Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 61

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 257335 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Major Update! Version 0.1)
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2012, 03:35:34 pm »

I wasn't really sure what to do about Clubbas/Spikes.  The Koopas already have a caravan per main season, and they aren't really meant to be trade-oriented.  I was considering putting them in as intelligent pets (kind of like the Yoshis are to Toads), or perhaps an underground civ.

Could have a pet version that comes in both Spike and Clubba forms, and have the underground civ basicly function like a function-swaped version of the Piantas. ( More powerful in the dark, gets sick in light, physicly powerful, and generaly a pain in the rear for most of the fort's life until you get some realy good metal's poping out of the forges.)

You can't use their body parts if you slaughter them though.  Unless I make the Toads sapient-eaters.  (Which would actually be kind of an interesting twist.  They are fungi, after all...)

Huh, would that cause some conflicts with ethics, tho? ( Actualy, one must wonder what primorial ooze the forests of Giant Mushrooms are growing on.)
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:48 pm »

You can't use their body parts if you slaughter them though.  Unless I make the Toads sapient-eaters.  (Which would actually be kind of an interesting twist.  They are fungi, after all...)

Huh, would that cause some conflicts with ethics, tho? ( Actualy, one must wonder what primorial ooze the forests of Giant Mushrooms are growing on.)

Not if everyone else is more-or-less okay with it too...

Dare to explore the possible darker implications of the Mushroom World.  The Toads are a morally-crippled servant race that needs to designate an arbitrary individual as their 'hero' so they have someone to believe in, the Koopas are reptiles ruled over by an uncaring and perpetually demanding demon king that builds massive fortresses out of its turtle-like instinct to construct a protective shell around itself, and the Shy Guys are anarchist reality-warping children from another universe who are effectively trying to turn the world into a set of building blocks to play with.  Why shouldn't everyone be cannibals as well?  The Yoshis certainly have no qualms about devouring their sapient enemies...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2012, 05:34:38 pm »

I'm gonna guess half of the new plants need irrigation?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2012, 06:03:18 pm »

No plants need irrigation, ever. It's impossible to require that.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2012, 06:18:32 pm »

By irrigation I mean mud.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »

They don't need mud, either. Soil is the only thing required.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2012, 06:30:04 pm »

Huh. Then why can I only grow Sugarcane, Wheat, Fuzzbushes, and Chunkola fruit?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:40:32 pm by Vgray »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »

Those all sound above-ground, to me. I'm not sure which ones are above or below ground. Try starting an underground farm (you don't need mud for that either, just soil BTW)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2012, 06:46:17 pm »

Tried that early on. I have seeds for apples, bananas, peaches, grapes, watermelons melons, peppers, mango's, and turtle bushes. Not sure on that last one.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »

It also depends on the climate of the local embark, for instance if you embarked in a cold climate, you'll never be able to grow banana's, on the other hand there is also things you can not grow in hot climates.
Nom nom nom

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2012, 07:44:52 pm »

It also depends on the climate of the local embark, for instance if you embarked in a cold climate, you'll never be able to grow banana's, on the other hand there is also things you can not grow in hot climates.

Ah. My embark is cold. I only realized that after I embarked. I bet even the summers are chilly for my poor toads.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2012, 08:58:49 am »

Yeah, the new plants are much more biome-dependent than the vanilla ones (they are all above-ground, although there are a few such as mushrooms that will grow below ground too).  Besides being limited to tropical or temperate climates, there are some plants that will only grow in forests, others only on plains, etc.  I did that so that different races which live in different areas could bring different kinds of plants, increasing the incentive to engage in the trading of consumables.  Since you can also cook many of the new plants into more valuable forms, especially once you have cake mix available, it opens up a buy food/cook food/resell food trading game.

On an semi-related note... for some reason, Toads won't drink the frog drinks, and I don't think they drink milk either.  They will use them for cooking if it's the only thing available, but then they won't eat the cooked food.  What gives?  Is there something that makes creatures refuse to eat animal extracts specifically?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2012, 11:14:47 am »

Do Max/Mid Mushrooms function as normal food? Is there any reason not to have your entire fortress live off of max mushrooms and as a side effect have really high recuperation or whatever they do?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2012, 11:31:32 am »

I forget what my embark is. I know that it's "Heavily Forested".

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:43 pm »

Do Max/Mid Mushrooms function as normal food? Is there any reason not to have your entire fortress live off of max mushrooms and as a side effect have really high recuperation or whatever they do?

They work as normal food.  The only real downside of most powerup foods is that they have a long growth period and limited available growing locations and seasons, so farming them as staple crops could be a challenge.  Also, some rare powerups (like 1Up Mushrooms) have no seeds and can't be farmed at all, only gathered or bought.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 61