Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Reverse" burrows?  (Read 827 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Reverse" burrows?
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:38:52 am »

Burrows are wonderful, but is there a way to get them working in reverse? Instead of having a dwarf work only in this zone, is it possible to have a dwarf work anywhere EXCEPT in this zone?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: "Reverse" burrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:42:03 am »

Cover the entire map in a burrow (which isn't very hard and you can designate over various z-levels) and then erase the parts where you don't want Dwarfs to be.

I don't think there is another way, although it really isn't as tedious as it sounds.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:29:18 am »

I don't think there is another way, although it really isn't as tedious as it sounds.
It'd be a great deal easier if you could copy/paste burrows, thereby allowing you to quickly create near-clone burrows by creating a base and then creating cloned-modifications of it for actual use.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:30:52 am »

Just remember that a 'reverse burrow' arrangement won't prevent the dwarf from walking through the forbidden area.  They'll just prevent the dwarf from using any items or buildings in that area.  They'll still happily walk through the forbidden area to get to something on the other side.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:13:41 pm »

Yeah, that's fine. I just have a dedicated dwarf supplying a minecart with stone that is the whole map away from the fort, and I don't want to see my other stone haulers walk across the whole map to do that job if for whatever reason my dedicated dwarf was busy at the time.
Feeling down? Click Here!