Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waste disposal  (Read 440 times)

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waste disposal
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:52:42 am »

So, after having an "incident" involving my Refuse Stockpile filled with dead trolls and goblins and a necromancer, i decided to have my waste in a safe place.

The solution i have right now is a 3x3x2 Pit with a retracting bridge over it. The problem now is, that everytime i let one of my minions pull the lever, the stuff gets flung in the air, littering the whole area. Most of it lands in the pit, but still, you know, it have to be perfect, or some dwarfs may be hurt.

Is there a way to have the refuse disposed into the pit without it flying through the air? Im working with .07 (i think), so no minecarts right now, i will update, when this fort goes to hell....

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waste disposal
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:56:02 am »

Are you sure your bridge is retracting and not raising?

Try changing the refuse handling in the standing orders to dump refuse items you don't want, instead of saving them.  Put a dump activity zone on the edge of the pit and leave it open, and they should throw the stuff down the hole.  They'll do the same with stuff you manually order for dumping.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:59:55 am »

yep. i even reconstructed (is that a word?) it, because i wasnt sure about it. And i tried the "just throw it down there"-Thing, but my dwarfs refused to do it. Dont know what im doing wrong here.... i mean, i have the garbage zone in the middle of my bridge, so only few parts are not hitting the pit, which isnt a big deal

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:18:40 am »

The dump zone is not supposed to be over the open space.  It should be adjacent to the empty space.  Dwarves will stand in the zone, and throw stuff out of the zone off the cliff.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.