Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about bedrooms  (Read 1853 times)

rawville

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about bedrooms
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:25:53 am »

Making bedrooms is something i've never really liked. I was wondering if there would be any negetive effects to just carving out one giant room, spacing beds so that each will have a 3x3 space defined as a bedroom to put cabs and coffers on, and just letting the dwarfs sort things out from there? Are inclosed rooms with doors neccessary to make them happy with their living quaters? Are there any negative thought associated woth other dwarves passing through their bedrooms? Thanks for the answers :)

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about bedrooms
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:00 am »

That should be fine, the only problem I can think of is that if they overlap, the room value will go down.  Just having a personal bedroom is a good thought though, no matter how cheap it is (unless they're a noble)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:02:05 am »

Dwarves have no privacy requirements.  The only shortcoming is not having any walls to engrave, but that only matters for nobles.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:59:07 am »

Yeah, a room with the beds spaced so you can designate decent rooms without them overlapping is fine. I started doing that the moment I knew how vampires chose their victims, since if there's a witness who accuses I'm one step closer to having a fount of immortality justice.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:33:39 pm »

i thought that personal bedrooms without walls/doors resulted in 'without a proper room' thoughts.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:24:37 pm »

Nobles only.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »

I exclusively use beds crammed in at maximum density (1 tile per bed), dwarves are perfectly happy with this and it should prevent vampire feeding, they only get "without a proper room" if they sleep in a bed which isn't designated as their bedroom, it doesn't matter if their bedroom contains 50 other dwarves' beds. There is ONE problem with cramming in beds at maximum density. Sometimes idle dwarves go back to their room to hang out, and if there are multiple dwarves hanging out they'll socialize. Having proper individual bedrooms, or spacing out the beds, prevents this form of socialization.

AFAIK nobles don't get upset by sharing bedrooms, it's just that the room value tends to be relatively low, or if the room value's not low, due to a shared artifact or something, the noble will get upset about the high room value of the other dwarves.

In my experience overlap doesn't matter at all, all that happens is the value of the overlapping tiles are divided over the rooms sharing the tile. So if two beds share a room, each gets half the room value. So there is no benefit in manually making each bed take half the room without overlap - either way, each gets half the value. In fact I believe some tiles, such as walls, are not shared, but each room gets the full value. Hence making larger rooms which overlap, can actually result in increased room value over smaller non-overlapping rooms. So generally 5x5 bedrooms overlapping, will have equal or higher value than 1x1 rooms.
In some distant past versions of DF the algorithm was different and overlapping rooms would kill the room value. But now the value is just shared so there's no harm in overlapping.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 03:05:09 am »

In my experience overlap doesn't matter at all, all that happens is the value of the overlapping tiles are divided over the rooms sharing the tile. So if two beds share a room, each gets half the room value. So there is no benefit in manually making each bed take half the room without overlap - either way, each gets half the value. In fact I believe some tiles, such as walls, are not shared, but each room gets the full value. Hence making larger rooms which overlap, can actually result in increased room value over smaller non-overlapping rooms. So generally 5x5 bedrooms overlapping, will have equal or higher value than 1x1 rooms.
In some distant past versions of DF the algorithm was different and overlapping rooms would kill the room value. But now the value is just shared so there's no harm in overlapping.
Actually what happens to room value is that the total value of any overlapping rooms is divided by 4 (excluding walls/doors, floor space is what has to overlap). As such if you are overlapping more then 4 rooms in the same space the room actually comes out ahead of where it would be if you just divided all value in the shared tiles by the number of rooms, but in anything less then that the value takes a harder hit then you would expect. (Of course it's still not anything that a single piece of legendary furniture can't solve :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 01:19:02 am »

I tend to prefer the 3x3 "open plan" bedrooms myself. Saves designating dozens of intricate cubicles, fixing sections with constructed wall where ore or gems are found, and manufacturing doors. The beds still do need to be zoned, though.

I will have to try this super-overlappery; I hadn't realized that room value division was exactly four. I'll have to see if I can give everyone a Royal Bedroom.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?