Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265463 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - Update 0.35: Reclaim the Alchemic Mysteries
« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2013, 02:47:45 pm »

Just started my first Shy Guy fort. I liked the naming of the professions, but when I saw the noble's title I lost it. That's hilarious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For anyone interested I put my Stonesense sprites up here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8128
There's not a lot, but there's enough to make for some decent screenshots.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #406 on: November 12, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »

Just started my first Shy Guy fort. I liked the naming of the professions, but when I saw the noble's title I lost it. That's hilarious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For anyone interested I put my Stonesense sprites up here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8128
There's not a lot, but there's enough to make for some decent screenshots.

Originally, the Shy Guys weren't going to have any nobles at first, but then I found that not having someone to meet with diplomats causes all kinds of problems - since the outpost liasion leaves immediately after arriving, migrants never show up.  Since he's only there on a technicality, he's nobody in particular, he's just...that guy.

I'll put the Stonesense sprites on the front page.  Which, looking at it now, is in great need of updating.

Feldrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2013, 10:27:52 am »

Was the Letter from the kingdom capital or whatever taken out? I just keep getting the standard "Dwarves strike the Earth!" message on embark.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2013, 04:55:59 pm »

Was the Letter from the kingdom capital or whatever taken out? I just keep getting the standard "Dwarves strike the Earth!" message on embark.

It shouldn't be.  Did you remember to overwrite the default data/announcement folder?

Feldrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 14, 2013, 11:32:15 pm »

Ah, No I did not. They were all named the same so I thought not to mess with it...

Edit*

Thanks that seems to have fixed it. One thing I've noticed though is that whenever I start a new Koopa or Toad fort the entire civ seems to have raw umber skin. Not really a big deal but the consistency is kind of funny. This has happened to every world I gen.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:09:13 pm by Feldrain »

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:27 am »

Ah, No I did not. They were all named the same so I thought not to mess with it...

Edit*

Thanks that seems to have fixed it. One thing I've noticed though is that whenever I start a new Koopa or Toad fort the entire civ seems to have raw umber skin. Not really a big deal but the consistency is kind of funny. This has happened to every world I gen.

The skin color is probably a coincidence as unlikely as that sounds. Also a civ will have a tendency to either be all one color scheme or a consistent blend of many. There's no middle ground (ie like two color schemes or same skin and several different cap colors).

Its one of those weird things you notice even in vanilla DF, if you use Stonesense enough. I know it has something to do with how the colors are genetically passed down (which is pretty simplistically modeled from what I hear). Supposedly, given enough time every civ will boil itself down to a single color scheme. Interestingly, the starting seven seem to somehow get their colors chosen based on their parent civ's genetics... so if the starting seven are all uniform you can generally bet most of your migrants will match. The only wrinkle in this logic is I don't know if different civs of the same species pull from the same genetic pool. So it might be that the entire race could be uniform and not just the civ.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 17, 2013, 05:35:17 pm »

I like the new guide. Makes some things a lot easier.

Edit: Nevermind got the sprites to go.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:05:51 am by Asra »

Feldrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 17, 2013, 06:55:51 pm »

I like the new guide. Makes some things a lot easier.

By the way, has anyone else been able to get the old sprite sheet to work? Or is it too out of date by this point?

Works fine for me.

Also just got back from my latest Shyguy fort. At embark I saw that Sockops were just one point a piece, and I thought "Hey, that's like free food." So I buy 10 of them( 5 males, 5 females). As it turns out, Sockops are too small to return any meat and they are sentient and need food and water to survive. That, however, was not the fun part. Sockops  secrete digestive fluids ( The game say they secrete, personally I like to think they spill their contents as they waddle around), at first I thought this did nothing and was just for fluff. My Shyguys were fine so.. Well then I got the message "Stray Arachne has bled to death". Turns out the only reason my Shyguy's were fine was because they were wearing shoes. My livestock however was not nearly so lucky. Fun times.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 18, 2013, 08:31:44 am »

Yeah, some of the creatures in this mod can have some fun surprises for the unprepared.  I mentioned chomps because of their extreme level of usefulness as well as danger but there are plenty of others, and shy guys can be a bit of a crapshoot because they can have access to any of them.  Besides sockops, I'd suggest watching out for fuzzies (bloodsuckers), geckos and wigglers (can sometimes attack allies when fighting) podoboos (made of magma), and anything that can breathe fire.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2013, 12:06:51 am »

Oh so fuzzies can attack my Shy Guys or the domestic animals I have them penned with?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 19, 2013, 03:13:07 am »

No, but if you let them roam free they might suck someone's blood while they're sleeping.  At least they should - I'm not actually sure how the game handles non-sapient vampires.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 19, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »

I absolutely love the writing that's in the guide alone, just the writing of Kamek the Elder and the rest just seem so interesting, makes me sad to see it end. Almost would be a wonderful fiction to read.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 19, 2013, 10:27:23 pm »

I absolutely love the writing that's in the guide alone, just the writing of Kamek the Elder and the rest just seem so interesting, makes me sad to see it end. Almost would be a wonderful fiction to read.

Yeah, I agree with that. I actually meant to just give it a quick glance and ended reading the whole thing in one sitting.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 20, 2013, 05:21:50 am »

No, but if you let them roam free they might suck someone's blood while they're sleeping.  At least they should - I'm not actually sure how the game handles non-sapient vampires.
So they're sort of like a species of vampires? Is it by any chance contagious? I'll have to check by stuffing some fuzzies in my shy guy's water supply on top of some spikes.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:38 am »

No, they just have the BLOODSUCKER tag that controls vampire behavior (sneaking into rooms when people are sleeping and draining their blood) naturally.  The only problem is that vampire behavior is complex and it might take more than just slapping the tag onto a critter.  For example, my Plump Helmet Men suck blood if they are not in a pasture, but won't be stopped if they are 'caught'.  Fuzzies might have different behavior, I haven't figured out all the details.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 62