Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265440 times)

ZubatZubatZubat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I genned a world not long ago, and the ages kept shifting between "Swamp Titan and Great Dragon" and "Three Powers".

The Third Power was ALWAYS a Smith King, and every time, the new Smith King would be killed by the exact same Belome.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile

Well I guess the final battle would have been much easier if we recruited Belome then....
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - Update 0.34: Monster Making and Shyguy Slots
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2013, 09:29:50 am »

Update time!

This update brings a whole bunch of changes, I'm not going to even remember them all.  But let's get an overview:

Koopas can now manufacture monsters in the Mystic Hatchery.  To make it work, you'll need to produce a 'potion of life' at the Magikoopa Sanctum, which, when drunk, will cause a Koopa to produce a 'monster egg corpse'.  This must be deposited next to the Mystic Hatchery and can then be used to spawn one of many different monsters, ranging from Shellcreepers to Podoboos (careful with that last one!)  The spawning reaction is free, though the potion itself will drain a magic gem to produce.  Be warned, spawned creatures may be hostile at first, so be sure to deposit the egg inside a room surrounded by cage traps before running the spawning reaction.  (Creatures can be spawned through walls.)

Koopas can also create a 'shell workshop' that lets them improve their shells in various ways.

As for Shyguys, they now can make a slot machine which allows them to gamble shining coins for subspace potions or various other items (mostly just regular plants though.)  The more coins you deposit at once, the better the chance of getting a potion.  Subspace potions are required to produce a subspace portal, which should last about a season.  Subspace furniture is no longer seizure-inducing colors, but is instead a simple white.  It will still fade away over time, but as long as they exist you can set them up to improve the value of your fortress and the mood of your shyguys.  Or you can look for blocks, which will produce distinctive magenta-colored mushroom blocks that will let you construct large structures easily.  Basically shyguys are more normal to play as now, you can't rely on subspace to produce everything but it'll be useful when it does show up.

Some other changes:
Cavern layers each have a new, distinctive look - SMB2-3-style green grass for the top, classic blue for the middle, and dark purple for the bottom.
Various creature behavior has been improved.  Monty moles leave dirt behind when they burrow, geckos no longer kill each other before you even see them, Arachnes will show up, ? blocks will appear.  Also some new creatures have been added.  Watch out for food-stealing buzzbee swarms!
Ztars have been added.  Every time you put a broken power star back together, it has the potential of producing a ztar as well.  Ztars are heavy, useless, and actually have a negative value (exactly the opposite of a single Power Star), so they'll lower the value of your fortress unless you can get rid of them.  Atomsmashers should help.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 11, 2013, 07:47:31 pm »

This is quite possibly one of the best ideas that I have ever learned.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2013, 07:54:16 pm »

When you trade a Ztar do merchants think they are getting a raw deal?

ZubatZubatZubat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 11, 2013, 11:18:47 pm »

The shyguy nerf seems a little excessive, do they still have no managers/brokers/bookkeepers?

Edit: Shining coins drop from enemies, right?

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 12, 2013, 12:47:44 am »

no longer seizure-inducing colors
My response.
As for Koopas, now you just need to hack in technically-living dry bones using a FATAL magic potion...or something.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 12, 2013, 02:05:49 am »

I'll miss the seizures, though on the plus side I won't end up dying as Shy Guys because I'm too busy collecting and using doors to get only a certain color of block. Well, at least I won't be using it as much. It reminds me of my first real Shy Guy fortress where I didn't realize until during a siege that I had used imaginary mechanisms in my draw bridge.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 12, 2013, 12:51:30 pm »

Merchants won't take a Ztar even if you give it to them for free.  It actually has negative value, you have to give them some other valuables just to get them to accept it... and even then, it's so ridiculously heavy that they probably won't be able to carry it.  Atom-smashing is the best solution.

The shyguy nerf seems a little excessive, do they still have no managers/brokers/bookkeepers?

Hm, maybe I should add in some other nobles for shyguys.  Nothing too big, but at least enough to make things simpler.  The shyguy game is going to be changed quite a bit in the future (while retaining the same basic theme), I'm still working on ideas for them.  And yes, shining coins drop from most enemies, the exceptions being more realistic creatures and 'good' animals that you're not supposed to kill.  The tougher enemies drop more than one coin, too.

My response.
As for Koopas, now you just need to hack in technically-living dry bones using a FATAL magic potion...or something.

Oh?  I thought people didn't like the colors... at any rate, it'll be easier to recognize at a glance which items are imaginary and which aren't.  And be easier on players with OCD.  Though there's still keys to work in, which leaves room open for more subspace stuff...
And Koopas already have technically-living dry bones: try a potion of undeath.

I've still got to make some adjustments to material values and reaction processes, especially as far as melting down items is concerned.  Producing certain materials can have...unexpected effects on your fort's perceived value.  I haven't quite worked out the kinks with using coins in reactions.
Here's a thought... adding extra options for 'reclaiming' a fort built by another species... like giving special reactions that can only be performed by using another species' workshops or items.  I'm also going to try and create a kind of alchemical mythology for this mod, based around the three 'special' metals... shining gold (yellow), firemetal/philosopher's stone? (red), and adamantine (blue).

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 12, 2013, 03:52:34 pm »

Would having Ztars make more advanced races siege/ambush you less due to the lowered value of the fortress? Could be semi-useful for that, if so(and you have a lowish population).

Edit: Also Spikes are grazers right? Do you need to periodically leave them to graze or will they find food on their own like they seem to be able to find water. (Probably shouldn't have embarked on some badlands with them!)

Edit Edit: Ah nevermind when starving they went to my food storage. Maybe because it wasn't outside at first?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:47:32 am by Asra »

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 12, 2013, 11:09:21 pm »

Merchants won't take a Ztar even if you give it to them for free.  It actually has negative value, you have to give them some other valuables just to get them to accept it... and even then, it's so ridiculously heavy that they probably won't be able to carry it.  Atom-smashing is the best solution.

Hm, maybe I should add in some other nobles for shyguys.  Nothing too big, but at least enough to make things simpler.  The shyguy game is going to be changed quite a bit in the future (while retaining the same basic theme), I'm still working on ideas for them.  And yes, shining coins drop from most enemies, the exceptions being more realistic creatures and 'good' animals that you're not supposed to kill.  The tougher enemies drop more than one coin, too.

My response.

Oh?  I thought people didn't like the colors... at any rate, it'll be easier to recognize at a glance which items are imaginary and which aren't.  And be easier on players with OCD.  Though there's still keys to work in, which leaves room open for more subspace stuff...
And Koopas already have technically-living dry bones: try a potion of undeath.

I've still got to make some adjustments to material values and reaction processes, especially as far as melting down items is concerned.  Producing certain materials can have...unexpected effects on your fort's perceived value.  I haven't quite worked out the kinks with using coins in reactions.
Here's a thought... adding extra options for 'reclaiming' a fort built by another species... like giving special reactions that can only be performed by using another species' workshops or items.  I'm also going to try and create a kind of alchemical mythology for this mod, based around the three 'special' metals... shining gold (yellow), firemetal/philosopher's stone? (red), and adamantine (blue).

That's all cool.

But I liked the Shy Guys have the colored blocks. I just think they should have been able to obtain materials of every visible color in DF in order to allow for more colorful megaprojects. In fact, that seemed like part of the pull of Shy Guys was that they are sort of like a megaproject sandbox mode.

One that note, on the sujbect of neat colorful stuff. I think you should think about adding a final special metal of green variety. Mario games seem to like using Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow as the main colors. From the Yoshis and '!' Blocks from SMW to player character theme colors and possible coin colors in NSMBU. What the properties of such a metal would be and what it would be used for I don't know, but I think it logically makes sense in that regard.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:20:33 pm by EmeraldWind »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 13, 2013, 09:34:41 am »

But I liked the Shy Guys have the colored blocks. I just think they should have been able to obtain materials of every visible color in DF in order to allow for more colorful megaprojects. In fact, that seemed like part of the pull of Shy Guys was that they are sort of like a megaproject sandbox mode.

That was the main idea, but I think 'create as much stuff as you want within 50 seconds of embarking' was pushing it a bit.  The shyguy game wasn't really fleshed out, but don't worry - they'll retain that basic feel when it's done, although you might need to get a regular fortress up and running first.

One that note, on the sujbect of neat colorful stuff. I think you should think about adding a final special metal of green variety. Mario games seem to like using Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow as the main colors. From the Yoshis and '!' Blocks from SMW to player character theme colors and possible coin colors in NSMBU. What the properties of such a metal would be and what it would be used for I don't know, but I think it logically makes sense in that regard.

Green is a good idea.  Not sure on details, but it'll probably be used in warp pipe construction.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 13, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »

I think one of the stray chain chomps in my fortress killed a planter. Does that happen? Maybe I had too many close together...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:46:44 pm by Asra »

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 13, 2013, 09:21:11 pm »

I think one of the stray chain chomps in my fortress killed a planter. Does that happen? Maybe I had too many close together...

Yeah. Chain chomps basically need to be chained down for a reason. They don't do docile.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 14, 2013, 06:13:14 pm »

Well will you look at that... I forgot to remove NOEAT, NODRINK, and NOEMOTION from Koopas (it was from when I was testing out Piranha Plants, I would just seal them all in a room and go do something else while I waited for them to mature).  So that explains the lack of tantrums and the zombie-like lack of responding to high-quality stuff.  Eh.  Just remove it for now if you want to play Koopa as they should be.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62