Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 61

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 257225 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Major Update! Version 0.1)
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2012, 09:45:39 am »

Quick question. What does your hero actually do? Apart from being your villages own personal Mario.

Well, he's allowed to have his own squad, but the main reason he's there is to boost the morale of all the other Toads (they almost all enjoy talking to nobles in general, plus he has the 'raise morale' job).  He's the 'pillar of society' that makes the Toads feel ecstatic despite having slept in the grass, being caught in the rain, and suffered 'minor' injuries like having an arm ripped off (still scratching my head over that particular oddity).

Hmm, I am realy likeing this mod. Plenty of interesting stuff ( just found a few ghosts, as in Boo's), and the new races are thought-out. Actualy, I wish to submit a suggestion for a race: Mousers are desert-folk, realy only notworthy for there high birth rate and there willingness to steal. However, for those that are not in a conflict with them, they bring both cloth and steel in equal amounts, which could be a savoir of shyguy's who are struggeling. Also have lemons and limes, who's uniqe taste ( matiral value) is enjoyed by everyone.

That's a good idea, but will item thieves ally with other item thief races in the same way that babysnatchers ally with each other?  I haven't actually tested this.  If so, I'll put it in - shy guys are going to be in serious need of allies with all the enemies they're going to have.

I'm planning on adding a whole bunch of new races, but organizing them is tricky.  My plan is to have one new race per season show up to trade with the Toads with every new fortress level (of which there are 3), meaning 9 trading races in total (not counting Bumpties in the winter).  Some of them should attack the Koopas and Shy Guys as well.  The problem is trying to balance out their active seasons (since the season they trade will also be the season they attack, although it doesn't have to be at the same fortress level) while at the same time making them come in a suitable season.

So something like this, but it'll probably need to be changed...

SpringSummerAutumn
Level 1Nokis (tropical ocean products)Beans (weapons/armor)Toads (clothing and food)
Level 2Bub-Ulbs (good-region fruits)Frogs (special powerups)Moles (mining equipment)
Level 3Tanookis? (no idea)Piantas (exotic pets/tropical fruit)Doogans? (no idea)

Any suggestions?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:07 am »

How would that work? Would you only get one of each type per season or have multiple caravans a season?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2012, 11:51:21 am »

How would that work? Would you only get one of each type per season or have multiple caravans a season?

You can have as many caravans per season as you want.  They'll all go to the same depot and you select which one to trade with when you open up the trading screen.  You can also be attacked by multiple armies at once.  With this many races, it could get pretty crazy.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2012, 12:31:09 pm »

Just a thought, but if this mod is going to share its title with a certain rather good Newgrounds animation series (first part here), I think you should follow its creator's example and make the Toads at least moderately badass.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2012, 01:46:10 pm »

Just one more question. Will having cellars harm my toads at all? My warehouse/kitchen/dining hall has a cellar for food. And I'm considering giving each toad his/her own cellar. Only my woodworker has her own house. I just wish she would marry the woodcutter already. Makes my job easier. Less houses.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »

Just a thought, but if this mod is going to share its title with a certain rather good Newgrounds animation series (first part here), I think you should follow its creator's example and make the Toads at least moderately badass.

Well done!  Yeah, that series was actually part of the inspiration for this mod - the Mushroom Kingdom at full-out war.  I'd like to figure out a way to make the Toads tougher without them losing character.  They get pulled apart way too easily in this version, I think.

Just one more question. Will having cellars harm my toads at all? My warehouse/kitchen/dining hall has a cellar for food. And I'm considering giving each toad his/her own cellar. Only my woodworker has her own house. I just wish she would marry the woodcutter already. Makes my job easier. Less houses.

Cellars are no problem.  You can even make occasional trips to the cavern layers to gather plants or find water, as long as your main meeting/working areas are above ground.  And even if you do pass the limit, the effect isn't permanent, just give them a little time to rest above ground and they'll be fine.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2012, 03:55:02 pm »

Thanks. I just hope I don't run out of wood. It's only been two seasons and my embark is already an Elfs nightmare. I have a secret. The only Mario game I've ever played is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Unless you count Mario Cart.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:53 pm »

Hmm, I am realy likeing this mod. Plenty of interesting stuff ( just found a few ghosts, as in Boo's), and the new races are thought-out. Actualy, I wish to submit a suggestion for a race: Mousers are desert-folk, realy only notworthy for there high birth rate and there willingness to steal. However, for those that are not in a conflict with them, they bring both cloth and steel in equal amounts, which could be a savoir of shyguy's who are struggeling. Also have lemons and limes, who's uniqe taste ( matiral value) is enjoyed by everyone.

That's a good idea, but will item thieves ally with other item thief races in the same way that babysnatchers ally with each other?  I haven't actually tested this.  If so, I'll put it in - shy guys are going to be in serious need of allies with all the enemies they're going to have.

I do belive so: my last personal mod had two such item thieves in such a relationship.

Also, for desert-dwellers, there are actualy creatures called Bandits who, well, act as bandits. Not sure if they would best fit as the closest thing to a traditinal 'bold-goblin mix or a stand-alown creature wandering around in desert boimes, but there worth looking up on.
In hindsight, the Paper Mario series could fuel this thing for a long, long time.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:42 pm »

I think bandits are actually from Yoshi's Island >_>

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2012, 09:20:02 pm »

... I thought those guys where Shy Guys.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:55:52 pm by Pokon »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2012, 09:07:29 am »

So item thieves do ally, and therefore I am adding in two new thieving races as Shy Guy allies: Bandits and Squeeks (Little Mousers?  Nomadimice?  I chose Squeeks 'cause it sounds slightly less awkward).  I'm not sure what they should carry though.  I guess Squeeks can carry clothes, because Bandit clothes would be too big, and Bandits can carry...something else.  Metals maybe?  Baseball bats?

Piantas and Nokis are in.  Piantas will attack Koopas sometimes.  I've got an idea that they'll carry no weapons but they'll be extremely strong... but only above ground.  'Cause photosynthesis.  And they like the sun.  I'm not sure if that will work though, can enemy invaders be affected by cave adaptation triggers?  I don't suppose anyone would know the answer to that one...

Doogans are also in, and they'll also be an attacking race.  I don't really know much about them though, any ideas of what would be appropriate for them to carry or do?  Do they have a distinct kind of personality?  (Never played any of the PM games except the first, and the wiki doesn't say much about them).

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2012, 12:32:03 pm »

Squeeks could have both fine cloth and Lemons and Limes (both vaulable food items) while Bandits could presumably supply others with weak-ish metals. Honestly, they seem like the sort that Shyguy players will trap there caravans and use the guards as extra security before they go insane.

Doogans have nice stuff ( could they sell some sort of magical "badge" item's that give boosts? Not sure if that would work.), but they also make up a large part of the thugs around the main hub.

Also, Clubba's are a good choice for Koopa alies. Presumably, they have several big growth spurts thruout there lives, hence gigantic Bowser-like individuals alongside normal-sized ones. Presumably, the traditinal spiked ball on a stick weapon would be using the Mace item catagory, and would be powerful-ish. Might be exportable.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:36:48 pm by Pokon »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2012, 03:10:59 pm »

I wasn't really sure what to do about Clubbas/Spikes.  The Koopas already have a caravan per main season, and they aren't really meant to be trade-oriented.  I was considering putting them in as intelligent pets (kind of like the Yoshis are to Toads), or perhaps an underground civ.

Think I should take HUNTS_VERMIN off of Yoshis?  I've found that if they don't have that tag, they'll eat from barrels just like a regular civ member, which means they could get powerups from food (they could still GOBBLE_VERMIN that they come across, they just won't actively chase them).  They could be like non-working but more combat-capable ally/pets that way, and they multiply really fast if you let their eggs hatch (there's a bug in the current version where the babies will just wander aimlessly and die of thirst, but I've got it fixed for the next release).  You can't use their body parts if you slaughter them though.  Unless I make the Toads sapient-eaters.  (Which would actually be kind of an interesting twist.  They are fungi, after all...)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 61