanics, like seeing if you could ride Yoshi's in adventure mode (as riding is a new mechanic of v47), but all of this was surface level testing.

Can't guarantee there wont be any issues down the line. If you encounter something wrong, please report the issue on the gitlab page for my update!

Hell, there was even a crash that seemingly ONLY affected the Linux version of DF which I fixed (involving the pakkun megabeast). This crash is present in the latest update of ROTMK, meaning that this mod was seemingly unplayable on Linux altogether. I've not tested my update on Windows DF, so there's a chance that there might be some crashes that only affect Windows DF that I never experienced.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #904 on: April 23, 2024, 04:31:10 pm »

I haven't played ROTMK for years, but I'll might try a game this weekend when I'm not busy. I'm happy I somehow contributed to the revival, even with how small lol.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #905 on: June 07, 2024, 07:00:35 am »

It seems people really want this mod to come back, so here's the story:

The main reason that I stopped working on this mod is due to an accumulation of bizarre bugs that were just taking too much time to deal with, and I wanted to focus on other projects.

The latest version has been on Steam for a while: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2956037558&tscn=1717282403

However, it doesn't really work. Worldgen crashes a lot and there are some weird RAW parsing bugs that don't make any sense.

If someone is able to clear up the bugs and get it working, I'll be able to touch it up in my free time and bring the next version out.

zeddy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 09, 2024, 03:12:32 am »

It seems people really want this mod to come back, so here's the story:

The main reason that I stopped working on this mod is due to an accumulation of bizarre bugs that were just taking too much time to deal with, and I wanted to focus on other projects.

The latest version has been on Steam for a while: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2956037558&tscn=1717282403

However, it doesn't really work. Worldgen crashes a lot and there are some weird RAW parsing bugs that don't make any sense.

If someone is able to clear up the bugs and get it working, I'll be able to touch it up in my free time and bring the next version out.

Check out the fixes section of the readme of my ROTMK v47 update. This may have some insights to some (and if we're lucky, all) of the problems with v50 ROTMK.

Yes, there seems to be some weird RAW parsing bugs. Some of the bug fixes I did (such as the ROTMK sockop tallow thing) were achieved by simply re-ordering the RAW file... which is uh, weird.

In the case of my unofficial update, I just moved the problematic creatures to the end of the RAW and it fixed the problem. This might work for v50 too(?). It's not a great solution, because it's really just a workaround for whatever the actual problem may be... but IMO it's worth trying.

Anyways, I'm taking this as a sign that you're OK with my unofficial v47 update? You haven't said no yet :P

I'd totally try and apply my bug fixes to v50 ROTMK myself... but as mentioned in my earlier replies, I really have no experience with DF modding. Furthermore, I have no interest in playing v50 ROTMK (without graphics), and ROTMK v50 also is a LOOOT different than v44, so I'd need to relearn a lot of it. I do have some familiarity with latest ROTMK, since I did backport some stuff to my update. HOWEVER anyone else is free to try using information from my fan update, & anyone is free to ask me any questions about it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 03:22:32 am by zeddy »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #907 on: June 14, 2024, 03:45:39 am »

Anyways, I'm taking this as a sign that you're OK with my unofficial v47 update? You haven't said no yet :P

As in, the pre-Steam version? Yeah, I doubt I'll come back to that one. There's been a LOT of changes, so whenever I do get the chance to work on this mod again it'll be based on the new version.

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 16, 2024, 12:28:51 pm »

As in, the pre-Steam version? Yeah, I doubt I'll come back to that one. There's been a LOT of changes, so whenever I do get the chance to work on this mod again it'll be based on the new version.

I'm so glad to see you post here today c:
I was just coming by to say that this mod is too great to let go, since it seemed as though you may have gone silent. (I am new to the scene though, so it's just from what I could read)

I know some folks have already offered, but just in case I'd like to add myself: I know how to code and do sprite art, though I have no experience modding Dwarf Fortress. If there's anything I could do to help you maintain/update this work (now for the Steam version I see), I would be honored and eager to do so.

Otherwise, this is a brilliant mod and I wish you the best of luck and happiness in its development. Thanks so much for making it!

And also I want to say thanks to Zeddy for making it playable on v47. Thanks to you I got to play it in the first place ^_^
I likewise would extend my hand to you if there's anything I could do to work with you if you decide to continue your own development on RotMK.

You both are legends.

ps: I've been doing a little bit of googling, but if anyone has a reccomended source for learning how to mod DF I would gladly look at it to learn better.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 12:30:25 pm by Haiphong »

Elf Lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 17, 2024, 03:41:06 pm »

[/quote] Know I’m a bit late here as well, but I’d totally be down to help!

Haiphong

• Bay Watcher
  • I... Wot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 21, 2024, 09:31:53 am »

I've learned a lot about modding DF in the last few days.
I'm going to start my efforts at fixing up this mod for Steam.

I'd really like to try those graphics Sir Shadow worked on, I hope he's about!

Back in v47, I was thinking that there were just way too many civs and it overcomplicated things. I think Fenix might have been on a similar train of thought, as I see way less.
So... Yeah! If anyone has ideas they've gotten from looking over these, I'd love to see them. Maybe we can revive this project yet?

(I know graphics are a last priority but... I have ADHD and I like to see pretty pictures on my monitor it helps me feel good)

Indigofenix, is there any way I could talk to you sometime about your design for this mod?
I'd really like if I could take notes on things like; how Humans come into the game "later" and what they are doing before then, and just general interactions between civilizations and what such varieties of items do. Basically how things are intended to work. It would help me out both as a player and a hopeful modder working on this project on the side.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 11:26:53 am by Haiphong »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]