Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All trees yield just "logs", dwarves not moving them into stockpile. Uh...?  (Read 835 times)

Octopod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I just made a new region and made two embarks, both of them contain two different types of trees that yield just gray "logs", which isn't in the stockpile wood list I believe, which would explain why the dwarves won't move them to it.

Can anyone confirm this is my region save's problem? The only thing I modified in it was removing aquifers through the text files (using instructions from the wiki.) Can I somehow save my region and return these trees to normal?

It's also worth noting that I didn't mod DF in any way except for changing the ASCII tileset.

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What kind of trees are they?

Octopod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What kind of trees are they?

This embark has Mable and Kapok. My last one had Pine.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Did you copy paste anything while removing aquifers? Or saved your stone files twice? Duplicating RAWs makes a lot of fun stuff happen (Like Trolls wearing soap clothes invading your fort).

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile

Sounds like a raw duplication error; they are the most common cause of material property frameshifts. Most likely cause is a slipup when removing aquifers, which IS a mod, as are tileset changes. Your save is hosed, and you are probably better off starting with a fresh DF install.

Octopod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you copy paste anything while removing aquifers? Or saved your stone files twice? Duplicating RAWs makes a lot of fun stuff happen (Like Trolls wearing soap clothes invading your fort).

I removed aquifers successfully a couple times before (Ctrl+H, replace all [AQUIFER] with (AQUIFER) on three txt files, can't name them off the top of my head). Would this problem happen if I didn't replace [AQUIFER] on all three txt files, just maybe one or two on accident?

Sounds like a raw duplication error; they are the most common cause of material property frameshifts. Your save is hosed, and you are probably better off starting with a fresh DF install.

Alright then, I guess. Is there a way to generate worlds without aquifers, and if so, could you point me in the right direction? (I don't know if PerfectWorld does this)

Most likely cause is a slipup when removing aquifers, which IS a mod, as are tileset changes.

Also yeah, I just wanted to rule out the possibility of it being a mod problem because I just took off one of those all-in-one mod packages that includes simplifying wood types.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

If you did what you said you did there should be no problem.
But obviously there is a problem so you probably accidentally did something wrong. Removing the aquifers never caused trouble for me so just try it again (download the game again) and hope you do it right this time

Octopod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, my new region doesn't have this problem. Thanks for the help.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile

Why does everyone hate aquifers?

Octopod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just started playing. I don't even know how channeling or the physics of this game work so I can't possibly get past any aquifers.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unlimited water and drainage are only benefits if you plan on using 'em.  Unlimited hazardous terrain and job cancellation are pains in the ass no matter what.  And a first year that goes poorly can break a fortress, there are no buffer zones and little margin of error.

I don't hate the things, but I do consider 'em a nuisance a lot of the time.  I can see why they'd bother some people more than they do me, though.

I've just started playing. I don't even know how channeling or the physics of this game work so I can't possibly get past any aquifers.

Try embarking in a location that covers multiple biomes, one but not all of which contains an aquifer.  You should have a safe easygoing spot to dig early on, but you can go looking for the groundwater after you've got some safeguards in place.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:59:16 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

I play this game for almost two years now and I never start a fort without modding out aquifers :P

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I play this game for almost two years now and I never start a fort without modding out aquifers :P
This was me. However, my experience has now taught me that if you can circumvent the aquifer, it's a superior water source to streams, oceans, lakes and ponds. Infinite supply, clean water, infinite flow for power needs. It has all the advantages of the other water sources without the problems, PROVIDED you can get around it to get into the underground so it's not an obstruction to mining deeper.

Generally, to take advantage of an aquifer, I embark at a boundary condition, where one of my regions has an aquifer (say, F1) and one does not (say F2) and I can therefor bypass the aquifer until I'm ready to breach it and use it.